“Great place for a quick getaway!”

La Cabriere Country House
Ranked #9 of 64 Franschhoek B&B and Inns
Reviewed 20 May 2012

My husband and I have just returned from a 3 night stay at La Cabriere Country House. We stayed in one of the three rooms at the pool house, which was very comfortable and tastefully decorated. The weather was too cold to make use of the patio but the cosy fireplace made up for that. Bernd and Monika(as well as the rest of their staff) were excellent hosts, helpful and friendly! The breakfasts were good and the afternoon tea and cake was a nice extra, also giving one an opportunity to have a chat with fellow guests if you wished.
I was impressed with the affordable bar fridge in the room- I tend to make a point of buying my own refreshments as paying ridiculous prices for bar fridge items can spoil an otherwise nice stay for me. So it was only on our last evening that I looked at the prices, as I had forgotten to buy myself some water, and saw that everything was well priced.
I know that this may seem like a non-issue but it's a pet peeve of mine. It also goes to demonstrate the general feeling of this guest house- that they are trying to make your stay comfortable and enjoyable.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 28 March 2012

My cousin and I stayed at La Cabriere for a few nights when doing the wine region. We thought the view was incredible and the rooms were lovely, but I would echo previous guests statements on the slightly tense attitude of the hosts. We made the mistake of trying to set our alarm on leaving and returning to our rooms but set it off by mistake (we weren't to know as the bells only ring in the main house where our hosts were staying). Instead of rushing to see if all was OK, the gentleman host came down and demanded to know what we were doing and why we'd set it off! I was very apologetic but I've got to say he was just down right rude. I realise I had disturbed him (though it wasn't even late, certainly not midnight) but it really tainted our stay. Such a shame as everything else about the hotel was wonderful; I think it's the best location - just outside of the town so it feels peaceful but close enough to easily get in for dinner. If they can work out the kinks in their customer service, it's a right little gem.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Gen A
Reviewed 7 March 2012

We stayed here for two nights at the end of a wonderful holiday, all accommodation prior to this had been self catering so was very welcome. Before we had arrived I was already impressed by the service provided by Bernard and Monica. Restaurants and wine tours were booked on our behalf and the recommendations were fantastic. We stayed in The Africa room and it had a fantastic view onto the pool area and it's own private terrace. The room was well appointed, not huge but perfect for our needs. Full marks for the excellent value mini bar as well with a great choice of local wines. Breakfast was good, varied choice although one of the ladies serving was unfortunately not the friendliest. I think all guests had arrived at the same time but still no excuses for rolling of eyes when asked for more orange juice. The view is slightly different to what is shown in the website as a new building is next door however there is no disputing that the view is stunning. What really impressed us though was the passion and enthusiasm Monica and Bernd demonstrated, they truly are wonderful hosts and are what makes this a unique stay. They are 100% dedicated to the customer experience.Nothing was too much trouble and they made us feel incredibly welcome whilst never compromising our privacy. We will return without a doubt. The wine tour was also great, many thanks to Jackie!

• Stayed: January 2012
Reviewed 2 March 2012

Great hosts,place and location. Stunning mountain views. Afternoon tea was a great touch. Would definitely recommend staying.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 March 2012

I had the benefit of staying at La Cabriere for two nights earlier this month with friends. I had a poolside room which had wonderful views that was well appointed. We were treated very well by good staff and the cooked breakfast is well recommended.

Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 February 2012

My husband and I had a lovely stay at La Cabriere Country House in Franschoek during our holiday to South Africa in February 2012. We were greeted by our lovely host who showed us to our room and informed us, to our delight, that we have been upgraded and we received an even nicer room than we hoped for. The room has fantastic views of the surrounding mountains and looks out onto the pool. We loved our four poster bed and fireplace. Late afternoon we were treated to delicious fresh carrot cake and Rooibos tea on the porch. Thank you to the staff for cooking us a delicious breakfast in the morning. Wish we could have stayed longer! Till next time!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 February 2012

Our family has visited Franschhoek many times now, when going to Southern Africa, but we never grow tired of its charm and great attractions. Having stayed in many accommodations in the region over the past 10 years or so, I must admit that none can match the beautiful setting, great service and comfort of La Cabriere Country house. Bernard and Monica looked after our every need and were so helpful with info about the town and the Winelands attarctions. The breakfast was absolutely amazing and it is clear that Monica and her staff put their heart and soul into the catering. If there would be just one reason to return to Franschhoek, it would most certainly be La Cabriere Country house. Thank you Bernd and Monica - we will return ...

Room Tip: We really enjoyed the Poolside rooms with their great location and views of the mountains