“A real home away from home!”

Le Quartier Francais
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Franschhoek
“A real home away from home!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2011

With yesterday being such a beautifully sunny day I decided to get into my car and made my way to the winelands. I ended up in Franschhoek where i decided to do some winetastings at the farms i have never been to before. I was in no rush to get back to Cape Town and decided to have a lazy lunch at Le Quartier Francais. I absolutely loved their menu, it being tapas I could sample a whole lot of small dishes and i never felt rushed by the staff so i could order dish after dish.
And so after this great meal and lots of wine later I was in no condition to drive back home so the manager at the restaurant suggested that I get myself a room and stay over at their hotel. I was pleasantly surprised when i saw my room and they offered me their winter special rate of R950 per person. My room were absolutely delightful, i had my fire lit and well asleep infront of the tv.
Later that night i decided to have some roomservice, got myself a dvd from their dvd library and stayed indoors for the rest of the night.
So now I'm up and enjoying a delicious breakfast before heading back to Cape Town.
I will definately be back!

• Stayed August 2011
susanhux, Manager at Le Quartier Francais, responded to this review, 12 August 2011
A home away from home is what we hope all our guests experience when they stay with us! We are very proud of all the aspects that you mention in your review, thank you!
We hope to see you for stay and spoil, soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Cape Town Central, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2011

For many years now the combination between owner Susan Huxter and chef Margot Janse has proven to be a winning one. We are from the hospitality business ourselves and know how difficult it is to maintain the same standards day in day out. Le Quartier has been achieving this for many years receiving recognition from all over the world. Reception at check-in was very professional and efficient. The room was big, newly decorated and equipped with everything one requires for a luxury stay. All rooms are in the tranquil garden and one forgets that the hotel is in the middle of Franschhoek until walking out the front door. Breakfast was great. Staff is very friendly and professional without being too much in your face. Still the best choice when visiting Franschhoek. For my review on Margot Janse's food pls see my comments under "Tasting Room".

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CarmindaRob
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2011

This small hotel is perfectly nice, with generous sized rooms and a lovely open fire.

Negatives:
Service was generally okay but not overly warm or helpful. We carried our own bags as no assistance was offered. The feel is more of a guest house than a hotel really.
Bathrooms are old and definitely need a refurb.
Expensive for what it is.

Positives: Nice open fire with plenty of wood
Comfortable bed, quiet room
Nice nibbles provided in our room on arrival
Absolutely wonderful breakfast - a modest selection but every single item tasted fantastic - easily one of the best quality breakfasts I have ever eaten. World class.
The common room restaurant served beautiful tapas food, the best we have ever eaten.

Overall it was all nice but not excellent as a hotel, and I am dubious that it is worth the money. I probably wouldn't personally recommend it to a friend visiting Franschoek, but neither would I stop somebody going there. To be fair we were there in low season so maybe things seem a bit better when the sun is shining in the summer.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. We have recently completed renovating all our Auberge Room bathrooms. They have all now received a great life … picture lots colour, big mirrors, dimmable lights, new locally-produced bathroom amenities and more.
I am really sorry to hear that you were not assisted with your luggage. This not acceptable and we are investigating.
Comfort of our guests is of the utmost importance. I am happy to hear – on a positive note - that enjoyed you room and the Common Room.
London, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2011

What a great stay we had here as part of our honeymoon. When we arrived late on evening, in the pouring rain, the staff could not have been more amazing. They came and greeted us at the car with an umbrella and went on to upgrade us to a wonderful suite as a honeymoon treat, as well as giving us a lovely gift to remember our stay by. The room was stunning and, in the cold weather we really enjoyed lighting the fire one afternoon and warming up with a nice bottle of wine. The location is absolutely perfect - right in the middle of Franschhoek but you feel completely away from everything when you're in the hotel walls. The service was exceptional from start to finish - one afternoon we really fancied a cheese board for lunch but there wasn't one on the menu - we mentioned it to a member of staff who said they would get one arranged and sent to our room immediately - they did and it was amazing (and exceptionally good value). Our evening in The Tasting Room was just perfect too - yes it's a pricey meal but great value (especially compared to similar standard restaurants elsewhere in the world). The restaurant staff all know their stuff, were very friendly and accommodating (when we asked to move to a table by the window) and we felt really looked after all evening. The food was exceptional, as were the wine choices - we cannot compliment it enough and wouldn't stay anywhere else if we are lucky enough to return to the area. Thank you!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
susanhux, Manager at Le Quartier Francais, responded to this review, 4 August 2011
Thank you for reviewing your stay at Le Quatier Francais! We are delighted you enjoyed your time with us. We put alot of effort into creating an experience that is unforgettable and the little touches certainly help us achieve this. It was also wonderful to read that you had a perfect Tasting Room experience.

