Gable Manor Guest House
US$352
US$317
Preferred Hotels
US$155
Protea Hotel by Marriott Franschhoek(Franschhoek)(Great Value!)
US$149
US$282
US$217
Ashbourne House Guest House(Franschhoek)(Great Value!)
US$103
US$90
Auberge Clermont(Franschhoek)
US$162
Mont Rochelle(Franschhoek)
US$430
US$340
Le Franschhoek Hotel & Spa(Franschhoek)(Great Value!)
US$211
US$166
Priceline
  • Breakfast included
US$556
La Residence(Franschhoek)
US$861
All reviewsguest housebreakfast roombasic amenitiesnice loungefresh lavenderguest loungestayed for four nightscooked breakfastcape towncold buffetthe main streetmin walkroom was largelittle gemattention to detailhome from homefirst floor
Reviewed 11 February 2014

My wife and I booked into Gable Manor on recommendation from a friend. We were driving across the country on our annual "home leave" and stayed at many B&Bs, hotels and self-catering establishments during our trip. Gable Manor was by far our most enjoyable stay.
Our hosts, Don and Marlyn, were very attentive and made sure that everything was to our satisfaction.
The breakfast served was delicious and really set us up for the day.
Overall, a great location, excellent accomodation, service and overall value!
We will definitely go back on our next trip to the region.

1  Thank André l
Reviewed 25 January 2014

This was the last place we stayed at on our S Africa trip and it was by far the worst. The room we were in (room one) was on the ground floor and very dark and gloomy. Loads of wardrobe space if you want it though!!! No fridge, mini bar and cold showers every morning as no hot water. We had read that the breakfasts were 'superb' - far from it - in fact the second morning we went out for breakfast. It was half an hour before anyone came to see what we wanted then were offered some luke warm coffee - remainders of the bottom of a filter coffee maker. Only ones in there so hardly rushed off their feet. The owner came round to see us who was very nice but immediately mentioned payment when we had only just arrived the day before and had another night to go. Also the place is like fort knox and because the staff seem to come and go you are always locking doors behind you. The last night we fancied a drink from the 'honesty bar' - went to pour a gin and a whisky and found there were no mixers to go with them!! I do feel this place is rather outdated (it even had a musty smell) and after the other 5 star places we stayed in a real disappointment.

1  Thank Nicola B
Reviewed 19 January 2014

We stayed at Gable Manor as the last part of our South Africa adventure. The brief my girlfriend and I had set ourselves was to relax, eat well, drink wine and have a little pool time. We hit the jack pot with Gable Manor. The room was great, very peaceful and the views from the balcony were lovely. Breakfast was superb, the best poached eggs I've had for years and very friendly service throughout our stay. The owner Don was a huge help. He knew all the best places to eat, had table reservations on speed dial and could advise the best vineyards to explore. If we return to Franschhoek I would gladly lay my head down again at Gable Manor.

1  Thank stuartmccutcheon
Reviewed 5 January 2014

We stayed at Gabel Manor over Christmas for two nights. When we arrived at the house we rang the bell but nobody opened so we left for the village and returned an hour later. We were then let in and had to fill in the normal registration forms.
The welcome was not as warm and as it normally is in South Africa.
Our room had a good size but was rather dark since most sunlight is blocked by plants on the outside.

The bathroom floor was covered with white fusels from towels (at least that is what I thought in the first moment). When I looked closer I realized that there was more than just fusels, like hair from the previous guest, threads and aluminium foil from medical packages. Also in the shower there were several hairs on the wall and floor from previous guest.

I informed the manager and she called the cleaning staff. I showed her the issues directly in our room. She apologized and said that they have a lot of work and the vacuum cleaner is in the second floor… She then came back with a broom cleaned the floor and promised me too vacuum later. When we returned from dinner the room was in the same condition as when we left. The picture I attached was even taken after her second cleaning.
I started to wonder how well the others things are cleaned…

In my opinion it is already a shame that guest have to ask for a proper cleaning in a five star environment… However if it's then still not done I'm wondering I the management is up to the job.

I have to add that we met the owners at breakfast the first day and they seemed to make a caring impression. I didn't mention to them since I thought the manager will sort it out. When I realized at the second she won't the owner's couple was not at the location anymore…
So after all we didn't feel comfortable and that is one important part of what vacations should be about…

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Iifu
Reviewed 3 January 2014

Gable Manor is a very warm and welcoming place. It's just like your staying with a friend. We were lucky enough to have the downstairs bedroom so we didn't have to cart out luggage upstairs. Nice big bathroom with separate shower and bathtub. Wonderful made to order breakfast included. The staff made all our dinner reservations and they give you slips with all the details on them. Which turned out to be a good thing as our first restaurant did not show our reservation. All it took was showing them the Gable Manor piece of paper and we were in. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple