We booked to stay at Le Franschhoek Hotel for 6 days as part of a package from Kulula.com. It is a decent hotel but very far from 5 star and therefore not good value for money. You would do far better to stay in a 5 star hotel in Cape Town where the service is of the level expected.
I've listed the pros and cons below of our experience to help provide an overview of what we experienced:
1. The rooms are big and comfortable
2. The staff is friendly
3. The location is beautiful
4. Franschhoek offers some really great restaurants like Haute Cabrierre and French Connection
5. The breakfast is very good and although the service isn't the best (you ask for tea and coffee and it never arrives, they close early although they say it is open until 10:30am - so get there by 10am), the actual food is delicious.
6. The bed is comfortable and big
7. There is underfloor heating which in winter (May-August) is really great. They have underfloor heating in both the bedroom and the bathroom and it makes a big difference.
8. They also have air conditioners which in summer will help regulate the temperature.
9. They have a mini-bar fridge, kettle and stock up on tea and coffee regularly.
1. The biggest problem is that if there is a company function at the hotel you will be a very far second - they will cater solely for a corporate event and are unapologetic about it.
--For example, they booked out the restaurant for an event and closed it to other hotel guests. No alternative plan was made and we were simply told it was closed, we were not informed and had to make another plan that evening. They were not willing to set up a table for us in the other dining area, our only option was to sit at a coffee table and use a bar menu (burger, sandwiches and pizzas). We booked this hotel because we were told they had a good fine dining restaurant and we were denied this opportunity.
2. Quiet - the rooms are not very quiet if there is an event hosted at the hotel.
--Guests played music in the hotel until 10:30pm (which you can hear from your room even if you book a suite) and then later in their rooms until 12am. Many of the guests were drunk and there was a fight outside our room from 12-12:30am. They also mow the lawn at 8am in the mornings outside your room so you are not able to sleep in.
3. Parking - not all the rooms have parking close to the rooms - so make sure you get a room with a parking spot. Especially if you are old or disabled in any way - the walk is downhill or alternatively down and up steps.
4. No microwave in the room (if you want to heat up your own food this will not be possible)
5. Poor staff training - whilst the staff are very friendly they are poorly trained. We had 2 days with no toilet paper - when I asked if someone could come through to assist I was told that house keeping had left so he would find out if someone could assist. Be prepared to buy your own toilet paper :).
Overall this is not a terrible hotel but it certainly does not justify the price tag. It is a great location and you have a super view of the mountain but if you are expecting 5 star service you'll need to look elsewhere.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in the world famous Cape Winelands, Le Franschhoek Hotel and Spa has become one of the most romantic getaways in its class. Capturing the essence of luxury, the impeccably appointed Le Franschhoek offers unparalleled views of the Franschhoek Mountains & is the perfect setting for a taste of the legendary Cape Wine Routes. Features include a destination Camelot Spa & world class conference facilities. Included in Le Franschhoek Hotel & Spa's many accolades are * 2007 AA Travel Guide- Gold Achiever * Conde Naste's top 130 New Hotels of the world- 2006 Hot List * Diner's Club Award- 2006 Wine List * Diners Club Wine List award Gold 2009. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Agoda, Ebookers, HotelsClick, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L. and Cancelon so you can book your Le Franschhoek Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Le Hotel Franschhoek
- Franschhoek Le Hotel