“Wonderful hotel in Franschhoek”

Le Franschhoek Hotel & Spa
Ranked #9 of 11 Hotels in Franschhoek
Reviewed 14 August 2011

We stayed here for 3 nights in August during our 2 week trip throughout South Africa. No detail at this hotel was over looked - they knew we were arriving late so they had set up a table in their lounge area for us to have a late dinner (great food by the way), all transportation to and from Cape Town as well as to all lunches and dinners was arranged as we did not have a car, and they assisted us in making wine tour plans with Winelands Experience (be sure to ask for Roger). Everyone at the reception desk was helpful and very friendly, and we cannot thank Tembile enough for helping with all of our trip plans. The hotel itself was beautiful and clean, and our room was very spacious overlooking the vineyard and mountain with a spacious balcony. We also really appreciated the heated bathroom floors! It was very convenient to have breakfast every morning at the hotel, and they had a great buffet available. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Franschhoek! We also used the spa one morning and had a wonderful experience there too!

Room Tip: The Vineyard Suite was wonderful!
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
LeFranschhoek, General Manager at Le Franschhoek Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2011

I am so glad that you enjoyed your Le Franschhoek experience.
Please be sure to stay in touch and visit us in future.

Best regards
Eben

Reviewed 9 August 2011

This hotel is beautifully appointed. Everything is clean and one cannot fault anything about the physical aspects of the hotel. We had wonderful breakfasts and room service on the one evening. The food was good. However the front line staff were very aloof and not at all friendly. It appeared to us that it was even difficult for them to smile. I guess to sum it up - there was no warmth. I had wanted to stay at this hotel for many years. In fact I had wanted to come here on our honeymoon 35 years ago. During our recent visit to South Africa I was really excited about coming to stay here. The question is - would I come again - maybe not. Most of the other places that we visited the staff were so warm and friendly and helpful - that even when the accommodation was not as grand, it made up for this, because of their warmth. However if you are wanting to come to Franschhoek this would not be a bad spot to stop - but I would not make a special point of coming here to stay.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends

I am glad that you thought our hotel beautiful and enjoyed our food. I am sincerely sorry that you experienced our frontline staff in the manner you did. I assure you that it is not the norm as normally our staff is described as very warm and friendly.
If you find yourself in South Africa again, please make contact with us and pay us a visit. I assure you that then you will experience true South African hospitality.
Best Regards and happy travelling.

Reviewed 6 August 2011

This is an absolute gem of a hotel. Set five minutes drive from town, the hotel is a lille oasis. It's cool, grate decor and fab staff and with great food and wine. I can't redommend this place enough, can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
LeFranschhoek, General Manager at Le Franschhoek Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2011

I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and our hotel.
Hopefully we will be lucky enough to welcome you back in future.

Best Le Franschhoek Regards

Reviewed 3 July 2011

We so enjoyed our stay at Le Franschhoek. The staff were very friendly and attentive, the rooms were simply and stylishly decorated and the view was stunning. We loved the underfloorheating, the chocolates on the pillows, letter of welcome, Eggs Florentine for breakfast, etc. Would like to have had another mirror in our room - only 1 in the bathroom. Otherwise it was a wonderful stay!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank DKiggan
LeFranschhoek, General Manager at Le Franschhoek Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2011

I am so glad that you enjoyed the Le Franschhoek experience.
Thank you for the feedback on the mirror. We will defintely look into it.
I hope that we will see you soon again.

Happy travels
Eben

Reviewed 20 June 2011

This hotel is not deserving of its 5 stars. The absolutely stunning setting in the Franschhoek valley cannot make up for the lack of professionalism at all levels as well as the serious maintenance that is required in the rooms.

Internet access was not available throughout my stay, something I had to find out rather than be informed of at check-in. I was double and triple billed for the same food items on two occasions and basic instructions ito requirements were not followed after check-in.

Within the room: 1) bathroom shower handle came off in my hand, both sinks were leaking onto the floor, under-basin stand was stained and cracked from moisture damage, the grouting in the shower was mouldy. 2) it rained onto the bed the morning of a downpour and the under floor heating did not work in the room. 3) Multiple silverfish roaming the room, meaning it needed to be fumigated and the room was not vacuumed and the coffee station not replenished during the second day of my stay.

