“I'll be back!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Franschhoek
Pretoria, South Africa
“I'll be back!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2011

I only sent one night but had a most enjoyable stay. The garden and surroundings are beautiful and peacful. The accomodation was great and the service could not have been better. The spa treatment was one of the most enjoyable I have expereinced. Next time I am bringing my husband along an staying in one of the stunning villas, These are just awesome and I could easily spend a week here relaxing and exploring the lovely surrounding areas. It gets a definite "YES" from me!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
Cape Town
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2011

My husband and I had a truly fantastic weekend in one of the Villas. The villa itself was stunning with ample room and a divine bathroom! The food was heavenly, both dinner and breakfast. All the staff were extra friendly and helpful - they made us feel like VIPs! And last, but certainly not least, our session at the spa was magical - even my husband (who doesn't "do" spa treatments) admitted that he had not felt so relaxed in a long time! Thank you all for a very memorable stay!!!

Room Tip: We had a top floor, 1 bedroom villa - stunning!!!
NYC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2011

My jaw dropped when I entered my beautiful villa. It was more spacious and beautiful than my apartment back home! There was a working gas fireplace that we enjoyed, and we were welcomed by a full fresh fruit basket! The bathroom was enormous with heated floors and lovely lavendar bath products. No detail was overlooked - even the chocolates with turn down service was outstanding.

Breakfast was absolutely incredible. While it was certainly not the largest buffet I've ever seen, it was by far the freshest and best. Quality was absolutely top notch. A hot menu item was also included with our breakfast - I highly recommend the eggs florentine. I faithfully order eggs florentine or benedict just about everywhere and this was the best version I've ever encountered! We tried the attached restaurant for dinner, and thoroughly enjoyed our meal and were blown away by the extremely reasonable prices (a comparable meal in NYC would have cost at least three times as much).

Finally, we LOVED the pair of spotted eagle owls that lived above our balcony and the one opposite ours. We learned that they'd just appeared two weeks prior, but we were absolutely delighted by them! If you will be there soon, keep an eye for these beautiful owls!

The only improvement I would recommend would be to offer free wifi in rooms (however, there was a computer terminal with internet access in a common area that was free of charge).

Room Tip: I quite enjoyed my second floor room (I believe #18) and would choose one again over a first floor r...
Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2011

My husband and I are just home from 2 weeks in South Africa and Franschhoek Country house was a beautiful place. We recieved a warm welcome by the manager who personaly escorted us to our beautiful romantic old style room, with private balcony. Service and food were exellent. It was in an ideal location to explore the lovely quaint town of Franschhoek which has plenty of high quality restaurants and amazing scenery. We walked next door through a local vineyard in the morning sunshine where we did a wine tasting. Absolutley brilliant place to stay. Hope to visit again some time in the future.

Room Tip: All rooms are fab
Chennai (Madras), India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2011

Group of ten friends , very comfortable stay .
Celebrated one birthday hotel went out of the way to make it special .
Excellent fine dining. ---ravee

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
Zhuhai, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2011

After 6 years of visits to the area, this was by far the loveliest place I have stayed every in the Western Cape area and possibly the nicest place I've ever stayed in my life. Amazing accommodation and staff that just couldn't do enough for you. I can't believe it possible to have a bad stay at this lovely jewel. I'm planning my next trip now, I only wish it could be sooner!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Silver Spring, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2011

We stayed in one of the Villas, which featured an entry hall, huge living area with working fireplace and sofabed, large bedroom, large bath, and two large terraces. The country French decor was lovely and appropriate to this Huguenot-historied town, bedding of very good quality, Romantic bath, and the grounds were beautifully landscaped -- including night lighting of the restaurant terrace and water features that was magical. The welcome and service couldn't have been better, and the reception staff was very helpful in arranging rides to restaurants and the town center. The restaurant, Monneaux, was excellent in a town of contenders, and it's a lovely series of spaces with spot-on, but low-key, service. To be objective,I withheld one star of the rating because our room needed a few small tweaks (eg, knobs that came off, a broken ceramic piece of a faucet). In my heart and memory, however, the Villa was a pure 5 - elegant, delightful, comfort to the max.

Room Tip: The villas were well worth the extra $.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple