“You must stay here”

Le Manoir de Brendel Estate
Ranked #30 of 64 Franschhoek B&B and Inns
Reviewed 31 January 2014

We stayed here for 3 nights and from the moment we arrived we felt so welcome and at home
Our rooms were amazing spotlessly clean, spacious and with everything we needed for the perfect stay....even a surprise complimentary bottle of wine.
Karin and Anna were so helpful nothing was too much trouble for them....
Booking restaurants, transfers, cooking breakfast to order...... Not to mention the late night snacks.......
The location was perfect and the grounds beautiful.
All in all the most perfect stay we will go back there
Anne and John Chester

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank AnneKChester

Reviewed 23 January 2014

We stayed for two nights and wished it had been longer.
The service was amazing and the breakfasts outside were magical.
The pool was very relaxing and the pool side service for tea and or wine was faultless.
We will be back and would recommend it to many. We left with a boot full of aged wines from the estate which we are still working our way through!!!!!

Room Tip: Try to get a pool room so that you can access the pool without too much walking ....
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Lemanoirdebrendel, Manager at Le Manoir de Brendel Estate, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2014

Many thanks for your radiant compliments and hope you have not finished those wines yet! You might have to come back for some more...... The best red wines in the world we have here! Please come back or refer some more beautiful guests. Warm regards, Karin

Reviewed 9 January 2014

My daughter and I recently stayed at this charming estate .we were thrilled to be upgraded to a larger room and provided with a lovely bottle of wine . The breakfast overlooking the grounds was really the best with hot or cold selections .Megan and Anna were so attentive and made us feel at home Reclining at the pool after a hot day tasting wines ,Anna immediately came around with more towels and iced water. Karin was so very helpful with booking activities and restaurants and her uplifting personality was infectious . This was a stay that I would do over and over again. Thank-you for the memories ,Hannah and Susan

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family

Many thanks for your 'charming' review and for staying with us. Yes room 6 is truly a lovely room and we are working on upgrading all of our rooms this year. Hope you will return; you will be pleased to hear we are working on the overgrown section of the walk-way :-)

Reviewed 5 January 2014 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here for 2 nights on our honeymoon. Put simply, it was just perfect.
The staff were friendly, professional and attentive.
The breakfast was the best of all breakfasts from the past two weeks in SA.
The pool area was amazing!
The facilities themselves are located just out of town amidst wine groves in the most picturesque location.

All in all a little haven. I'd have loved to have stayed longer.

I'd thoroughly recommend to friends and family alike.

Many thanks,

Marcus and Laura.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Marcus & Laura. I clearly remember our 'just married couple' in room 10. So glad that your "booking gone wrong" had led you to us. It was lovely having you here and we all enjoyed your wonderful conversations and company. Until next time! Best wishes, Karin

Reviewed 3 January 2014 via mobile

This was our second choice as the original guest house booked was flooded so we got this at short notice. We were slightly disappointed and had a feeling that maybe the owners were away..rooms were spacious and clean, bathrooms good, pool was a bit grubby, breakfast was....so so (cockroach baked into a roll). Checking out was just a catalogue of crashed computers, misunderstandings and forensic checking our bill had been previously settled (it had). All in all an average experience tbh.

Stayed: December 2013
Reviewed 31 December 2013

We stayed 3 nights from 24-27 December and were disappointed. We turned up in the middle of summer and 30+ temps to find the pool out of order (no one had told us) and it wasn't fixed by the time we left 3 days later. There seemed little urgency to get things sorted until a 'full house' on the 27th. Other guests seemed to have been told because the guesthouse was empty over the time we were there. We were provided the option to use the facilities at a guesthouse down the road which we did once - and that was nice.

We had requested to see the manager about this and after 3 days she still hadn't appeared. The property was being run by 2 (lovely) interns over this period (Megan and Anna). But we talked on the phone and she was apologetic and offered us a discount for our troubles - which in the circumstances was completely appropriate. The manager said she was in need of a holiday (completely understandable) but this was the holiday we had also planned, and were paying good money for.

I get the feeling (and feedback on this website backs it up) that this would be a great place usually and perhaps we were just a little unlucky. The luxury rooms were otherwise wonderful, everything was clean and spotless, we were treated to a free bottle of locally produced wine on arrival. The breakfasts were nice, and the service was friendly and attentive from those on the property. The pool area looks wonderful (when operational), the location near Franschhoek is good, and the mountain views are also lovely.

So my advice would be this is probably a lovely place to stay but maybe avoid Xmas!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Lemanoirdebrendel, Manager at Le Manoir de Brendel Estate, responded to this reviewResponded 3 January 2014

Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and thank you for mostly lovely compliments for our establishment.
I would like to apologize and explain again on behalf of the guest farm maintenance team and Le Manoir de Brendel as I did in our telephone conversation about a totally unforeseen incident at the worst time of the year, solid holidays for contractors, that left us all shame faced.

We only had your room reservation for that period but not because of the pool – we simply did not have more than your inquiry for a stay over Christmas. We did not take any bookings up until the 23rd because our pool was only going to be fully "functional" on the day of your arrival, the 24th? On completing the painting of the pool the day before we had to refill it, the pool contractor instructed our maintenance manager to not use our pool Krauly for an entire week?

