La Residence
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
View Hotel
The Last Word Franschhoek(Franschhoek)
Leeu House(Franschhoek)
Leeu Estates(Franschhoek)
Mont Rochelle(Franschhoek)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsbirkenhead housetuscan villacomplimentary car servicebeautiful buffetcape towngeneral managersister propertyfrench chateauvineyard suitewine countryroséworld classsouth africalaundry doneinfinity poolheaven on earthmain building
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 1 December 2011

This is not your typical review as it’s difficult to define La Residence in terms of hotel standards by the mere fact that it blows them all away. Therefore, I will spare you all the details regarding room cleanliness, value for money, etc and rather see how many superlatives I can cram into this review. La Residence is positioned in one of the most idyllic places on earth with uninterrupted views of the mountains and winelands. Smells of lavender and flowers surround the premises. The interior decorating is beyond imagination with every detail meticulously crafted to the point that you could spend days just admiring the variety of decor and artwork at this “hotel”. However, the crowning achievement for La Residence is the way you are made to feel during your stay. The personnel were amazing in that they managed to provide the feeling of complete privacy whilst still attending to our every whim before the thought had even occurred. The only way I can describe this is by likening it to a very warm family event. I really could go on about how amazing La Residence and its staff are but I will try sum up my feelings about this place. This was the destination I decided to propose to my fiancé and can say without hesitation or doubt that it was the best experience of my life. The staff of La Residence went above and beyond and made us feel truly special and welcome. Nothing was too big of a request, and everything was handled in the most eloquent of ways. I am truly grateful to La Residence and its staff, and can honestly say that is very difficult to put a value on the experience they are able to create for you. Whether you are deciding to propose or just looking for a break...La Residence is something special that needs to be experienced.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Steven F
Reviewed 5 November 2011

My husband and I stayed 4 nights here at the beginning of October 2011. Our expectation were very high having read the reviews and on a personal recommendations given by a very well travelled couple that had stayed here before. We have to say our expectations were exceeded in every aspect, this place just doesn't miss a beat, the service is intuitive, non-obstrusive and caring. By the end our 4 nights here we felt like we were leaving long lost friends when we departed, we really did not want to leave.

We stayed in the Maharani Suite and it was over the top blow your mind glamour. The room was huge, the decor was over the top and very unique and just so lovely! You may not decorate your home this way but what and exciting fun treat to live like this for a few days. We had a look in most of the rooms during our stay (they leave them open when no occupied and encourage you to snoop around, fun!) and they are all gorgeous and I would not be disappointed with any of them.

I am very fussy about housekeeping and hate nothing more than venturing out from your room to come back and find it not made up to perfection. Housekeeping here was impeccable. Every morning we would have breakfast on the terrace and come back to our room looking as if we had just arrived on our first day. After dinner every night on our return the room was stunning, often embelished with special treats and surprises.

The hotel arranged our two days of winelands tours and chose the best tour guide one could imagine and we had the best time.

My partner and I were also married here. We decided to kind of elope and get married, just the two of us. La Residence arranged the most amazing special day, everything was perfection. Chantell the events manager made sure everything was perfect before our arrival. Evan, front of the house, arranged a perfect setting for our ceremony and dinner. Edward (GM) and Nick (deputy GM) stood up for us at our ceremony and we felt like they were our best of friends by the end of our stay.

I must admit that while in the planning stages our our South Africa trip I had sticker shock at the room rates here but after our experience and coming home and reflecting I have so say it was absolutely worth every cent and the absolute highlight of our trip to South Africa (even if we were not married there) and the place we most yearn to return to.

Franschhoek and the surrounding area are absolutely stunning and photo do not do it justice. The hotel website in no way prepares you for the stunning beauty of the area and how gorgeous this property is.

My husband and I have travelled all over the world and tend to stay in Four Seasons level accommodations and this place blew them away.

Room Tip: You cannot go wrong with any of the rooms
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank ryzee
Reviewed 12 September 2011

La Residence is one of the best, nicest hotels I have stayed in anywhere in the world. Our room and bath were huge and extremely well appointed. The food, both breakfast and dinner were excellent. The service was terrific. The only complaint is the fitness center. It is small, needs more equipment and was not heated making it unusable on a cold day.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank erich802
Reviewed 28 July 2011

Our four days at La Residence were the highlight of our South African vacation. This is the most stunning hotel, in the most stunning location one could find. The staff are excellent, very well trained and made us feel comfortable the entire stay. The hotel food is also excellent and we seldom wanted to leave the premises. Dinners are most enjoyable and well worth the reasonable expense. This hotel may appear to be expensive when reserving...but it is not. It is a great value given the location, premises, room quality and great service. We have traveled the world over and have not come across another hotel of this quality.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank zimt
MichelinMandy, Owner at La Residence, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2011

Dear Zimt,
Thank you very much for your lovely comments. Many thanks for supporting La Residence and The Royal Portfolio. We are so lucky to have the oppourtunity to showcase our property in Franschhoek. We must admit that dinners at La Residence are often over looked with all the big name restaurants in the town but we think they're very special and a must do experience while staying at the hotel. We are very happy you enjoyed your evening and your stay at La Residence and we thoroughly look forward to your return visit.
Best regards,
The La Residence Team

Franschhoek,
South Africa

Reviewed 13 June 2011

The location, the decor the attentive staff, the wonderful food. Just cant say enough about what a great experience this was. We had the Blue Room and it was amazing! Our view of the pond with various birds coming and going was very special. We also spent a few hours at Le Petite Ferme and John's tour of his winery was quite special indeed. Hope to return to this part of the world one day.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple