“Truly beautiful”

Ranked #6 of 63 Franschhoek B&B and Inns
Bedford, United Kingdom
“Truly beautiful”
Reviewed 15 June 2012

We have just returned from a 5 night stay at Holden Manz. We found it idyllic and a true home away from home. The setting is truly beautiful, peaceful and relaxing but what makes the stay truly special is the time and trouble taken by Collette (office manager) and Lamek (house keeper), the 2 members of staff who looked after us during our stay. They were amazing and made our stay even more special. Collette was always on hand with great restaurant recommendations, making bookings and arranging taxis’ if necessary. She also went out of her way to show us around the estate and pointed out a fabulous spot on the estate, next to the river, where weather permitting; you could enjoy a picnic provided by their kitchens. (Unfortunately their restaurant was closed at the time of our visit but their menu looked amazing). Lamek was truly outstanding always making sure we had everything we needed from breakfast through to afternoon tea and beyond. He always had our fire burning in our room as well as in the main lounge when we returned from an evening out. Nothing was too much trouble. In fact all the staff we met on the estate were friendly and liked to stop for a quick chat. The hotel is spotless, has great toiletries and linen we can honestly say we had a great stay and hope to return again soon.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Pritchp

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 12 June 2012

Even though it was the middle of the winter, Holden Manz was the perfect place to sneak away from the city for a wonderful evening. The in-room fire place and heated floor made the large room warm and cozy. Lameck made sure that the fire was kept stoked while I was away and returned from dinner to a very comfortable room. Don't forget afternoon tea - almost enough for lunch and the breakfast in the large main room. Grab a book and enjoy the library as well. Such a great place!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank TJScore
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed 1 June 2012

Just had lunch at the restaurant. If you sit on their patio, they must have one of the most amazing views in the entire valley. Absolutely quiet and peaceful..... what more could you ask for?

I tried this restaurant out because I heard that they had a new chef who is quite good.
The food was extremely tasty and very well presented. I had a lamb cutlet. If I had to find something to criticize, it would only be that the lamb was a bit fatty, and should have been trimmed more, otherwise it was great.

They waitress was extremely friendly and helpfull.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
Tiverton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 May 2012

“A few days in Paradise.”
My wife & I, accompanied by our two teenage boys had a wonderful April break in the Western Cape. A particular highlight were the 2 nights we spent at the Holden Manz Guest House. The accommodation is restful and charming, the countryside around a real joy to experience (taking a horse ride around the vineyards is well worthwhile - the day long option is recommended)and breakfast is both charming and delicious.

There is no other Guest House or hotel that I have experienced, and I travel extensively, that can match the sheer generosity of Holden Manz hosts. When the tap on the bath in our room malfunctioned, as can happen, I was immediately given the use of the "Master Bedroom" facilities whilst the repair was made.

The setting is indeed magical mountains that reminded me of Gorenska in Slovenia. There are the wonderful estate vineyard. The guest house is a charming Cape Dutch building filed with contemporary South African art.

The estate restaurant is also thoroughly well run & the food of a typically high standard.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank HCSACT
Cape Town
Reviewed 25 April 2012

Holden Manz Guest House feels like a home away from home when I go to Franschhoek. My husband and I are world travellers and are discerning about certain things. It did not disappoint. The owners are clearly meticulous about all elements at the guest house - food at the restaurant, curated all-local art work adorning the walls, Africology products in the bathroom, high-thread count bedding and the service are all top-class.

My favourite experience of Holden Manz is waking up to the clouds falling over the mountains. Nothing so spectacular.

Definitely recommend.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LW J
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 April 2012

I have just returned from a week long stay at the Holden Manz Guest House and what can I say, this place really is heaven on earth.

From the moment you cross the bridge into the Estate you are transported into another world. The setting is magical and beyond description – but I’ll try. The guest house sits surrounded by a shield of magnificent mountains, facing out onto the Estate’s verdant vineyard. The guest house itself is a fine example of Cape Dutch architecture incorporating whitewashed walls, thatched roofs and vast, but welcoming, spaces. Inside is a treasure trove of contemporary South African art (the owners are also proprietors of the Holden Manz Art Collection on Main Street in Franschhoek, which should not be missed). Imagine being invited to a private view of a stunning collection of modern art, held in an interior from the pages of a glossy interiors magazine and this goes some way to describing the effect on first entering the guest house.

