“Beautiful spot with inspiring food”

The Kitchen at Maison Estate
Ranked #31 of 81 Restaurants in Franschhoek
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Valley of the Huguenots is one of the premier wine destinations in the world. It is here that the Maison Estate produces wines that are nature's product, honed with skill, care and respect. Each vine is nurtured, each grape hand selected to give it that personal touch that is always home, always Maison. We make highly individual wines. We drink them with the people closest to us - and we love drinking them at home, where we can really explore the intimate character of each bottle," says Weylandt. "While travelling is my passion, the comforting memory of a meal, of intimate moments shared with good friends over good wine, always draws me home." This is Chris Weylandt's inspiration behind the name Maison - the French word for house. Explore Maison Estate. You won't regret it.
Reviewed 20 March 2014 via mobile

Just had the most wonderful lunch at The Kitchen at Maison Wine Estate. The setting is beautiful, we chose to eat on the stoep but you could have eaten indoors or on benches in the garden. All tables look over to the vineyards and mountains

It is a fairly limited menu but I still had trouble choosing!
We just went for a light lunch, charcuterie platters and tomato tartar with their house salads. The food was beautifully presented on wooden boards and tree trunks! The salad just looked too pretty to eat!
There were good main choices of fish, steak , pork belly and a wonderful sounding vegetarian dish.
Try the Viognier. It went perfectly with food and their Blanc de Noir is perfect for a summer's day

Although this restaurant wasn't cheap, I still believe that it offers good value, especially when coming from the UK
You could quite easily spend a few hours here on a summer's day

1  Thank lisasplaces

Reviewed 16 March 2014

Spent a lazy Saturday lunch at this pleasant establishment in Franschhoek. The choice if dishes was interesting with wonderful taste combinations and plated very enticingly. The wine list is limited and the service OK but not first rank. The surroundings particularly in the garden are very relaxing and spacious.

Reviewed 15 February 2014

Our family had Sunday lunch in this wonderful setting for my birthday. Our family spans all age groups - from an 80 year old granny to a 3 month old baby and a couple of teens in between. We had an amazing afternoon - from 12h00 to 17h00! The setting is amazing! Trust Chris Weyland to decorate it to the tee! Service was excellent! Patrick was our waiter - his service was impeccable and we left as "old friends"! Food portions were small, but really good, except for the rib-eye steak that was amazing! The desserts are to die for! Plan on all courses and take your time... it is worth it! Wine was really good too! Will definitely be back!

1  Thank Minette d
Reviewed 15 February 2014

Brave and brilliant food, big emphasis on seasonal ingredients and pretty much every dish incorporated a fruit of some sort. I loved the flavours and balance in the dishes, I particularly enjoyed the ox tongue, great dish. I must admit to having two desserts, although this may seem greedy, I wanted to keep tasting what the chef had to offer. We came here for lunch and it was a beautiful spot for it. I will definitely return for dinner and I hope they have a tasting menu as I could eat this cooking all night!...

1  Thank RBall94
Reviewed 8 February 2014

This was our lunch stop on a wine tour day and it was a perfect location. The views were gorgeous looking out over the vineyards and the food was equally good with a varied choice. The decor was simple but sophisticated and made for a very nice dining experience. It was pretty good value for money as well given the surroundings.