“Wonderful hotel exquisite food and wine”

Le Quartier Francais
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Franschhoek
“Wonderful hotel exquisite food and wine”
Reviewed 29 August 2011

This was my fourth visit to the quartier francais and as always all aspects of my stay was perfect

• Stayed August 2011

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed 15 August 2011

I stayed at the Four Quarters for the night. It was absolutely stunning. The room was kitted out to the max. Hot water bottles at the bottom of our bed in the evenings, such a spoiling. The staff were very kind, helpful and friendly. We had a magical night and I know that anyone else who stays at Le Quartier will love it.

Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
South Africa
Reviewed 12 August 2011

I love Franschhoek and Le Quartier Francais must be one of my favourite smaller hotels in the winelands. Le Quartier is wonderfully close to all the small and unique shops and we could walk to a restaurant to look for afternoon pancakes. We stayed in the House Suite that is absolutely perfect for families. My 3 year old run up the steep stairs and was so excited about the green soft toys on the two twin beds. The upstairs room also had its own TV and DVD player and she could happily watch her own movie while we enjoyed a glass of wine in front of the fire place. It had 2 separate bedrooms and the main bedroom is downstairs and open to your own private plunge pool. The lounge is spacious and it almost feels like your own home. They spoilt us with snacks and all the drinks are complimentary in the House Suite which is really good value. My 3 year old was very impressed with her red box full of sweets that she received in the room and our 8 month old baby got his own baby shampoo and baby powder. The breakfast table was really good and all the produce is fresh and of the best quality. I loved our time there with our kids but it is such a romantic hotel that next time we will surely go by ourselves!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 August 2011

With yesterday being such a beautifully sunny day I decided to get into my car and made my way to the winelands. I ended up in Franschhoek where i decided to do some winetastings at the farms i have never been to before. I was in no rush to get back to Cape Town and decided to have a lazy lunch at Le Quartier Francais. I absolutely loved their menu, it being tapas I could sample a whole lot of small dishes and i never felt rushed by the staff so i could order dish after dish.
And so after this great meal and lots of wine later I was in no condition to drive back home so the manager at the restaurant suggested that I get myself a room and stay over at their hotel. I was pleasantly surprised when i saw my room and they offered me their winter special rate of R950 per person. My room were absolutely delightful, i had my fire lit and well asleep infront of the tv.
Later that night i decided to have some roomservice, got myself a dvd from their dvd library and stayed indoors for the rest of the night.
So now I'm up and enjoying a delicious breakfast before heading back to Cape Town.
I will definately be back!

• Stayed August 2011
susanhux, Manager at Le Quartier Francais, responded to this review, 12 August 2011
A home away from home is what we hope all our guests experience when they stay with us! We are very proud of all the aspects that you mention in your review, thank you!
We hope to see you for stay and spoil, soon!
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed 4 August 2011

For many years now the combination between owner Susan Huxter and chef Margot Janse has proven to be a winning one. We are from the hospitality business ourselves and know how difficult it is to maintain the same standards day in day out. Le Quartier has been achieving this for many years receiving recognition from all over the world. Reception at check-in was very professional and efficient. The room was big, newly decorated and equipped with everything one requires for a luxury stay. All rooms are in the tranquil garden and one forgets that the hotel is in the middle of Franschhoek until walking out the front door. Breakfast was great. Staff is very friendly and professional without being too much in your face. Still the best choice when visiting Franschhoek. For my review on Margot Janse's food pls see my comments under "Tasting Room".

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CarmindaRob
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 August 2011

This small hotel is perfectly nice, with generous sized rooms and a lovely open fire.

Negatives:
Service was generally okay but not overly warm or helpful. We carried our own bags as no assistance was offered. The feel is more of a guest house than a hotel really.
Bathrooms are old and definitely need a refurb.
Expensive for what it is.

Positives: Nice open fire with plenty of wood
Comfortable bed, quiet room
Nice nibbles provided in our room on arrival
Absolutely wonderful breakfast - a modest selection but every single item tasted fantastic - easily one of the best quality breakfasts I have ever eaten. World class.
The common room restaurant served beautiful tapas food, the best we have ever eaten.

Overall it was all nice but not excellent as a hotel, and I am dubious that it is worth the money. I probably wouldn't personally recommend it to a friend visiting Franschoek, but neither would I stop somebody going there. To be fair we were there in low season so maybe things seem a bit better when the sun is shining in the summer.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. We have recently completed renovating all our Auberge Room bathrooms. They have all now received a great life … picture lots colour, big mirrors, dimmable lights, new locally-produced bathroom amenities and more.
I am really sorry to hear that you were not assisted with your luggage. This not acceptable and we are investigating.
Comfort of our guests is of the utmost importance. I am happy to hear – on a positive note - that enjoyed you room and the Common Room.
London, UK
Reviewed 19 July 2011

What a great stay we had here as part of our honeymoon. When we arrived late on evening, in the pouring rain, the staff could not have been more amazing. They came and greeted us at the car with an umbrella and went on to upgrade us to a wonderful suite as a honeymoon treat, as well as giving us a lovely gift to remember our stay by. The room was stunning and, in the cold weather we really enjoyed lighting the fire one afternoon and warming up with a nice bottle of wine. The location is absolutely perfect - right in the middle of Franschhoek but you feel completely away from everything when you're in the hotel walls. The service was exceptional from start to finish - one afternoon we really fancied a cheese board for lunch but there wasn't one on the menu - we mentioned it to a member of staff who said they would get one arranged and sent to our room immediately - they did and it was amazing (and exceptionally good value). Our evening in The Tasting Room was just perfect too - yes it's a pricey meal but great value (especially compared to similar standard restaurants elsewhere in the world). The restaurant staff all know their stuff, were very friendly and accommodating (when we asked to move to a table by the window) and we felt really looked after all evening. The food was exceptional, as were the wine choices - we cannot compliment it enough and wouldn't stay anywhere else if we are lucky enough to return to the area. Thank you!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
susanhux, Manager at Le Quartier Francais, responded to this review, 4 August 2011
Thank you for reviewing your stay at Le Quatier Francais! We are delighted you enjoyed your time with us. We put alot of effort into creating an experience that is unforgettable and the little touches certainly help us achieve this. It was also wonderful to read that you had a perfect Tasting Room experience.

We hope to have you stay with us again soon!