The Country House is set on the edge of town just off the main road. The courtyard has a central water fountain and great views of the surrounding mountains. The rooms are built around this central court yard. The rooms are quite elegant and tasteful. The entry way opens into a living room with a beautiful couch set in front of the fireplace. The living room is a great place to curl up in front of the fire and have a glass of wine. The beds are large, king beds and look out into the courtyard. The style feels very much like an English country house. The only downside to the rooms is that the bedrooms look out into the courtyard and don't feel very private. There is a balcony you can walk out to from the bedroom, but wearing your bathrobe in a public area may not be everybody's first choice.
The food was decent. It was well thought out for the wine pairings, but did not carry a lot of gusto on its own. Also, the wine pairing at dinner got a B- in my book. We had 4 different wines. Two were very tasty, one was okay, and one was flat out terrible. I'm definitely not picky with my wine, so for me to call a wine bad really means something. The bad wine didn't even blend well with its meal pairing. It was paired with the main course, which made the choice all the more noticeable. Overall, I give the dinner experience a 6 out of 10. Breakfast was a very tasty, healthy spread. That gets an 8/10.
The staff at the Country House are very friendly with the exception of the manager who showed us our rooms. He was in a huge rush and made the welcome procedure feel like a burden. This is really a minor critique though. The rest of the staff made us feel welcome and comfortable. Their responses to requests were on point and timely. I was impressed with them as a group.
Overall, this is a great place for a weekend get away or out-of-towners to get a feel for the South African wine country.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Surrounded by enchanting vineyards and majestic mountains, this small Boutique hotel is set on the outskirts of the town of Franschhoek, in the Cape Winelands less than an hours drive from Cape Town. Offering a selection of standard, luxury, garden cottages and the exclusive villa suites. With a top rated award winning restaurant, guests can relax and enjoy the hospitality, laze at the pool, enjoy a massage or stroll on the world-renowned charming town of Franschhoek. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travel Republic (UK), Expedia, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, HotelsClick, Cancelon, 5viajes2012 S.L., getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Franschhoek Country House & Villas reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Franschhoek Country House And Villas
- Franschhoek Country House & Villas Hotel Franschhoek
- Franschhoek Country Hotel
- Franschhoek Country Boutique Hotel