“Breathtakingly stunning setting, superb wines - awful service”
Review of Chamonix

Chamonix
Ranked #35 of 59 things to do in Franschhoek
London, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Breathtakingly stunning setting, superb wines - awful service”
Reviewed 2 May 2014

After drinking Chamonix wines for some time now I thought it would be a good idea to visit their estate. The drive up to the tasting rooms was stunnign and the facilities looked great too. Such a pity the service let them down terribly with a 'take it or leave it attitude' . Bought their Troika but only two bottles as they had limited stock @ R200 a bottle. The discovered I could buy as much of the same wine I wanted from Pick n Pay for £169! How does that work?

I will continue drinking their wine buit don't think I would bother staying on the estate after the tepid experience in their tatsting centre.

Visited April 2014

Johannesburg, South Africa
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Terrible attitude”
Reviewed 23 December 2013 via mobile

With the many choices available in Franschhoek for wine tasting the staff were very rude and told us they were closed because they had no clean wine glasses. Never again.

1 Thank gregk8288
Chicago, Illinois, Usa
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Excellent wine and great tasting rooms”
Reviewed 19 December 2013

At Chamonix, we bought one bottle of their Pinot Noir.

The sitting area was very comfortable.

The wine was also excellent.

At Chamonix, I forgot to turn off my car lights and my car battery was dead by the time that I got back to my car. Chamonix was kind enough to call for a person to jump our car. This was done at no charge.

Visited October 2013
London, United Kingdom
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“Good wines, need to work on tasting experience”
Reviewed 27 October 2013

The tasting room itself is a little dark. The staff are a little 'hit and miss'. The tasting itself is at the high end of the price range for the area at R50 (and you don't get this refunded on a purchase!).

We managed to convince the staff (not an easy task!!) to allow us to bring our wine tasting out to the restaurant deck so that we could enjoy a few nibbles while we tasted the wine.

The restaurant beside the wine tasting room, which is newly opened, is called Racine (it's a sister restaurant of Reuben's down on Huguenot Street), I would highly recommend to the Chamonix management that they integrate the wine tasting with the restaurant better. It would make for a much better experience.

The restaurant itself is really nice. The food is great quality and the service was excellent.

Visited October 2013
Norfolk
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 57 helpful votes
“The worst tasting I have ever had”
Reviewed 16 February 2013

After a long wait in a dismal cramped courtyard (Black streaks on the wall) we were given a tasting that seemed to have been recited from a script. Questions unanswered. And nearly twice as much as other tastings just to add insult to injury.

Visited February 2013