“Awful service” 2 of 5 bubbles

Book In Advance
More Info
US$81.19*
and up
Private Tour: Stellenbosch, Franschhoek and Paarl Wine-Tasting Tour from Cape...
Ranked #19 of 57 things to do in Franschhoek
Redding, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Awful service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2013

Took a tour of the wine farms in the Franschhoek area, and Dieu Donne was one chosen because of the spectacular setting and views. These didn't disappoint us, but the service was so awful that even though we had decided that we wanted to have lunch here, we left without eating.
I suppose the wines could have been good, but the sour look on the servers face, the tiniest drop of wine in the bottom of the glass really just left a bad taste in our mouths. We thought it such a shame that such a beautiful place could be so successfully spoiled by bad service.
I would like to give it another try, but sincerely hope that the management does something about the extremely poor service.

Visited December 2013

Silkeborg
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Really a God given view but the restaurant mediocre”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2013

We visited Dieu Donné in 2009 and again in 2011 and both times we were overwhelmed by the beauty of the place. Also the restaurant was exquisite, so we were looking so much forward to going back in November 2013. We were very disappointed. The Restaurant Roca has been transformed into a very average restaurant. I ordered springbok cappacio which I had had a few times before during our 3 week long tour in South Africa. At Roca I got 1 thick slice of springbok, not very much like the thin sliced capaccio that I had previously been presented to. This was typical for the whole meal. I wonder if there has been a change of chef at the restaurant. They ought to do better since the location is the very best in South Africa.

Visited November 2013
1 Thank SOSSilkeborg
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Great views, poor service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2013 via mobile

Visited to taste wines. The views are stunning and the place is really nice. Sadly the service let them down.
There were no other visitors there, so just the 2 of us to deal with. We asked for the tasting, selected what we wanted and that was all. The woman was far more preoccupied with Facebook than with us. She did not tell us anything at all about the wines or anything else. She simply served the wine. We realised halfway through that cheese was available, so we ordered a platter, which was delicious. I would have expected her to tell us about that sort of thing, make us feel welcome and try to sell their produce. Not at all. She was cold and acted as though we were an inconvenience. We bought a little, but could have bought a lot if she'd made an effort and come off Facebook for a while.

Visited November 2013
1 Thank Testing12345678
Midsomer Norton, United Kingdom
299 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 479 helpful votes
“Enjoy the view, enjoy the sparkling wine, enjoy living”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2013

We went to this wine estate two years ago and had a lovely bottle of sparkling wine -you cannot call it champagne of course - but you get my meaning. They also serve a platter of cheese more than enough for two people for R75. Nothing has changed thank goodness.

So we ordered the famous MCC sparkling wine - Rose - 2011 - with the aforesaid cheese platter. A coach party had arrived just at the same time as us so I knew from experience to hurry up and get my order in. We were moved to the outside part of the restaurant, which I recommend for the view, and for no extra charge we have the sight of a fire burning in the valley just opposite.

I noticed another reviewer says 'the wines were okay but nothing special'. With due respect I do have to ask who knows most about wine, the reviewer or the establishment. This is a fiercely competitive area wine and people are fiercely proud of their reputation.

We paid R95 for the sparkling wine which translates to about £7.50 UK and that with the cheese put us in a right good mood. You could make an afternoon of it without spending an arm and a leg.

I thought of ordering lunch but I noticed that too many people were waiting, even at 12.30, so I decided to give that a miss. To sum up if you want to drink this is a much better place than a restaurant in Frachshoek (I think that's the way you spell it) but if you want a meal then one of the wayside restaurants in the town probably gives better value.

So if you want to chill out and escape from reality for a bit, what better place to go?

Visited October 2013
Cape Town Central, South Africa
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Wine with a view!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2013

We went up to the Dieu Donne wine estate for some wine tasting and were presented with a great view over Franschhoek and the surrounding mountains.
The wines were great, especially the MCC sparkling wine.
There is an adjoining restaurant where you could enjoy a meal, which we didn't do.

Visited June 2013