“Charming, quiet hide-away”

Gable Manor Guest House
Ranked #43 of 64 Franschhoek B&B and Inns
Reviewed 10 August 2009

Loved our comfortable room with lavender bedecked linens, comfortable robes and private bath.

Small pool was delightful after a day of sightseeing.

Marlyn's breakfasts were fabulous.

A terrific value!

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for Gable Manor Guest House

Reviewed 10 August 2009

I've been to South Africa 5 times and have stayed at many B&B's including 2 others in Franchhoeck. This is undoubtedly the very best one we stayed at, anywhere. I've stayed at 5 star hotels around the world that weren't better. The food and service were fantastic.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 August 2009

We loved it here, Don was an excellent host and we really enjoyed the property. We tried to extend our stay but unfortunately all rooms were fully booked. Would definitely return.
A small refrigerator in the bedroom would have been welcome, we used the one in the poolside honesty bar instead.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 June 2009

Excellent all round - rooms, views, service, breakfasts etc. Airconditioned rooms and pool welcome respite from relentless March heat. Well situated for access to all attractions in area. Pre booking in service was outstanding - restaurants offering a variety of vegetarian options were researched and details forwarded to us, and booking made on our behalf at preferred venue. Thank you for making our stay memorable and restful - just what two stressed out career driven people needed!
Emma and Neil

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank EmNew
Reviewed 23 May 2009

I am not the average guest, as I was kindly hosted for the duration of the Franschhoek Literary Festival, left my room early each day and returned only late at night, giving me no chance to "test" the amenities. But for my purposes, Gable Manors was a haven. My particular room was very big (and because of the weather) a bit dark (the only reason I haven't given an excellent on all scores), but this is absolutely not a complaint -- I was so grateful to get such a comfortable, luxuriously equipped and spotless refuge, I would have been happy with a room half the size.

I must particularly commend the attitudes of the staff. In a town in which standards of service are already high, everyone I encountered was warm, professional and unfailingly helpful, while never being too effusive. Carmen was a fantastic front of house, and gives an excellent first impression -- I just knew I was going to be taken care of.

The breakfasts were sublime -- I only regret that because I was "working", I couldn't ever linger over the full brunch menu. I recommend the potato and egg phyllo pie nonetheless...

The location quite high up in the village on the mountain slopes is superb if you want privacy and a feeling of getting away from it all -- I imagine that the balcony rooms overlooking the valley have superb views. Because the festival coincided with the most tremendous storm, I had to use my car instead of walking everywhere as I had hoped, so the location wasn't 100% perfect for me, but that was circumstantial.

I think Gable Manors would make a great venue for honeymooners wanting luxury on a budget.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank persephoneinAfrica
Reviewed 23 April 2009

This was a planned stay for friends and family following my sons wedding. What a memory we shall hold. Gable Manor is first class accommodation with everything in the rooms one could wish for. All the staff were so friendly and helpful. We also hired two cottages managed by Gable Manor for other friends and family which were also exceptional with a pool as well.

I would rate this accommodation definitely 5 star and have no hesitation in recommending to friends.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 April 2009

A wonderful bed and breakfast near the heart of Franschhoek. Excellent service and attention to detail from Don and his staff. Courtyard pool great for relaxing. Fantastic breakfast.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with family