The guest accommodation is sumptuous, designed and styled on elegant, clean lines. Each suite has its own private terrace and enjoys terrific views of the immaculately groomed gardens and mountains beyond. Suites are accessed via a courtyard comprising a serene koi carp pond which adds to the feeling of complete calm and peace that is apparent from the moment you arrive at Holden Manz.

Both the natural and material beauty would be for nothing were it not for the genuine warmth and welcome of the Estate’s owners and staff. Their concern for your comfort and enjoyment is keenly felt and everyone I encountered clearly wanted nothing more than to ensure the guests’ needs and expectations were surpassed. Lameck in particular seemed able to anticipate my needs before I had even realised they existed. From delivering tea in bed at the requested time in the morning to preparing a perfect G&T for sundown this is a man who really knows how to look after you.

If the stunning scenery isn’t relaxing enough then check into the spa. The treatment rooms have the best views of any spa I have ever visited and Di’s magic touch will quickly soothe away any aches and pains brought with you.

If spa treatments aren't your thing then wander through the vines and sample the delicious home grown wines in the Estate winery.

Having found this earthly paradise it would be very tempting not to leave the Estate a moment before the end of your stay. We reluctantly tore ourselves away to explore Franschhoek and discover more of the Western Cape. The delightful Guest House Manager, Collette, went out of her way to help us plan our itineraries, booking advance tickets to tourist attractions for us where possible and arranging restaurant reservations etc. We had not rented a car and most helpfully the Estate provides a shuttle service into Franschhoek, use of which we gratefully accepted on a number of occasions. Franschhoek is a beautiful town - walking slowly along the main street enjoying the warmth of the sun and taking time to people watch and enjoy the beautiful window displays and various inviting eateries you really feel as if you have been transported to an earlier, more elegant time. We sampled a number of the local restaurants and enjoyed none more so than the Estate’s own Franschhoek Kitchen (see my separate review). Situated just across the vines from the Guest House the restaurant provides delectable food and wine in a setting that's second to none. There is little to rival wandering back to the guest house at night, through the vines under the awesome canopy of Southern stars, having relished the Estate’s top notch cuisine and wines, before sinking into a luxuriously comfortable bed made up with the finest linens.

I can’t say this is a home from home because this place is so much finer and grander than my own home, which is, of course, part of the charm. But when the owners invite you to make yourself at home there is no doubt this is sincerely meant and I spent many a happy hour roaming the Estate, exploring the verdant orchard and the river trails, pretending I was mistress of all I surveyed.

I have returned to the Northern Hemisphere with the happiest memories of this earthly paradise and am already dreaming of my return visit to the Holden Manz Guest House.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Kate F
West-Indies
Reviewed 22 April 2012

We came to South Africa for a wedding in KZN and also decided to visit the Western Cape. Franschhoek was brilliant, but what made the stay so enjoyable was discovering the Holden Manz wine-estate with it's guest-house and restaurant. We had such a wonderful and restful time there. It is the most comfortable, warm and welcoming place imaginable. This is a tranquil place, just right for relaxation and recharging ones batteries. Where ever you look, you discover beautifully arranged flowers, art work, objects. This is a labour of love from the owners, the attention to detail is astonishing. Beautiful bedrooms, extremely comfortable, tasteful and very cosy . The beds are like sleeping on a cloud (I haven't slept so well in a long time), the showers are fabulous (even my husband who hates showers loved them), the furnishings exquisite and nothing, but nothing is too much for the owners and their staff. The attention to detail as mentioned before is amazing, from the big bowl of bath-salts by the bath-tub to the candles in the bathroom, the individual fires in each bedroom (we stayed in two different ones), free drinking water and especially the staff, particularly Lameck, who is a true gem. He remembered any of our little quirks and tastes, we felt really looked after. It was hard to leave, but the wedding in the Midlands made up for it, however, our plan to stay in KZN longer was scrapped and we returned post haste to Franschhoek and the Holden Manz Estate, because no where else came close. Another week of bliss and then it was time to say Good Bye. I would love to go back right now if I could, it is a truly magical place, the owners and their staff make one feel one belongs. I would move in tomorrow. Best holiday ever! And the wine isn't half bad either. Look out for the Big G, simply delicious! The restaurant was fabulous too, look out for a separate review.

Room Tip: All rooms are fabulous, the Oliphant Mountain Suite has a great view. Every room very quiet and cosy...