“They can if they want to!”

Le Franschhoek Hotel & Spa
Ranked #9 of 11 Hotels in Franschhoek
Reviewed 28 July 2012

My wife and I stayed for 3 nights, 26 - 28 July 2012 at a discounted rate. Was not that impressed when we entered the room and first nights stay was iffy, with room not so clean, bed not so comfortable, slanting. After discussing our issues with Gershon thinking he was the Hotel manager judging from his helpfullness, informing us of where to do wine tasting (La Courrone - Excellent with Hugenot chocloate, thanks Tina! and lunch at Le Petite Ferme that includes a wine tour with John who "romances the vine"), we arrived back at our room to be surpised by a very clean room with extra care taken to impress, thank you Francois!
The Camelot spa is a must to relieve stress!

Value for money at discounted rate.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 14 July 2012

We were the only guest when we check in. After a few days in south Africa in small, well run hotels we did feel lost. We were well looked after but would I recommend it as an upscale place ...no. The breakfast was not 5 star level from a quality point of view. Good for groups but not if you like to travel as FIt!s. I have to say though that the chef was super and accommodating and made us a good meal. The town is amazing and if you want to enjoy it stay in a smaller hotel ..there are some of high standard. Let me say it was our fault to choose the hotel for what we want in our holiday that e hotel itself. It is good for groups, commences, weddings and company offsite.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 July 2012

I thought I would treat myself to a relaxing start to my vacation by booking myself into Le Franschoek Hotel & Spa for the first weekend of my two week break.

Everything was fine upon arrival: friendly and efficient check-inn; wonderful location; spacious rooms (I booked two balcony suites). I had a dinner reservation at one of the restaurants in town and returned to the hotel at around 21h00 - imagine my surprise when I walked into a very loud party in the bar area!

As luck would have it, my spacious balcony suites" were directly above the bar area, with a stairway at my door acting as the perfect funnel for all the noise from downstairs. I phoned reception just after 22h00, to be told that the bar usually closes at 2am (!), but they would ask the crowd to tone it down. About half an hour after I called the noise did subside to the point where my ear plugs blocked most of the sounds. Exactly when they stopped "celebrating" I do not know. Fortunately I always travel with ear plugs, but I honestly did not expect to have to use them at Le Franschoek.

Somewhere in a board room the management of Le Franschoek has to decide where they want to pitch the hotel. You either cater for loud, drunken birthday parties that require a bar that stays open to 2am, or you sell yourself as a romantic, tranquil getaway with spa facilities. You simply cannot be both pub and spa at the same time.

My Saturday night experience was not pleasant at all, but at least the Sunday was better. The spa is good and all the staff that I dealt with (hotel as well as spa) were helpful and professional. And there were no parties on Sunday evening.

Room Tip: Room 11 is directly above the stairs leading from the ground floor bar: avoid at all cost if the bar...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 June 2012

My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights as a part of our honeymoon and it was nice but didn’t live up to our expectations.

Rooms
The rooms were nice but were not overly big and this was the same for the bathroom. The shower was really nice but the taps on the sink were annoying because when you turn them on the water splashes all over the vanity area! All the furnishings just looked a little worn, especially the bathroom door. The balcony was lovely though as it was a good size and had a beautiful view over the valley. As there was hardly any light pollution we sat out there in the evening and looked at the stars which were beautiful and we even saw shooting stars.

Hotel
The hotel is in lovely grounds and is nicely decorated. The entrance is also gated so we felt very secure.

Staff
On arrival we were greeted with fresh apple juice and the staff were very friendly and helpful. As it was our honeymoon they did put rose petals on the bed, provided us with a bottle of champagne and a cake which was nice.

Restaurant and Bar
The bar area is gorgeous and the big open fire is lovely. The bar staff are really nice as well. The breakfast was good as well as it had a good variety and the room it was served in was nice. We did eat in the restaurant on the first night as we were quite tired but it wasn’t very good. We were the only guests in the restaurant but the service was still slow. The food was ok but not 5 star. The second night we went out and ate at ‘The Grillhouse’ in the town and it was amazing! The steak there was superb and had a great variety of marinades and sauces.

Location
Franschoek is a lovely place to stay. This hotel was slightly too out of the way, we didn’t mind too much as we had a car but would have been nice if it was a bit closer to town. We spent a day going around the different vineyards and it was lovely to sit tasting wine with beautiful views. The best vineyards were ‘Mont Rochelle’, ‘Deidre Donne’ and ‘Vrede en Lust’. All 3 are a definite must to visit!

Overall, this hotel could be a 5 star but it needs to be refurbished and the food and service needs to be improved. Franschoek is a lovely area to visit but if we were to visit again we would stay in another hotel as this was a bit of a disappointment.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 June 2012

My entire experience @ Le Franschhoek was delightful, from helping me to organize a surprise for my lady to helping me through a stomach bug in the middle of the night. The food was great, the room was great; romantically turned down for the entire duration of our stay. The service was totally impeccable. The hotel made our holiday a wonderful experience. Thank you

Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lindile X
Reviewed 27 May 2012

The rooms still good but food was terrible. Dry overcooked Chicken, very poor. Lovely grey diningroon chairs badly stained Tried to order room service, an hour later they said too busy and could not do room service.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank 34Kat
LeFranschhoek, General Manager at Le Franschhoek Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2012

Dear 34Kat,

Thank you for posting your feedback. It is only with constant feedback that we are able to better our offering and service to our guests. I am pleased that you like our rooms and so sorry that your meal did not meet your expectation. I am immediately arranging for the chairs to be professionaly cleaned. I would like to assure you that we will address all the issues mentioned and use it in our training sessions to ensure that there is no reoccurrence thereof.
I hope that we will be in a position to welcome you back to Le Franschhoek and Spa in future to an enhanced experience.

Happy travels
Eben Lassen

Reviewed 26 May 2012

I have stayed at this hotel every May for the past 4 years. This year however I have to say that I feel the always high standard seems to be slipping a bit. Internet is not free. The safe in my room doesn`t even have a lock on. The slippers have been used and are not even matching. The heating in my bathroom doesn`t work and it is cold.
But!!! the staff, food, tea and cake selection is good as ever. I still love this hotel and will probably stay here again. Hopefully I just got a bad room this year

Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank WLRoos

Dear WL Roos,
I would personally like to thank you for providing us with feedback.
I have instructed our housekeeper and maintenance manager to ensure that all the issues you mention are addressed immediately. I am also happy to report that soon we will be providing complimentary wireless. I am glad that you still love the hotel and our staff! We would love to welcome you back in future and have made a note on your profile to ensure that on your next visit we take special care with you room allocation.

Happy travels