“Appalling!”

Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Franschhoek
Cape Town
“Appalling!”
Reviewed 6 December 2009

I had invited 4 guests to Sunday lunch 06 December 2009. Despite the pre-drinks mess up on the terrace we sat in the Mange Tout restaurant that I had booked in the previous week. We were then informed that there was no al la carte but only a "set-lunch" or choices from the "light lunch menu". We ordered 6 starters that just scraped in as 'reasonable but very small". Then only 5 main courses arrived as the "kitchen made a mistake" with the 6th, that arrived after about 10mins. My steak went back immediately as it was genuinely impossible to cut with my knife. After about 15mins my plate was returned and I asked the waitress what it was. She replied "beef" rather aggressively and stormed away. I asked the head waiter and he said that he chose to change my meal as "this cut is softer". No vegetables other than potato wedges for me or a sliver of spinach on my wifes plate, are available on the menu. We ordered desert but a guest was told that her choice was not available as she had been given the dinner menu. Can't they get anything right? was the opinion around our table. I paid the bill (no tip obviously) and brought to the head waiters attention our series of problems but he was just intent on arguing with me. My wife and I frequent Franschhoek regularly from Cape Town but next time will take my R2404.00 and spend it elsewhere! Never again.

• Stayed December 2009
    • Check-in / front desk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
London
Reviewed 23 November 2009

This wine estate was a very nice stop indeed. It is rather pricey compared to other places we stayed in South Africa but it was worth it. The views from the grounds are amazing and of course the wine is great! You can walk to their cellar door where there was a restauraunt to get some lunch and of course do some wine tasting whilst looking out at the view. The dinner in their hotel was also of an excellent standard, albeit a little pricey. The room was excellent as was breakfast. The location is easy to via car or road. The service was rather too formal compared to other areas of South Africa like Stellenbosch, Plettenberg Bay and Cape Town but still polite and friendly.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
Chatham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 October 2009

We stopped here for two nights, the food was excellent, our hotel room ( Merlot) was clean, peaceful and the views amazing. The hotel is set in the beautiful area of Franschhoek with plenty to see and do. The wine tasting at the Mont Rochelle was informative with a tour of the cellar if you wanted.
All the staff are extremelly helpful and friendly, a fantastic place to stop.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
Buckingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 September 2009

A very friendly welcome by Chantelle at Mont Rochelle. A well deserved welcome drink too. As we were travelling with the kids and had booked two rooms close by, when that wasn't the case, it was very quickly rectified and sorted within minutes. We had 2 very comfortable rooms with views of the Franschhoek Valley - super. Our first meal at Mont Rochelle was at the Country Kitchen - yum, followed by the tour of the celler. Swimming pool a little on the chilly side at this time of year as it's not heated so no swimming took place during our stay. Franschhoek town is very good for a stroll, some wonderful shops and restaurants. All in all Mont Rochelle is a super hotel, with staff to match. We had fun, wish we'd had longer. there.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 2 July 2009

We stayed here in June and it was absolutely wonderful. The staff are the nicest people and are willing to help you with anything you may need. The view from the room of the mountains in Franschhoek was unbelieveable! All you can see for miles is vineyard after vineyard...it's gorgeous. It's a nice quite place and is great for winding down. When we came back from dinner, we found our bed ready, bathrobes, slippers and bottles of water layed out for us for bed. It was fabulous! I loved it here.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
USA
Reviewed 4 March 2009

I had the opportunity to stay at the Mont Rochelle several weeks ago with my niece. By way of background, I have visited Franschhoek many times, know the area well and know the other 5 star properties. This was My first visit to the MR.

My disappointments:
We were treated very rudely by the front office staff upon checkin which remained consistent throughout our stay. (To the point I was shaking, I was so mad...).
We were subjected to a series of mistakes I would not expect from such a high end property.
Examples: we were woken at 4:00am due to a snafu with our wake up call and then had the same thing happen the following day.
Additionally, and worse of all, we were charged for winery tour services which we did not receive. The staff admitted it was their fault, but offered no refund. What is that all about???? Now I have to go through the schlep of contesting charges with AMEX.

My experience:
If you are coming to Franschhoek for a romantic get-away or to simply experience this beautiful valley with friends, I strongly discourage you from visiting this property. Our experience was BAD BAD BAD.

If you want a slice of Franschhoek charm with 5 star quality, I recommend La Petite Ferme or the Franschhoek Spa. Both are excellent.

The Mont Rochelle was a bust.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with family
5 Thank sanardo
Gauteng
Reviewed 13 February 2009

We had the oppertunity to stay at this property. What a GEM! Being from SA we were suprised to be treated as all international visitors are, from arrival to departure. My name was used from arriving at the front door. The views are spectacular, being from JHB, mountains have never looked so beautiful! Staff were inviting and helpful, making sure that our every need was covered. We were treated to a fantastic evening in the fine dining restaurant, being clean, professional and on the ball. We took the choice of having a picnic the very next day, sitting by the dam in peace taking in the tranquility of the farm. Management take the time to visit and talk to you, rarely seen at any place we have visited. This is definately our home away from home! They will be sure to see us again soon. Keep up the proudly South African name, with good food, outstanding service and personal touches. Well done!

• Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple