“As good as I remember! No, actually better...”

Chapmans Peak Hotel Restaurant
Ranked #6 of 64 Restaurants in Hout Bay
Price range: US$8 - US$24
Cuisines: Portuguese, Seafood
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, View, Groups
Description: The restaurant is a local institution, renowned worldwide for the best Calamari in Cape Town, with a popular sun-drenched terrace overlooking the bay and mountains. Calamari at the Chapmans Peak was voted as "one of top 20 things to do in Cape Town".It’s the ideal location for those lingering sunsets and balmy evenings. A sun-drenched verandah boasting spectacular views of the bay offers an alternative eating venue for those wishing to dine Al fresco. And in those winter months, it’s one of few places in the Cape with fireplaces (dating back 100yrs)
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Haven't been to this Cape Town institution for probably 20 years. As luck would have it I had to drop a friend in Noordhoek and then get to CT, so spur of the moment decided to Drive over Chapman's Peak (also haven't done that for 20 years - wow!! Spectacular!). At the bottom also spur of the moment, decided good old Chappies Hotel calamari would make a good lunch. The terrace was pumping with tourists and lots of local Mother's Day patrons. Service was great - attentive, friendly and efficient despite the crowds. Nice selection of wines by the glass (especially if you're driving back over the Peak), and the calamari was even more tender and tasty than I remember it. Well done, and hopefully it won't be another 20yrs.

There are newer reviews for Chapmans Peak Hotel Restaurant

Reviewed 10 May 2014

Its a landmark and definitely a must do when in Hout Bay....We have been frequenting this restaurant for 30 years and nothing has changed other than the hotel being upgraded.....The food is superb and I recommend it highly...

Reviewed 29 April 2014

We have been coming to Cape Town for 20 years and some 15 years ago went to have a lunch and sample the famous calamari and chips. Went back again and it was as if we were there yesterday, still the same calamari in the hot pan with lemon and chips, delicious.
If in Hout Bay a must if you can

Reviewed 28 April 2014

After a prior good experience many years ago I decided to take the family out for lunch to this well located hotel in Hout Bay. Firstly they make you feel unwelcome on the phone. My wife called to ask if they had tables available for lunch. The lady said and I quote. "I cannot see if there is a queue and I cannot tell you if we have a table available. It is only on a first come basis" unquote. Despite this rude response we thought that we were too close to turn around at that stage and we would take a chance. The service was lukewarm with very little sign of leadership and invisible management. I eventually got up from our table and walked over to the waitress to ask her to take our food order. From that point on she was more attentive. The food was extremely oily and nothing like my prior experience. The Dorado was tasteless and very disappointing. I could not finish my meal as the oil had made me feel uncomfortable. As expected I had to ask for the bill at the end. The company of my family made up for the experience. This is a good family restaurant but you will have to take your chances and order selectively.

1  Thank GrantH490
Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

Make time to sit on the veranda for a long lazy lunch afternoon. The seafood is fantastic, the the waiters we'll trained. amazing views