“Fantastic setting”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Franschhoek
Stony Brook Cottages
Reviewed 7 May 2013

Me and the family (four adults and a baby) stayed in one of the cottages for four nights whilst on a tour of the Cape region recently. Simply furnished and quite basic accommodation, but in the most beautiful setting, with the vines all around you and the mountains as a backdrop. The track from the main road to the cottages is a test even in the 4x4 that we had hired. Joy and the family made us extremely welcome and the wine tasting (and the Stony Brook wines) was first class. As others have mentioned the owners resident dog Boo is absolutely gorgeous and if we could have taken her home we would have, she welcomed us every morning and was a joy to have around. Stony Brook is a short drive from the centre of Franschhoek and idealy suited for exploring the wine region. We loved the place and hope to return one day. Thank you Joy for making our stay so memorable.

Room Tip: All the cottages are well situated
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Craig M, Winemaker at Stony Brook Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2013

Thanks so much for the positive review!
I'm also glad you mentioned the road up to the cottages. It's something we're very aware of and would like potential guests to be aware of as well. Unfortunately, when it rains, certain points in the road need to be built up to divert the water - preventing the entire road from being washed away. It is a very bumpy road and we have looked at having it paved but unfortunately it would cost us hundreds of thousands of Rands, which is just not in the budget at the moment.
We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 9 April 2013

Stony brook has amazing value for the price you pay , some more established self catering places are double the price. The cottages are simply furnished and have all the necessities you would expect. Great location and views , interesting rugged road to journey up in a small hired car !!
As a base you really cant ask for better.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank vumaas
Reviewed 25 February 2013

We (2 couples) spent 3 nights in the spacious cottages of Stony Brook in January 2013 and we enjoyed it tremendously! The cottages are well equipped and spacious; the swimming pool is a must after a wine tour and the dam is also great to swim in (much warmer than the pool!). Not to mention a view from the cottages to die for! Joy and her family are helpful, laid-back and very friendly while I had to resist taking the resident dog, Boo, home with me! The Stony Brook wines are very good and the tasting a must! Highly recommended stay in Franschhoek!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 February 2013

We have stayed often in Franschhoek, but never in anywhere so peaceful and beautiful. Nestling under the cliffs at the end of the valley, we loved it. With a lounge area and kitchen, at the price it is a steal, gives you more to spend on the eating places in town.
As for the wine tasting, I found the wines better and the experience better than any other vineyard. Unlike other vineyards where you feel that you are being read a script, here they will discuss the wines with you
FABULOUS

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 January 2013

We spent 3 nights in one of the spacious cottages of Stony Brook and just loved it!

Why?

- The (5) cottages are located in the middle of the vineyards with amazing views to the surrounding mountains offering all what it needs to enjoy the nature and atmosphere of a vineyard.

- The wine tasting is done by the owners which is - according to our experience - not usual in the vineyards around Franshoek and Stellenbosch. We received plenty of valuable recommendations for dining and wine tasting in the neighborhood. If we would have just relied on the guidebooks and our driver we would have missed some of our best memories!

- The vineyard of Stony Brook is family owned / managed and is far from being an artificial experience designed for the crowds of tourists which can be seen at Vergelegen or Morgenster.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank abeisswenger
Reviewed 30 November 2012

My fiance and I stayed in Nov 2012 and had a very nice time. Cottages were well appointed and very clean. Only a 10 minute drive from the village. We showed up late at night and it was very easy to find the key and our cottage. Great value for money!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 November 2012

I stayed for10 days at Stony Brook Vineyard cottages and had a great experience – I specifically went there to work on my studies and needed a quiet and relaxing place to stay. This is exactly what I got at Stony Brook. I had great service – from my first enquiry up to my departure. Joy responded quickly to all my emails and provided detailed directions and took initiative to ‘equip’ my cottage with an additional desk and bookshelf to help with my studies. One of the things that I liked the most was the resident Huskey, named Boo, who regularly came for a visit at my cottage.
I felt very safe at all times and kept my front door open during the day and into the night.
I enjoyed a wine tasting and the Stony Brook wines are well worth it.
I was very pleased with my stay there and recommend it for couples who want to explore Franschhoek.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo