“Fantastic Stay!”

Fransvliet Guest House
Reviewed 17 October 2013

We had a wonderful time at Fransvliet on our honeymoon. The rooms were beautiful, with gorgeous views of the vineyard and garden. We had a bit of rain, so it was very cozy to sit by the fireplace. The fabulous breakfasts were the best of our trip ... my husband thought the eggs were the best he'd ever had. Everyone who worked at Fransvliet was friendly and helpful, and we liked being a bit removed from town. My only complaint was that it was strange facing the main road, but the room was still very quiet.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 8 October 2013

After stopping by several inn's in town and finding them either too expensive, too quaint or too rustic we looked up Fransvliet online and thought the pictures looked nice so we decided to check it out. We stopped in last minute and were able to grab the last room. The accommodations were just what my friend and I were looking for and something that you'd find at a top resort in Napa or Sonoma like the Carneros Inn for a fraction of the price!

The rooms were clean and modern but with warm touch I'd call cottage chic. We had our own fireplace, a lovely sitting area, plenty of drinks and snacks to choose from, a spa-like bathroom and a view overlooking the vine landscaped countryside that was breathtaking.

The innkeeper Shirley along with the other staff could not have been friendlier. She gave us great restaurant recommendations and set us up at a lovely spa the next day. The breakfast they made was out of this world and they made a fresh squeezed juice of pineapple, lemon and ginger that was to die for.

I'd go back in a second with friends or a significant other!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Shirley K, Owner at Fransvliet Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 10 October 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to review Fransvliet. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that we compare favourably with other International Guest Houses.
We would love to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Fransvliet and the beautiful area arounfdFranschhoek.
Shirley Kilian

Reviewed 6 October 2013

Beautiful well-decorated BnB with beautiful gardens, fireplace in room, modern big bathrooms and superb homemade breakfast. Wonderful homemade sausages, juices and jams. Vicky and staff were very friendly and helpful. I stayed here twice and would go back again!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Shirley K, Owner at Fransvliet Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2013

Thank you very much for your comments. I am sorry I was travelling when you visited, but it is most rewarding to know that my staff perform so well when I am not around!
We look forward to your third visit!

Reviewed 29 September 2013

The best breakfast we had on our whole trip. Wonderful recommendations to go for lunch, dinner, and wine tasting within in the region. Friendly and flexible staff, beautiful room. Close to the the center of Franschoek. We rented bikes for one afternoon to ride into the center and to several wineyards. A hint about the costs for the rental would have been nice, but it wasn't much (I don't remember exactly, I think 100 ZAR per day).
We would totally recommend a stay for people who enjoy good food and wine and a small and personal athmosphere.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to comment via Trip Advisor -we so appreciate comments.
I am delighted that you enjoyed Fransvliet and all that the area has to offer. My apologies for the fact that you did not know the bike hire cost -I can assure you that was somehow overlooked, although it shouldnt happen. Yes, you are correct R100 per day, which is exactly half the charge by the bicycle shop. We hope to welcome youagain, in the future.

Reviewed 25 July 2013

What a brilliant place this is! Shirley and her team are amazing. Nothing is too much trouble for them, and they are so knowledgeable and informative about what to do and where to eat etc.

Beautiful understated but luxurious room with a great fireplace for the winter chill and for the romantic charm.

The views are also beautiful, and breakfast delicious.

We'll be back for sure.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you very much for your great review. We look forward to welcoming you again soon -perhaps in the summer. Everything changes totally in the vineyards, and the pool is perfect.

Reviewed 24 July 2013

This is a gem in Franschhoek, my boyfriend and I ended up staying 3 nights instead of 2. The rooms are finished to a 5 star standard, with every detail catered for... from the heated floor in the bathroom to the nespresso coffee machine, the room was perfection. The bed and pillows are just outstanding, providing a wonderful sleep after a hard day's wine tasting!

Breakfast at Fransvliet is an experience in itself with a wonderful special cooked up by the fantastic hostess Shirley, helped with a fantastic team. You can taste the freshness in every bite! Shirley and Victor's knowledge of the area steered us in the right direction for restaurants and vineyards.

I would personally go back in heartbeat and will be recommending it to all my friends and family.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your generous comments. We enjoy having guests who are full of enthusiasm - and are really enjoying their holiday.
We hope you will return to the Cape soon.

Reviewed 22 July 2013

I originally chose Fransvliet because of the wood burners in the rooms, and it was winter when I was visiting. What a great choice I made! Shirley and her team run a wonderful guest house. The service is impeccable, nothing is too much trouble.
The rooms are very luxurious and very spacious. The beds are very comfortable with excellent quality linen and electric blankets for those chilly nights
Victor lit my fire for me every night and it was wonderful to sit on the sofa in the sitting area with the fire going.
There is a separate dressing area, with a fridge to chill a bottle of wine
The bathroom rates as one of the best. Huge shower and good water pressure, large free standing bath, two sinks, dressing gowns, under floor heating, wonderful full sized toiletries.
There is a table and two chair on the veranada, with wonderful views over the valley and a pretty indigenous garden
Breakfast is also wonderful - fresh squeezed juices, good coffee, pastries/toasts, excellent local cheeses and Shirley's homemade preserves (try the green figs!!!). Then there is a cooked option, which was also delicious
There is also a swimming pool, good free wifi and you can buy Shirley's olives and preserves.
This is truly a special place run by a special lady. This is the only place I will stay in Franschhoek from now on

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo