“The way to do wine tasting in Franschoek”
Review of Paradise Stables

Paradise Stables
More attraction details
Owner description: In Franschhoek, enjoy horse riding through vineyards, forests and over mountains.
Reviewed 28 March 2014

If you go to Franshoek you should do this. We had a really fun time riding around the beautiful woodlands and hillsides, on a morning ride with a few other people. The Arab ponies are really well trained, responsive and relaxed, and perfect for novice pr experienced riders. This was one of the highlights of our trip. The only downside was a sore backside the next day!

Reviewed 16 March 2014 via mobile

We did an evening ride for 1.5 hours. The views were amazing! This was some of the most beautiful landscape I have ever seen. The horses were very chilled and knew the trails well - I was never afraid and I am a novice rider. The guy who owns the place has been on horse farms his whole life and lives riding. He came out with us and answered all of our questions and gave us riding tips. We really liked this whole experience.

Reviewed 6 February 2014

We are so pleased we chose to do this in franschhoek, it really was special. Definitely not something you get to do every day. We were well looked after by our guide and got to really see the area, visit vineyards and feel like we are part of something special! We cannot recommend this enough. We can't imagine our trip here without it!

Reviewed 28 January 2014

Being both an animal and wine lover this was the perfect activity for me!

After doing a lot of research about various stables all over the Winelands, I finally settled on Paradise Stables in Franschhoek. We opted to stay at the stables too as it was a very reasonable rate.

We chose the afternoon (1pm) ride out as we were driving up from Cape Town in the morning.
The stables are located less than a 5 min drive from the main village of Franschhoek, so we picked up some supplies en route.

We arrived and were welcomed by our hosts, and shown to our rooms before getting changed and heading to the stables. I would recommend wearing long trousers rather than shorts, and take a hat/cap with you and sun screen as it can get pretty hot! Bottled water is a must! You must also wear enclosed shoes (hiking boots/trainers or riding boots are ideal - something comfy with a heel, so your feet can be secure in the stirrups if you want to stand or trot)

Once we were paired up with our horses, we headed off on our ride. The horses are gorgeous Arabs, who are trained to 'follow the leader' - so this experience is suitable for even the most novice riders (like me) who have only ever been on a horse once or twice before. However, if you are an experienced rider, by agreement with the guide, there may be an opportunity to gallop.

Approx 1 hour 15 mins after we left the stables, we arrived at our first vineyard - Rickety Bridge, where we tasted 2 Whites and 2 Reds. If you wish to purchase anything, their prices are extremely reasonable - so we went back the following day to buy a box!

Our next section of the ride was about 45 minutes of breathtaking mountain and forest views (a camera is a must too!). At the next vineyard, Mont Rochelle, again we tasted 2 Whites and 2 Reds. I can't comment on what the prices are like here, as it wasn’t particularly clear.

The final stretch was just over an hour again, through beautiful scenery. The horses know when they are on the home stretch, as they go into a quick walk!

We got back to the stables at approx 4.30/5pm, so it is a good few hours trip, and you work up an appetite! As I'm not used to riding, it was a like a full body work out! I though this was a perfect amount of time - long enough to enjoy and appreciate the experience. Very good value for money too I thought.

Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed our ride, and would highly recommend it!

Moving on to the accommodation, we stayed in a room attached to the main house, which had a 4 poster bed, sink, fan, fridge and roll top bath, with a toilet in a small sectioned off area. The bed was very comfy, with plenty of pillows – probably one of the best nights sleep I had of our trip! It was probably also contributed to the fact that the only noise you can hear at night are the frogs and your own thoughts – it is very peaceful and calming at night, as we sat on the porch and watched the stars twinkling. Exactly what you need after an active afternoon and yummy dinner. (See my other review for French Connection Bistro!) As I mentioned, I thought it was a reasonable rate for the night, and would highly recommend staying.

2  Thank LauraRose
Reviewed 7 January 2014

Being beginners, we were somewhat worried how over 3 hours on horseback combined with wine tasting would end... but we were given very kind and friendly horses, who just followed the leader horse. Quite steep at some places, but the horses knew what they were doing! Fantastic views, changing nature (fields, woods, hills). A great experience well worth the cost and time! But remember to bring water if it is hot!