Choose one of the other stunning options in Franschhoek!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank Aesop007

Thank you for your feedback in relation to your stay.
It is only with constant feedback from our guests that we can better our offering and service.
For your playing a part in us achieving this, I am thankful.
I hope that someday we can welcome you back to our hotel.

Best regards

Reviewed 23 April 2011

What was meant to be a special couple of days away with my husband for his surprise birthday treat, turned out to be a total shambles and disappointment. Upon booking one of the Deluxe rooms, I had stressed that it was my husband's birthday and that I wanted everything to be perfect. I had requested and pre-arranged with Liezl that on our arrival on the 20th we have:
- a welcome bottle of bubbly and/or bowl of fruit in the room on our arrival
- a small birthday cake after supper on the day of our arrival (as we were dining at the hotel)

Upon arrival, we were informed that the formal dining area was being renovated and therefore supper would be served in the picnic area. No mention of renovations was made when I was doing the booking.

As for welcome bottle of bubbly and / or bowl of fruit .... there was nothing - a bare empty room with the basics and a rather tiny bathroom with a dirty floor greeted us - our welcome to a "Deluxe" room. The small birthday cake I had requested after supper also didn't materialise! Instead I received a bumbled apology and that they would make sure that there would be a birthday cake in our room or on the terrace (our choice) after our spa treatments the next day. Dinner was served in a conservatory area, that was filled with smoke from the fire place. We left smelling like we'd been visiting a zulu kraal after dinner and were greeting by cheap, lumpy pillows back in our room.

It seems as if communication is not a prerequisite for staff at Le Franschhoek, as my husband received a 'rushed' SLICE of cake after breakfast the next day, on the 21st, as we were about to leave the breakfast area to head off for our spa treatments. The bubbly and orange juice, was presented as a bottle of bubbly with no orange juice - I had to ask for a jug of orange juice.

The bottle of bubbly / bowl of fresh fruit in the room never materialised at any time during our 2 night stay.

Unsurprisingly our spa treatment was interrupted midway by what sounded like the sanding of a floor. The rest of the day was punctuated with hammering and drilling. ie: it sounded like we were plonked in the middle of a contruction site and not an upmarket 5 star hotel. My numerous complaints, including to the general manager, seemed to be ignored as the noise stopped for all of 5 minutes and then merely resumed. The reception staff and general manager's attitude was not what I would have expected either - their curt and somewhat arrogant responses indicated I was clearly being a somewhat annoying guest.

Our order from the mini bar, which wasn't stocked at all on our arrival, was a complete disaster with incorrect items being brought, out of stock items and no glasses. The 'order card' which in fact turned out to be a 'restocking' card(?) that was 'meant' to be in the fridge was missing. Our order was eventually corrected after numerous tiresome staff trips to our room and an apology - the bottle of wine we ordered would 'be on the house' due to the inconvenience caused.

The following morning, we were woken up by the sound of children shrieking, slamming doors and running up & down the corridor outside our room ... oh ... and some more hammering. We discovered that the towels we had used the previous day and hung up to dry had been folded wet for re-use and were therefore still wet. On presentation of the account when we checked out, I found that the 'complimentary' bottle of wine had been billed to our room and so had the other drinks we had ordered but not opened. The unopened drinks remained in the unstocked bar fridge. Perhaps the next lot of guests in that room would care to enjoy them with our complements! :-) Hopefully with any luck the bathroom floor would have been cleaned, as it remained dirty the 2 nights we were there.

Will we be returning for another visit any time? Highly unlikely, although I have just received an apologetic telephone call from the GM with a conciliatory offer, as a result of my feedback on their rate card. His offer shall be considered. Perhaps if there is a next time, we should opt for one of the villas - away from any construction going on at the hotel, away from resident noisy children and perhaps better quality pillows and a bathroom that's clean and marginally bigger than a postage stamp! As for the service ...

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank RoadTrippinCape
Reviewed 20 March 2011

Beautiful hotel, a town with stunning food ! well worth the visit.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
LeFranschhoek, General Manager at Le Franschhoek Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2011

Glad you enjoy your time. Franschhoek is truly a treasure.