“A delightful place to enjoy fine food and watch the sun go down”

Franschhoek Kitchen
Ranked #24 of 76 Restaurants in Franschhoek
Price range: US$20 - US$40
Cuisines: European
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Welcome to Franschhoek, one of the culinary hot spots on the African continent. Our estate restaurant - Franschhoek Kitchen, is rated one of the valley's leading restaurants. Franschhoek Kitchen's standards are based on the best international cuisine but our heart lies in the simplicity and pureness of each and every ingredient. High dining is for others, we prefer to see our guests enjoy a home-made dish, inspired by the country we live in and the farm we work on. Our vineyard is heavily influenced by the seasons, so are we, so is our food - nature at its best, brought onto your plate - either in the dining room, amidst the vines outdoors, or in form of a picnic along the Franschhoek river - always with a glass of award winning wine from our estate. Are you going to be taking a adventure on Franschhoek's super popular WINE TRAM? Make sure to stop at Holden Manz and enjoy a light meal downstairs to fill the gap or our delicious a la carte menu upstairs on the deck overlooking the majestic mountains of Franschhoek - a must do!
Loughborough, United Kingdom
“A delightful place to enjoy fine food and watch the sun go down”
Reviewed 11 August 2014

I was seated on the outside terrace on the first floor overlooking the vineyards of the Holden Manz Wine Estate. There are two rows of tables on the terrace: one row next to the edge of the terrace with nothing between yourself and the vineyards and mountains, then a second row set back behind the first row. If I visited again, I’d be sure to request a table on the same row I was on, which was the first row, because the view was wonderful (see my photos). I watched the evening sunset throughout my meal and I’d recommend booking your table at a time that allows you to savour the changing light conditions as you dine. As I watched other diners arrive in the dark later on in the evening, I could not help feeling like they’d missed out greatly on seeing this natural spectacle.

Both the food and wines complemented the views well. I started with ravioli and had steak for mains. Both courses were delicious and presented very well. My steak was cooked just as I had requested. I chose a different Holden Manz wine with each course. Although non-estate wines were available, if desired, I preferred the novelty of drinking wines from within the estate I was dining at. All the wines I ordered were excellent and I particularly enjoyed the “Good Sport” that I had with my dessert (this was essentially their own Port style wine).

I found the complimentary pick-up and drop-off very helpful because I was staying in central Franschhoek and the restaurant is a short drive away. It strongly recommend booking because all the tables on the terrace were full. By European standards, this dining experience was very good value and I would return again if visiting Franschhoek.

• Visited March 2014
2 Thank sigosling

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Somerset West, South Africa
“Very dissapointing!”
Reviewed 15 June 2014

I was allured by the promise of the lovely views, where in reality we were seated in the main restaurant section with zero views - despite the fact that I asked for a table with a view when making our reservation.
For the prices charged for the food we expected a culinary delight instead the food was presented very dull and uninspiring served in microscopic portions. I was keen on ordering the duck, but was informed that it is served very pink which I know is technically the right way to serve it, but I am currently pregnant which means I should not eat any under cooked food, so when I asked if mine can be cooked a bit more due to my circumstances, I was bluntly told that the chef will not serve it any other way - very accommodating...regardless to say I had to order something else.
The desserts was the highlight of our experience, although by that time we were ready just to get out of there.
Considering all the other fine dining establishments in Franschoek & the Boland - I will suggest you don't waste your time & money @ The Franschoek Kitchen @ Holden Manz

• Visited June 2014
“The views.....”
Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

This restaurant offers brilliant views summer or winter. In summer the balcony brings a much needed breeze and in winter the crackling fireplace heats up the inside rooms where huge windows gives you views of the yellow, red and green leaves. The food is good, there is a new chef and Kobie's service is brilliant as always. I liked my lamb but my partner was not blown away by his fish. All in all- a good experience . Worth a visit.

1 Thank Reenwoud
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Over fussy and very expensive.”
Reviewed 7 May 2014

Visited this restaurant recently for lunch.

We ordered two different fish main courses (at R170 each); cheapest main on the menu was vegetarian option at R130. Starters and sweets averaged at R70.
Three Tuna medallions came with a risotto of very chewy octopus; rice was correct with just a slight “bone”.
Two small medallions of Cob were served with shredded ham and undercooked frozen peas & sweet corn.
We requested chips and were supplied soft halved small potatoes which had been briefly fried.
Service was very good; shame the meal did not come up to the same standard.

There were two wine lists, one of estate wines and a small selection of other wines from the valley. A bottle of estate Dry Rose at R85 on the table was very enjoyable. The only estate white available was a Chardonnay at R245 which was recommended to us; there were however more reasonably priced white wines on the non-estate list.

The venue is positioned in the middle of a vineyard; views from inside are disappointing; there is an outside first floor terrace with an excellent view which was where we were able to sit.

• Visited April 2014
Bordeaux, France
“Best meal in Franschhoek”
Reviewed 24 April 2014

We had an evening meal here, together with a superb bottle of Big G!
My lamb shank was very tender, my husband thought his steak spot on and the fresh vegetables were lovely. Try the cafe gourmand as a taster pud.
Chef came out to speak to us and check we were happy with the meal, a lovely atmosphere with excellent service.
As an alternative [or in addition] take the Franschhoek Wine Tram blue route and book for lunch!

• Visited April 2014