Does this property have some good points. Yes, it does but the negatives we encountered far outweigh any consideration of a return visit.
1. We asked that restaurant reservations be made over a month and half in advance of our arrival. On the morning of our second dinner we were told that our choice for that night was closed and that they had made a booking at another restaurant. At 8:30 AM that same morning I told Franklin, the assistant manager, that we had no intention nor desire to eat at that restaurant. I gave him our mobile number and asked him to make alternative arrangements. When we returned after a day of wine tasting, Franklin did not approach us or say anything. When I approached Franklin he said - "you don't want to eat at XXX?".
2. There are several notes on this site on this property and the effectiveness, or lack thereof of Franklin, the assistant manager. Believe the reports. Ineffective and unresponsive.
3. We were put in contact with Gail of Last Word, the managing organization, for The Franschhoek. She told me she had sent an email. Oh really? Worse, when I told her we would just get a pizza from the place next door she offered to have it "paid for" by Franklin. To be "paid for" meant - FOC - wrong, it was part of the bill at checkout.
4. There are several notes on this site about the "private pool". We would like to reinforce the accuracy of those reports. First, the pool was dirty when we arrived and every day we were there - leaves, bugs, etc. On the other hand, the public pool was not. Given the same surrounding vegetation it was clear they just did not bother. See the attached photo.
5. Private pool. Not even close. These is a partition that does not significantly block the view from the pool to the other room which it shares. The lady next door, sans some clothing, was very surprised when we spied each other.
Look elsewhere for value, service, and honesty.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Last Word Franschhoek is an exclusive five star historic residence in the heart of Franschhoek village, the gourmet capital of South Africa. It’s only a minute’s walk from the many excellent award-winning restaurants and numerous character-filled boutique style shops and galleries. Beautifully restored in the Cape Huguenot tradition, this 5 star boutique hotel has been designed with sumptuous home comforts creating an elegant, sophisticated interior with a handsome mixture of classic and contemporary furnishings. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Agoda, Booking.com, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your The Last Word Franschhoek reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Last Word Franschhoek Hotel Franschhoek
- The Hotel Franschhoek
- Franschhoek The Hotel