“Beautiful hotel with excellent service”

Franschhoek Country House & Villas
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Franschhoek
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Beautiful hotel with excellent service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2010

We stayed at the Franschhoek Country House & Villas in a Villa suite. The main purpose of our visit to Franschhoek was to enjoy a few days of wine tasting.... however the hotel was so amazing we barely left the grounds. The Villa Suite was beautifully decorated and very spacious with all the mod cons. We had a large balcony on which we spent the evenings drinking fantastic wine into the early hours. The food at the hotel restaurant far exceeded our expectations and even the lunch menus were well thought through. My husband ordered the prawn dish twice in one sitting!

The service was also spot on throughout our stay. We were greeted with welcome hors d'oeuvres and fizz in our hotel room. They weren't intrusive yet we never wanted for anything. They even managed to pull some strings at the last minute and get us a table at Le Quartier Français. Thank you Franschhoek Country House & Villas - we will be back next year!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
dublin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2010

My husband and I stayed here as part of our honeymoon in March and we throughly enjoyed it. We got an upgrade because of our honeymoon and the room was amazing, so spacious, clean and luxurious. The staff were so friendly and helpful and we received champagne on arrival. They also had a courteous driver service that was fantastic - they drove us everywhere at no additional cost. I also used the spa and had the best massage I had anywhere in S.A and it was very reasonable. I would very much recommend a stay here and would love to go back myself!!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2010

We felt like stepping into a movie. 100 squaremeter suite, we were really satisfied with our stay. And the surroundings are really beautiful, and the staff were always very helpful

Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
england
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2010

Before arriving I emailed bookings for dinner and a spa booking. Stupidly though I deleted my email and so requested confirmation from the hotel of the times I had booked. I got back from them what can only be described as a 'snotty' response implying that I was an inconvenience. Had it not been do close to our holiday I would have cancelled. The rates are expensive and the room lived up to what I expected however manners cost nothng and I felt their response was totally unacceptable.

As it turned out the time they gave me for the spa treatment was actually incorrect anyway and, as a consequence, I missed part of my appointment. Apologies were forthcoming but, again, not what I expected.

The room was lovely with our large comfy bed downstairs and a sitting room upstairs; both very country chic. Having a terrace on each level was lovely and we made the most of the views from here over the vineyards beyond with a glass of wine in hand - very relaxing.

The bathroom was stylish and modern though on arrival we had to request towels as none had been left and the complementary toiletries were not replaced once they had been used. Again - not the service expected of 5* hotel.

Food at the hotel was of a very high quality and we enjoyed both breakfast and evening meals. The highly acclaimed restaurant was quite competitively priced though lacking a little in terms of ambience. Perhaps this was because there were not many diners and we felt as though we were a bit on show with so many staff left standing around. Breakfast was served in a different venue and this was a lovely, light, airy room. Unfortunately, mistakes were made on our breakfast order on both days. This wasn't a massive problem but again, jarred.

It is, as has been said, too far out to walk into the town and there is little else but the hotel in the immediate vicinity. Franschoek itself is charming with a real village feel and a mix of little 'one-off' shops alongside larger, more upmarket ones. There are other restaurants and hotels in the town too and, if we were to return, I would investigte these rather than the hotel in which we stayed on this visit

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Gardener01
Dundee, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2010

This is a very nice, laid-back hotel with perhaps a slightly misleading name. Perhaps I just didn't look at the website properly, or view the location, but I was expecting a big hotel down a quiet road somewhere. This is more a collection of (very nice) buildings, right on the main road into Franschhoek. The rooms are nice (bathrooms a bit dated), the restaurant good and the staff are great. You wouldn't really want to walk into the town from here although it is OK for cycling.

I can't quite put a finger on it, suspect its something to do with how spoiled we were in hotels in Cape Town, but something here just misses the mark a bit without anything I could really criticise about the hotel itself. It's certainly not the staff, who were lovely and would do anything to help.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank SW75
Bristol
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2010

This was a beautifully designed hotel with quality features which ensured relaxation and enjoyment for all. A quietly romantic style room with lovely ensuite and views into the garden from a terrace. Breakfast was amazing and kept us topped up through the day until dinner in the evening.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
uk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2010

A lovely hotel, great facilities and a wonderful atmosphere. Excellent food and service. One night is not long enough and I will be going back as soon as I can.

• Stayed March 2010