We hope to have you stay with us again soon!
Wassenaar, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2011

We enjoyed the magnificent breakfast at Le Quartier Francais during our Winelands trip. The food and hospitality in Franschhoek is unbeatable and the breakfast at Quartier Francais stood out even by these high standards.
The fresh fruit was presented in beautiful glasses and a very wide selection was on offer considereing it is winter here.
The children said their eggs were the best they ever had! All this comes at a certain price and for SA standards it was quite expensive. But most definately worth it.
Vey good croissants and muffins. We'll be back!!

Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank MarinaBahrain
There is really no better way to start the day than with a freshly baked croissant and muffin! We try offer a breakfast that is diverse and gorgeous and we are really happy that this was exactly what you and your children experienced.
Hopefully we will see the whole family, for another breakfast and perhaps a stay, in the not too distant future!
Surrey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2011

We spend three nights at Le Quartier Francais in the middle of our trip to South Africa. It was outstanding, from our wonderful petit garden suite accommodation, to the amazing tasting room dining experience on our last night.

The room was cosy & tastefully decorated. The bathroom was fabulous, with heated floor & powerful shower. Each night we had a hot water bottle waiting in the bed for us - what luxury! The room had a real fire & Daniel lit it for us as soon as we requested. As we were celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary, the staff very kindly left us a gift, a real surprise & much appreciated. In fact the staff were all very kind & helpful, smiling & eager to help, but not 'in your face' as some 'fancy' hotels have a tendency to be. Unobtrusive, that's the word!

The Food: The breakfast table was a pretty picture of colourful fresh fruit, juices & pastries followed by whatever you fancied prepared by the chefs. It filled us up for the day. We also ate at the The Common Room one evening, which was perfect. Lots of tasty things to try, washed down with very reasonable Cap Classique bubbles. The final night was The Tasting Room, where we had the 9-course menu. It was exquisite - well worth its place in the top 50 restaurants. The staff were knowledgeable & friendly, they described each course perfectly - my favourite was coffee roasted warthog loin, a taste sensation!

Franschhoek is a pretty town, even in winter. This hotel & restaurant is a perfect place to explore it from. I hope to return in another season to make use of the pool & enjoy the private garden.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2011

I would like to complain for unacceptable situation that we ve been on
4th june 2011 in ur restaurant Tasting Room!
Me and my husband experienced completely disrespect from waiters of
the Tasting room!
whiloe we were having a dinner-3 waiters were drinking from the bar!in
20min they were completely drunk-not able even speak!Dutch lady and 2
more dark ladies were drinking strait from the bottles that we were
paying 2000ran!!!as we took tasting menu of 9 dishes!the food was
oversalted as i suppose to think with same reason!there were no
managers!only staff whos completely drunk?
UNACCEPTABLE
DISRESPECTFULL
NOT PROFESSIONAL!!!
I am bagging you to take an action ASAP as we cant accept these
behaviour!since when we are paying more than 2000rand to watch
completely waisted waiters, who cant even speak and bring a napkin????

after all manager of relais chateaux said that we are liers!and none of above is true!
complitely dissappointment!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
7 Thank AnnaJaiet
susanhux, General Manager at Le Quartier Francais, responded to this review, 4 July 2011
Firstly this issue has been dealt with on a number of forums. So just to reiterate:

On receipt of your verbal complaint to your Guest House Manager we responded immediately with a call back, the Manager relayed your side of the story and gave us the email address of your husband to which we sent our first email of apology.

On receipt of your email complaint, I continued my investigation where upon I offered you a further apology and refund.

On receiving the email of complaint sent via Relais & Châteaux I further extended my investigation, as I find the accusations to be totally unrealistic.

I called our security company and viewed footage of the evening to find none of the behaviour you mentioned to take place.  The only person's to taste wines that evening were the two restaurant managers who were opening new bottles for the tasting menu.  This is the normal procedure when opening a new bottle before pouring.

I also took it upon myself to contact the guests of two other tables sitting near you.  My question to them was to find out if there was any strange behaviour from my staff, drunkenness or slurring during service and lastly did they see any of my staff "drinking out of the bottles".

Both guests were stunned and amazed at the accusations. Both guests knew exactly who I was referring to when I mentioned the complaint and both commented that it appeared you and your husband were not happy and it appeared you were arguing and this could possibly have led to you not enjoying your evening. Both guest commented and complimented the Dutch girl in particular.

My staff have all been with me for more than five years, they are proud of their restaurant and respect our standing both in the Top 50 restaurants in the World and as the only Grande Chef in South Africa and would never dream of hurting or damaging our reputation.