“Exceptional”

Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Franschhoek
Cape Town, South Africa
“Exceptional”
Reviewed 16 July 2013 via mobile

Thank you to all the staff for an exceptional stay. This establishment is seven star. Want to have your every wim and desire met, warm friendly, accommodating, nothing is too much trouble. This is a definitely to be repeated experience. Opulent, inviting, just faultless. Peter and lee-Anne Hodson

Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Skintonic2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Rio de Janeiro, Br
Reviewed 24 May 2013 via mobile

One of the best hotels I've ever been, where the service makes you feel like royalty. You are received by the staff, with glasses of champagne and a small flower bouquets for the women ! We rented the 2 bedroom villa for the weekend and can't say that it could have been better. The rooms are super confortable and the bathroom is amazing. They open up your bed at night, light the fireplace and if you prefer your family can dine at the villa, instead of the restaurant. Private backyard with swimming pool. You have a 24/7 service.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank ChrisRocha
Kusnacht, Switzerland
Reviewed 25 April 2013

I was sorting through photos of our trip to South Africa, and our stay at La Residence in Franschhoek, and I just had to write a review to urge everyone going to South Africa not to miss out on this one-of-a-kind experience.

I was there with my family in February of 2013 to relax, enjoy and celebrate my birthday. There is no way I could have chosen a better place. I was a little nervous because we have never visited South Africa before, but the whole family enjoyed discovering a piece of this beautiful country. We were at Cape Grace for a week first, and loved it, and then we hired a driver to bring us to La Residence. I knew immediately it was going to be amazing as we came up the driveway through the gardens and vines. La Residence is a newly built hotel but this is not readily apparent. Everything looks and feels stately, yet relaxing. This is one of the few places I have seen where the ambience is both grand and comfy at the same time. Ceilings are very high, fireplaces are huge, floors are marble or granite or stone, but there are cozy sitting areas everywhere, lots of interesting things to look at as far as decoration, and a million places to hide with a book.

We stayed in a two bedroom villa, and I thought that was perfect. We had plenty of room, plenty of privacy (I heard no one during our stay) and an unbelievable view of vineyard, hill, and mountain. We had a pool which I was dying to use, but it was not heated, so I didn't get in except for dipping my feet.
The bathrooms are excellent, the toiletries I loved (can't remember what brand but it was new to me and they smelled really cool, kind of unusual). The beds are very, very comfortable and the pillows were good too.

All of that comes second place to the kindness and the good nature of everyone who worked at La Residence. These people were so, so nice. The villa we stayed in (number 4, I loved it) had a sister villa - each side shared a tiny entryway - and both villas were looked after by a lady named Joanna who had the only duty (I believe) to look after these two houses' every whim. I never experienced anything like it. She made us tea every morning and brought it down to our villa; she had a meeting with my kids to discuss what kind of birthday cake to make for me; she found out we liked scones, and we had these every day in the afternoon as a snack, delivered to our villa and set up outside like a Wonderland tea party; she asked which newspapers we liked to read, and these were brought with the tea in the morning. We also (if we felt so inclined) could have breakfast and lunch up at a clubhouse dedicated to the villa guests. This clubhouse, complete with tv room, small library, games, etc. and pool, was about ten steps from our villa.

And I didn't even say anything yet about the food and the wine!
La Residence is bottling its own wine now, and the vintage is very young, but still tastes fine. Each villa is presented a bottle to take home as a gift, which I did. I am saving it for a special occasion :-)
The men and women in the kitchen are a very impressive cooking force: we LOVED everything we ate! Everything! And all the pairings I thought were great too. We should probably have gone out to other places for a meal but it was just so nice there, we couldn't be bothered to leave the hotel.

I think for what a wonderful stay it was, the price is right, too. This is one hotel that is not too expensive for what it delivers. I really, really look forward to going back again, and I wish La Residence all the success it deserves. I heard that the same company will open a hotel in Cape Town, and I look forward to visiting this property too.

I did not visit the spa, so I don't know anything about it but cannot imagine it would be disappointing.

Room Tip: Stay in a villa if you can - it is like being at home away from home!
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank heavycat69
Reviewed 22 April 2013

This is the ultimate place to stay we absolutely love it. From the moment we drive up the sweeping drive, past the springbok we feel a warm welcome. Each room is beautifully decorated with fabulous views over the vineyards. The whole place has an eclectic style with art and objects collected from all around the world. The result is lavish but elegant and a real feast for the eyes. The food is delicious and the chefs go out of their way to cater for all tastes. What truly makes La Residence stand out though is the wonderful staff who go above and beyond to make your stay special.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sandy H
Cape Elizabeth, Maine
Reviewed 1 April 2013

I just left La Residence a few days ago and cannot stop thinking about my stay. The hotel was about half booked when my husband and I stayed, yet we felt as though we were the only people there. Every meal is done at your convenience (all delicious), the rooms are gorgeously decorated, the views are perfect and the staff was the most hospitable of any place I've been. Hands down, one of my favorite places I have ever stayed. Thank you!

Room Tip: Stayed in room 8, it was perfect and private.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe
Reviewed 31 March 2013 via mobile

I have had the great pleasure of staying at many high-end chateaux in France over the years and nothing I have experienced (not even Chateaux Le Crayers in Reims) comes close. This is spectacular, splendiferous spoiling on a grand scale providing a sophistication and jaw-dropping beauty unmatched anywhere in the area. Be certain to stay "in" for dinner which will enchant and any romantic will be in heaven! Congratulations to Edward and his team for a flawless experience. I cannot wait to return.

Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Malcolm A
Reviewed 31 March 2013

The only place to stay when in franchhoek.when We come with the children we stay in the magnificent villas, there are 5 villas ask for villa 4 or 5 down by the pool ,in fact tjey all great. Most importantly the staff are incredible and look after the children, the chef even bakes with them.if you are traveling without children you then stay in the 7 star hotel .....beautiful. you can also go to their sister hotel called the birkenhead right on the beach or try theit bushlodge...

• Stayed April 2012