“Nice location, beautiful grounds, but certainly not 5 star.”

Le Franschhoek Hotel & Spa
Ranked #9 of 11 Hotels in Franschhoek
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
“Nice location, beautiful grounds, but certainly not 5 star.”
Reviewed 10 September 2012

Nice location in winelands. Grounds were beautiful. Service was just OK. Many of the staff seemed inexperienced. Room was three star at best. Furniture looked "cheap" and carpet in the room was badly stained. Bathroom was tiny. Food in the restaurant was good, but not exceptional. Would certainly would not stay there again.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
LeFranschhoek, General Manager at Le Franschhoek Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 6 October 2012
Dear foodlover7752787,

Thank you for posting your review.
I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations. At Le Franschhoek Hotel and Spa we believe in a continuous process of improvement . Please be assured that we will use your feedback in that process.

Happy travels!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
Cape Town, South Africa
Reviewed 9 August 2012

This was a spur of the moment family getaway, and I had stayed here a few years ago on business and thought it would be a good option.

The property is elegant and the decor is good - but a touch on the cold side for my taste.

The gardens and views are truly spectacular.

Service is variable, some of the staff are brilliant, others less so. All very friendly though. Food took a long time to come, but when it did, it was very good quality.

A nice touch was the manager/concierge (not sure who he was exactly) checking in on the tables at breakfast and making itinerary suggestions. He was very friendly and helpful and managed to point us to some great activities even though we know the area well.

My only real complaint was a truly awful stench of cigarette smoke wafting in to our room from somewhere below even though everything was shut. The staff seemed completely helpless to even attempt to help. It really spoiled a great night to come home to a stinky room.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 2 August 2012

Stayed here in February on a business conference. Hotel was lovely although not quite 5 star standard. Hotel was clean but overall level of service was only average. If I was returning to Franschoek (which I would highly recommend), I think I would book elsewhere.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Pretoria
Reviewed 28 July 2012

My wife and I stayed for 3 nights, 26 - 28 July 2012 at a discounted rate. Was not that impressed when we entered the room and first nights stay was iffy, with room not so clean, bed not so comfortable, slanting. After discussing our issues with Gershon thinking he was the Hotel manager judging from his helpfullness, informing us of where to do wine tasting (La Courrone - Excellent with Hugenot chocloate, thanks Tina! and lunch at Le Petite Ferme that includes a wine tour with John who "romances the vine"), we arrived back at our room to be surpised by a very clean room with extra care taken to impress, thank you Francois!
The Camelot spa is a must to relieve stress!

Value for money at discounted rate.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
New Delhi, India
Reviewed 14 July 2012

We were the only guest when we check in. After a few days in south Africa in small, well run hotels we did feel lost. We were well looked after but would I recommend it as an upscale place ...no. The breakfast was not 5 star level from a quality point of view. Good for groups but not if you like to travel as FIt!s. I have to say though that the chef was super and accommodating and made us a good meal. The town is amazing and if you want to enjoy it stay in a smaller hotel ..there are some of high standard. Let me say it was our fault to choose the hotel for what we want in our holiday that e hotel itself. It is good for groups, commences, weddings and company offsite.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Paarl, South Africa
Reviewed 4 July 2012

I thought I would treat myself to a relaxing start to my vacation by booking myself into Le Franschoek Hotel & Spa for the first weekend of my two week break.

Everything was fine upon arrival: friendly and efficient check-inn; wonderful location; spacious rooms (I booked two balcony suites). I had a dinner reservation at one of the restaurants in town and returned to the hotel at around 21h00 - imagine my surprise when I walked into a very loud party in the bar area!

As luck would have it, my spacious balcony suites" were directly above the bar area, with a stairway at my door acting as the perfect funnel for all the noise from downstairs. I phoned reception just after 22h00, to be told that the bar usually closes at 2am (!), but they would ask the crowd to tone it down. About half an hour after I called the noise did subside to the point where my ear plugs blocked most of the sounds. Exactly when they stopped "celebrating" I do not know. Fortunately I always travel with ear plugs, but I honestly did not expect to have to use them at Le Franschoek.

Somewhere in a board room the management of Le Franschoek has to decide where they want to pitch the hotel. You either cater for loud, drunken birthday parties that require a bar that stays open to 2am, or you sell yourself as a romantic, tranquil getaway with spa facilities. You simply cannot be both pub and spa at the same time.

My Saturday night experience was not pleasant at all, but at least the Sunday was better. The spa is good and all the staff that I dealt with (hotel as well as spa) were helpful and professional. And there were no parties on Sunday evening.

Room Tip: Room 11 is directly above the stairs leading from the ground floor bar: avoid at all cost if the bar...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Brighton,England
Reviewed 24 June 2012

My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights as a part of our honeymoon and it was nice but didn’t live up to our expectations.

Rooms
The rooms were nice but were not overly big and this was the same for the bathroom. The shower was really nice but the taps on the sink were annoying because when you turn them on the water splashes all over the vanity area! All the furnishings just looked a little worn, especially the bathroom door. The balcony was lovely though as it was a good size and had a beautiful view over the valley. As there was hardly any light pollution we sat out there in the evening and looked at the stars which were beautiful and we even saw shooting stars.

Hotel
The hotel is in lovely grounds and is nicely decorated. The entrance is also gated so we felt very secure.

Staff
On arrival we were greeted with fresh apple juice and the staff were very friendly and helpful. As it was our honeymoon they did put rose petals on the bed, provided us with a bottle of champagne and a cake which was nice.

Restaurant and Bar
The bar area is gorgeous and the big open fire is lovely. The bar staff are really nice as well. The breakfast was good as well as it had a good variety and the room it was served in was nice. We did eat in the restaurant on the first night as we were quite tired but it wasn’t very good. We were the only guests in the restaurant but the service was still slow. The food was ok but not 5 star. The second night we went out and ate at ‘The Grillhouse’ in the town and it was amazing! The steak there was superb and had a great variety of marinades and sauces.

Location
Franschoek is a lovely place to stay. This hotel was slightly too out of the way, we didn’t mind too much as we had a car but would have been nice if it was a bit closer to town. We spent a day going around the different vineyards and it was lovely to sit tasting wine with beautiful views. The best vineyards were ‘Mont Rochelle’, ‘Deidre Donne’ and ‘Vrede en Lust’. All 3 are a definite must to visit!

Overall, this hotel could be a 5 star but it needs to be refurbished and the food and service needs to be improved. Franschoek is a lovely area to visit but if we were to visit again we would stay in another hotel as this was a bit of a disappointment.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple