“The best to stay in Franschhoek!!!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Akademie Street Boutique Hotel and Guest House

Akademie Street Boutique Hotel and Guest House
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Franschhoek
Philadelphia PA
“The best to stay in Franschhoek!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2008

We spent only one night at Akademie Guesthouse and wished we could stay longer. Our accommodation was at the Vreugde and was wonderful. Very private, beautifully furnished, with all the conveniences. There was a private swimming pool in front of our veranda just for our enjoyment. The breakfast was excellent, as well, as the service. We would recommend this place to anybody who is visiting Franschhoek.
Shelly & Ed
Philadelphia, USA.

• Liked — privacy
  • Disliked — none
      Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
Kingswinford West Midlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2008

We stayed in Vreugde for four nights at the end of October and loved it.It was perfect for hot sunny days with a shady garden and fans on the verandah. We were surprised and delighted to find free mini bar, snacks and fruit provided each day.
Arthur and Katherine are perfect hosts and their attention to detail is outstanding.
We can wholeheartedly recommend “Akademie Street”.You will not be disappointed.

• Liked — Privacy in private garden.
  • Disliked — Room a little small.
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2008

Spent two nights at the Akademie Guest House for our honeymoon. I think I would have happily cancelled the rest of the trip and just remained there! We spent one night in a small cottage which was very charming and had everything we needed, the next night we stayed in the larger house which was amazing with wonderful views of the mountains. The gardens are beautiful. The breakfast and setting are divine. The acccommodation is tasteful and luxurious. The hosts Katherine and Arthur are wonderful and have thought of every single detail and you are just a stroll away from the hightstreet with all its restaurants. I can't wait to go back.

• Liked — everything
  • Disliked — nothing
Cheshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2008

We have just returned from our first visit to SA on a trip organised by our friends, who were with us. It culminated in a four night stay in Akademie Street and what a place!
We could not have receiveda warmer welcome from our hosts and their staff. They have thought of everything and it's so homely. The breakfasts were fantastic! Keep us going all day! We had two of the houses and had such a lovely, relaxing time in the stunning grounds.
We will certainly return. Thank you so much!
John and Fran Gathercole.
Cheshire
England

• Liked — Our hosts
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled with friends
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2008

It's interesting re-reading the reviews here. I've just returned from a stay at Akademie, and whilst it is no doubt beautiful, I didn't quite get the same sort of good feeling from the hosts that people describe.

Firstly, the good. We stayed in Uitsig, which was utterly gorgeous - the photos on the website don't do it justice. Great decor, all the amenities you could need, and some great touches such as the complimentary mini bar and snacks (we never got chocolates on our pillow though as mentioned by others on here, booo!), free laundry and wi-fi. There was also a folder full of local information and maps. The breakfast was amazing, even though sadly I could never make it past the muesli and fruit stage.

Now for the not so good. Upon arriving we were asked what time we would like breakfast. I asked what time it was served, but rather than being given a timespan, we were asked to name a time. I asked what time it ended, and was told 9.45, so I chose 9.30 which earned me the response "oh, you're late risers". Errr, yes, I'm on holiday... Then when I stated we might not always have breakfast, I was told "can you inform us the night before if you don't want breakfast, as we put a lot of preparation into it". I thought this was rather off. I don't know the night before whether or not I want breakfast. I'm on holiday, and I want to be able to wake up at my leisure and decide. And quite frankly, I've paid for it, so whether I eat it or not is irrelevant. We missed breakfast one morning because we overslept, and after that my girlfriend was too scared (I know this sounds faintly ridiculous) to go again, in case we got told off. lol.

More seriously, one evening my girlfriend witnessed a few youths, one of whom had a large stick, roaming around the private gardens. They ran off when the dog started barking. We immediately called the hosts to warn them, but there was no answer. Despite calling a couple of times and leaving a message, we didn't hear back from them.

So, all in all, I thought Akademie was a beautiful place to stay, but we felt a certain froideur towards us. Perhaps breakfast-dodging lesbians aren't their cup of rooibos. I wouldn't stay here again, but I would recommend it to others.

• Stayed October 2008
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank SJ13London
AkaFhk, Owner at Akademie Street Boutique Hotel and Guest House, responded to this review, 3 November 2008
We are sorry that these guests felt in anyway unwelcome or unsafe. It was surely not our intention. We try to make Akademie Street Guesthouses a haven and a retreat for all our guests.

The remark about us feeling a certain froideur towards people because they are lesbians is ridiculous - in fact we are speechless!

We have always regarded people as individuals. We do not classify them into groups.
Sutton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2008

After reading the reviews, I had high expectations and they were more than met! My boyfriend and I stayed here for two nights and absolutely loved it. We felt so pampered and looked after.
We stayed in Uitsig, a MASSIVE and beautiful room above the main house with a beautiful view of the mountains. So stylish, spacious and comfortable. So many small touches - from the pre-programmed mobile phone with restaurant and activity telephone numbers ready to use, to the candles in the bathroom, the comprehensive restaurant list, the free laundry service, the inclusive sparkling wine chilled in the fridge. A special mention has to be made of the bed - wider than it was long, and it was plenty long - so comfy, with every combination of bedding you could wish for (duvet, blanket, sheet, soft pillows, hard pillows...). iPod speakers by the bedside. Divine chocolates on the pillow at bedtime. Loved the bathroom taps that made the water flow like a waterfall. Breakfast was amazing too - a huge variety of fresh and interesting fruits, yoghurt, muesli, eggs cooked to order. With Katherine and Arthur around to give us tips for the day's activities - we went on a walk around the outskirts of Franschhoek one day, and a hike up the mountain the next (don't forget to get a permit for the national park at the tourist office).
Our stay at Akademie meant we were spoilt for the other places that we stayed at on our trip and nothing could compare to the level of attention to detail and comfort. The best B&B I've ever stayed in! We really didn't want to leave!

• Liked — Attention to detail
  • Disliked — Having to leave
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
Coulsdon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2008

We spent 5 magical nights this October in Vreugde , one of the smaller cottages. It is close to perfection .The garden is perfection.
Franschhoek has to be one of the most beautiful towns in South Africa with an incredible array of top class restaurants and Vineyards and thanks to Arthur and Katherine's knowledge you get first rate advice on how to make the most of these resources.
A special mention must go to Katherine's muesilli (nothing like the commercial stuff) and a big hello to Lulu (one of the cats )

• Liked — The incedible garden
  • Disliked — Nothing