“Fantastic”

Franschhoek Country House & Villas
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Franschhoek
Reviewed 24 May 2010

We felt like stepping into a movie. 100 squaremeter suite, we were really satisfied with our stay. And the surroundings are really beautiful, and the staff were always very helpful

Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 25 April 2010

Before arriving I emailed bookings for dinner and a spa booking. Stupidly though I deleted my email and so requested confirmation from the hotel of the times I had booked. I got back from them what can only be described as a 'snotty' response implying that I was an inconvenience. Had it not been do close to our holiday I would have cancelled. The rates are expensive and the room lived up to what I expected however manners cost nothng and I felt their response was totally unacceptable.

As it turned out the time they gave me for the spa treatment was actually incorrect anyway and, as a consequence, I missed part of my appointment. Apologies were forthcoming but, again, not what I expected.

The room was lovely with our large comfy bed downstairs and a sitting room upstairs; both very country chic. Having a terrace on each level was lovely and we made the most of the views from here over the vineyards beyond with a glass of wine in hand - very relaxing.

The bathroom was stylish and modern though on arrival we had to request towels as none had been left and the complementary toiletries were not replaced once they had been used. Again - not the service expected of 5* hotel.

Food at the hotel was of a very high quality and we enjoyed both breakfast and evening meals. The highly acclaimed restaurant was quite competitively priced though lacking a little in terms of ambience. Perhaps this was because there were not many diners and we felt as though we were a bit on show with so many staff left standing around. Breakfast was served in a different venue and this was a lovely, light, airy room. Unfortunately, mistakes were made on our breakfast order on both days. This wasn't a massive problem but again, jarred.

It is, as has been said, too far out to walk into the town and there is little else but the hotel in the immediate vicinity. Franschoek itself is charming with a real village feel and a mix of little 'one-off' shops alongside larger, more upmarket ones. There are other restaurants and hotels in the town too and, if we were to return, I would investigte these rather than the hotel in which we stayed on this visit

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Gardener01
Reviewed 23 April 2010

This is a very nice, laid-back hotel with perhaps a slightly misleading name. Perhaps I just didn't look at the website properly, or view the location, but I was expecting a big hotel down a quiet road somewhere. This is more a collection of (very nice) buildings, right on the main road into Franschhoek. The rooms are nice (bathrooms a bit dated), the restaurant good and the staff are great. You wouldn't really want to walk into the town from here although it is OK for cycling.

I can't quite put a finger on it, suspect its something to do with how spoiled we were in hotels in Cape Town, but something here just misses the mark a bit without anything I could really criticise about the hotel itself. It's certainly not the staff, who were lovely and would do anything to help.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank SW75
Reviewed 13 April 2010

This was a beautifully designed hotel with quality features which ensured relaxation and enjoyment for all. A quietly romantic style room with lovely ensuite and views into the garden from a terrace. Breakfast was amazing and kept us topped up through the day until dinner in the evening.

Reviewed 6 April 2010

A lovely hotel, great facilities and a wonderful atmosphere. Excellent food and service. One night is not long enough and I will be going back as soon as I can.

• Stayed: March 2010
Reviewed 31 March 2010

What a nice place with friendly helpful staff, one of the best restaurants we have had on our vacation and very comfortable accommodation. We stayed in a luxury room but the manager showed us one of their suites - well worth the money and actually not that expensive- next time we will spoil ourselves!

Reviewed 31 March 2010

My wife and I disagree about this hotel she thinks 4 and I think 5, as I am writing a review it got a 5. I would happily go back to this hotel the rooms are expensive but they are extremely well decorated and they are set in beautiful grounds with two swimming pools. The decor is French Hugenots and we stayed in room 22 which had a drawing room, a huge bedroom, a balcony with two sun loungers and a bathroom with rolltop bath, shower, double basins and overall there was so much room we could have thrown a party and still had room to spare.

The complex is set on the main road, however we did not notice this at all, and as we had a car it was easy to get in and out of town and the surrounding winelands. The town is in easy walking distance although as with the rest of South Africa there is the odd beggar orpaking attendent around.

The breakfast was varied and there was enough for all, although the apple pancakes were a bit more like a dessert than a breakfast item. All the food was very tasty and you could sit on the balcony overlooking the gardens which is a great way to start the day. We did eat dinner in the hotel one night and I thought the food was very good, we did also eat in Reubens one night and I though the food in the hotel was cheaper and better than Reubens. I did not think the hotel was too expensive (although it was not cheap either) and the restaurant was very pretty plus they served Chocolate Block by the glass which is a very tasty wine.

The service in the hotel was excellent and we wanted for nothing, also the business centre was very good, the pool area is clean with ornate sun loungers and towels in baskets, plus drinks served by the attentive staff. There is a treatement/spa area however we did not have time for this as we were out and about in the wine lands. I would recommend visiting Spier as the wine is very good and they have a cheetah sanctuary, Bread an Wine have great food and their Chardonnay is excellent and Boekenhautskloop does the chocolate block which as I have said is excellent. The Thelema vineyard did some excellent wines and we also popped into the chocolate shop in the town and also the ice cream place in the centre of town is excellent.

Overall I would definitely go back to Franschhoek and I would go back to these villas, however when we go back to South Africa I would try out another villa first so that I could compare the prices Although the room was superb we spent so little time there that I am wondering whether a cheaper room would be a better use of money, however don't let this put you off as this is a beautiful place and you will no be disappointed.