“A pricy tasting, über priced food, and expeditive service”
Review of Chamonix

Chamonix
Ranked #28 of 54 things to do in Franschhoek
Reviewed 31 December 2012

Just don't go there... The wines are ok... But overpriced for their quality ( subjective of course) ... We had a plate of cheese which was 95 rand for 4 measly slices ... This is insulting... Plus 20 rand for basket of hard dried bread... The charcuterie platter was ok though...
There are plenty of better wineries in the area ... Just avoid this rip off...

1  Thank David M
There are newer reviews for Chamonix

Reviewed 16 December 2012

Despite good recommendations and accolades, we were quite underwhelmed by our recent visit to Chamonix.

Wine tasting was R50 per person - on the upper end of the range of most places in Franschhoek, but not unreasonable. I was disappointed, however, to learn that the tasting fee isn't waived if you purchase wine. While most of the wines I thought were just OK, I did end up buying a R240 bottle of Pinot Noir but was a bit put off that I was charged the tasting fee on top of this.

Service was also just OK. The winery is on the hill and could have stunning views (I think there are nice views from the restaurant), but the tasting area actually faces back towards the parking lot.

As an aside, they advertise their spring water "renowned for it's pure clean taste" but the water they served us had an earthy (almost dirty) taste to it that wasn't to my liking at all.

2  Thank nomvula_za
Reviewed 4 November 2012

We had our first dinner in Franschoek at Mon Plaisir at Chamonix. Season was just beginning, so the restaurant was not very busy, which worked grandly for us. David, the owner, guided us through tasting dishes, superb wine choices, and the best bread (uh oh) ever! Then, he joined us for conversation and dessert. We had our wanderlust, our hunger, and our need to get to know the people of this wonderful country, all fulfilled in this quiet, homespun evening.

Reviewed 11 October 2012

I actually walked to Chamonix from Franschhoek town in the pouring rain but the wines made it worth it. Lovely open fire in the main area allowed me to dry out and warm up. Excellent wines - some definitely need to be purchased for for future consumption.

Reviewed 6 September 2012

This was our first stop on a day of wine tasting in Franschhoek, and it ended up being one of our favorite places on the trip. We were treated with a full assortment of their delicious wines, sitting comfortably by a warm fire. We are still dreaming about the 2009 Cab Sauv and are amazed at the crazy value of the Rouge. Oh how I wish it were easier to take wines back to the United States from South Africa. We hated to leave, but we wanted to explore more of the area. The wines were so memorable, however, that we have contacted to have some shipped to the US.