Needless to say that the managers on duty were caught off-guard when they woke up to a green pool on 25 December.
They contacted our farm maintenance manager and on his turn he could not get hold of the pool contractor on Christmas day or the next day which is quite understandable, it being 2 holidays with all businesses closed – it was out of his hands too. Megan and Anna, our managers on duty at the time, tried their best by adding chemicals required to the pool. Nothing more could be done as the pool was blue again on the second afternoon with very high doses of chlorine. The leaves however remained stuck with the Krauly not allowed to be used.

I was notified about the above late afternoon on the 26th of December. Managers on duty asked me if I could offer any consolation other than a bottle of MCC and chocolates. It was therefore that I offered a discount on a free upgraded room worth R2 600 a day to R1 500 per day. I arranged the surprise free upgrade before your arrival as I knew it was going to be more than a special occasion for you! Apologies fro the damper once again.

On the morning of your checking out, 27 December, we spoke on the phone as I was making my way back to the guesthouse and please allow me to correct the: "The manager said she was in need of a holiday" - I did however say: “I spent Christmas with my family in many years”and that I was also a long way from the guesthouse", when you asked about my absence when only I received the news late afternoon of 26 December. We do not take holidays in high season. We had ample able staff on duty, which as hard as they tried to make up, just could not make a difference to the pool at the time, nor could our maintenance manager, present or not.
We offer you a special discount once again on returning one day and pray for gremlins to stay away. Our pool is now looking spectacular!
Kind regards, Karin

Reviewed 31 December 2013

We made a last minute booking and found this place to have one room left on Hotels.com, the welcoming was confusing and disoriented but the owner sorted our a dinner plan with pick up for us which was nice and that's about it. The room sticky hot with a poor aircon that made so much noise we would be better off sleeping by the highway so to noisy but still to hot to be Ble to get any sleep. If you are in room 4 this is what you get for 2350 rand - extremely bad value.
The "pool" is more a small very warm round dock pound filled with leaves and dirt, there are only 7 cushions to the chairs so you sit or lye on metal, we managed to get a pool towel eventually but then none of us felt like going into the messy hot tube like roundel. Breakfast was ok but checking our was nasty - we had a prepayment receipt from hotels.com but the owner insisted we should pay her as well. After a long sitting in her office she leans over to me with a paper in her hand and stare me in the eye and say Hotel MUST collect the money from the guest DO YOU UNDERSTAND. I have rarely been talked to in that manner, it was vey insulting especially since at her paper it stted that the room was prepeid and the remaining amount was zar 0,00.
I would not recommend anyone to stay here just in case the owner gets displeased about something and h ave a go at you. It's simply is not worth it.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Valued Guests, and all our guests are truly valued, especially when your experience was veiled.
We will definitely look into the air conditioner not cooling this particular room to satisfaction, as well as finding the space to add more pool loungers - as well as the one lounger cushion that had torn the day before and could not be used. We were not aware of the room temperature being a problem until I read your review and I must add that our air conditioners are choking in the 40 degrees temperatures prevailing.

Your disgust at the pool we do however feel is somewhat unwarranted as our gardeners attend to the pool first thing every single morning. With the wind that had been so persistent over those days, one of our lady interns even volunteered in the intense heat to scoop leaves after hours from the swimming pool as it was an on-going process. We are proud of our establishment and grounds and like to keep it that way. Apologies if those nasty leaves were sitting there the moment you arrived.

Re payment and what followed: As manager I am very surprised that you went ahead and wrote such a destructive review accusing us/management or rather the owner of being rude and double billing you? I sent you the following apologetic email half an hour after you had left when I had finally gotten hold of Hotels.com on the phone:
Sat 2013/12/28 11:58 AM
Quote: Apologies on behalf of Hotels.com/Expedia for the confusing statement sent to you. I phoned Expedia help desk and they instructed me that we/hotel still had to collect the payment from you. They only invoice us for their commission after the guest had departed. I will find out on Monday, office hours, why they send guests a zero balance invoice………

Enjoy the rest of your vacation.

Kind regards,
Karin

Unquote: Explanation for hotels.com zero outstanding voucher: Seeing that you made the booking 10 minutes prior to arrival, you received a pre-paid voucher from hotels.com/Expedia but at the same time we are instructed to take payment directly from the guest. You arrived before the reservation was even emailed to us. In the case of same day booking we take payment with the guest presenting his/her card.
Upon your utter confusion of having “paid” already I eventually printed the instructions from hotels.com which I presented to you and asked: if you then “understood” that we take payments from our side and hotels.com assumes that we had already taken payment by the time you checked in . You still did not understand the procedure of us having to take the payment “again”, because your bill said zero!

Seeing that you were upset I tried to reassure you by not swiping your card and said that I will phone you and let you know the outcome after I had spoken to Hotels.com. I felt it would have been really rude to take the payment without you having 100% reassurance that we were not double charging you. I left a message on your phone and sent you an email shortly thereafter, explaining that we did however have to take payment and that your zero invoice was in fact not zero yet.

I did not have to get upset or angry or rude as we had your credit card details to do the transaction, when we had clarity even, after your departure. If anything, I assured you over and over that I could absolutely understand your confusion with no avail. You left still as upset as when I asked to settle the bill earlier. Apologies if you interpreted my explanation as being angry or upset, because that is all I can ascribe such a harsh review to, “your interpretation”.
On behalf of the owners that have been on vacation and were not here at the time of your stay, we assure you that we/they have always treated our guests with respect, no matter whether their frustration is justified or not, and we intend to keep up our very friendly home away from home atmosphere.
Regards and hope we can always make a difference, Karin.