“Wonderful food & wine”

Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 13 July 2013

We came in the off season, and were one of just a few to enjoy the beauty of this restaurant. Food was delicious and the wine went well with the steak that we ordered. The staff was attentive and we tried the wine tasting before dinner and was a great social event.

Reviewed 19 May 2013

I've never reviewed anything here previously, leaving my partner to do the reviews. However, after our experience of eating here I feel I must warn potential diners. The main food was OK, and as others have pointed out is traditional French, so lots of meat. I opted for pasta, which was edible but nothing to rave about. We then decided to order dessert - which was a bad move. But we were tempted by profiteroles, with hot chocolate sauce and Creme Brûlée. After waiting an incredibly long time, our desserts arrived. The Creme Brûlée looked normal - but after the first mouth full, we found it was cold and was also melting and going to liquid! Then on to the Profiteroles - this was a new experience for us, as there was not cream filling them, but ice-cream and there was no 'hot chocolate sauce', but a cold sort of chocolate setting on top of the profiteroles. We tried to eat them but both were pretty disgusting. We ordered the bill and I went up to pay. I then decided that I had to say something to the Chef. He came over and I explained that there was no 'hot chocolate sauce', he then said 'yes' there was, so I said 'no' there wasn't. Our 'conversation' continued, with 'chef', arguing with me! I've eaten in a lot of places, from 'fish & chip' to michelin star establishments and I've never had an argument with a chef - unbelievable! There are many great places to eat in the area, choose any one of them and I'm sure you're have a nice time - but I really cannot recommend this restaurant.

1  Thank Julie01442
Reviewed 12 May 2013

Traditional c1970's French menu, poorly presented, poor standard of cooking, extremely slow service, grossly over priced food, appallingly bad deserts. We complained to the head chef who basically told us we were talking c***. The only redeeming feature of this restaurant is Chamonix wine at cellar prices (which is mad). To the owners and the head chef I have this message, go to Jordan's and you'll see instantly the difference between one of SA's top restaurants this rubbish.

TA readers you have been warned, AVOID until the head chef is given the boot.

2  Thank WineTour69
Reviewed 9 April 2013

from the starter to the dessert, it is really french food !!!! I liked almost everythings, the tournedos rossini is the best one i ever had. the apple pie is perfect, the service is good, the chief is friendly, i will go bacck soon... Thanks for this menu !!!

Reviewed 31 March 2013

I do not like writing bad reviews of restaurants. In the Western Cape there are so many culinary options that it is simply easier to not return to a restaurant after a bad experience. However, me and my partner were part of the group of six eating with Neil H (see earlier review) and I feel I need to back up his review to prove that his opinion isn't simply an attempt to discredit the establishment.

To be fair, there was nothing actually wrong with the quality of my meal, but the service and communication with the kitchen was awful, meaning that we were in the restaurant for over two hours without receiving two satisfactory courses.

Finally, to be accused of lying by the owner in an argument overheard by other diners is simply unacceptable, as is the owner shouting at his waiting staff in view of customers.

I am sure that on a 'good day' then the chef can produce decent food, but like Neil H we will not be returning whilst the restaurant is under current ownership.

3  Thank WindleshamDon