“Wonderful!!!!!”

Kronendal Heritage Estate
Ranked #11 of 59 Hout Bay B&B and Inns
Reviewed 9 December 2013

My wife and I just stayed here for only two nights on the last days of our vacation. It is absolutely wonderful. We really just stayed on property and didn't go anywhere since we had done everything touristy earlier in the trip. We ordered in food from Home Hero's that will collect food from different restaurants in the area and relaxed in the cottage suite. There are two very nice dogs that walk around the property (Duke and Diana are their names). Cecilia and Beauty are the best. What ever you need they will be there for you. Jacob lives on site and is also the grounds keeper.

I do suggest that you rent a car if you stay here. We did not want to risk driving since the roads are backwards from the US, so we took a taxi everywhere. I found one good taxi driver in Cape Town on my first day and I asked him to be my driver while in town. We used him for everything and he never tried to rip us off (consistent business).

Again if you need a little R&R then this is the perfect place!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 24 March 2013

We stayed at Kronendal for 10 days; this was our first trip to South Africa, and we wanted to stay in a place with 'character' rather than a standardised hotel chain where the rooms look identical across the globe. We arrived with relatively high expectations, based on the beautiful pictures. However, the beauty of the property and the suite (all 'rooms' here are suites) blew us away! The attention to detail, from the colours and materials used, to the art, and the finish in the bathroom, are truly exceptional; we felt like we were visiting a very good friend's house, rather than a hotel.

The service is fantastic, very friendly; and the owners have a warmth about them and an enthusiasm about the Estate and the area, that is very contagious. They shared many of their favourite lunch and dinner spots with us, and provided us with tips of what to see and where to go on our day trips around the area.

On the property itself, there is a beautiful pool, quite close to two emus (behind a secure fence) that provide a great backdrop and reminder of where you are. The small number of suites available on this property assure that you never feel disturbed. We will definitely be back on a longer trip, as we were torn every day of whether to leave the idyllic and relaxing place of our 'home' or explore the beautiful surroundings.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 March 2013

We spent ten nights at Kronendal in great comfort and looked after very well by by Maggie and Cecilia who were both very helpful The suite was spotlessly clean, serviced daily, well furnished and well equipped. Our terrace was ideal for breakfast and lunches, the pool and surrounding area perfect for a relaxing time. Kronendal is quietly situated in Hout Bay with easy access to Chapman's Peak, the Camps Bay area, and Constantia. One reason for being there was to cycle and there were superb routes to Nordhoek, Cape Point and in the other direction to Cape Town.

Room Tip: Talk to Maggie and tell her what you are looking for and she will do her best to help. We only saw o...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 March 2013

I stayed for 6 weeks and wanted to stay forever. This place makes the stress evaporate. The setting; with a panoramic view of Hout Bay and especially Chapmans Peak and the bay, is breathtaking. The friendliness of the owners,the quality of the food,the service was unbelievable and the privacy awesome. I'll chose this one again!

Room Tip: Any suite works perfect because they are all Awesome!
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 February 2013

Nestled in a romantic well looked after park you will find a wonderful Cape Dutch Villa with everything a visitor to South Africa can be looking for. You are not in the City with all that buzz but not far away. Kronendal is the perfect place to relax body and soul. The beautiful pool area with the Emus quite close is a must for cooling down. The owners were so charming and warm hearted that one does not want to leave, We had nothing (!) to complain about and find this Hotel highly recommendable.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 February 2013

I spent almost a wekk here on a recent business trip. I always try, when travelling for work, to combine a bit of pleasure with the work. So by looking around, I find someplace nice to stay -- which you can do and still usually come in below the price of a good hotel. I got very lucky with this choice. Just a delightful place to stay.

When I travel I end up working a couple of time zones, which means which I get done with the day's work, there is still a couple of hours of work to catch-up and keep up with the folks in other time zones. The ability to sit at a table in a spacious and beautiful room and also have a decent internet connection means a lot to me when I am on the road for what feels like way to long. The suite had a separate bedroom, so when the work was done and I went to lie down and read, there was also a spacial separation to say, works over. In the morning, as I am a light breakfast eater, I just pulled out a yoghert and fruit I bought or cooked an egg on the burners, brewede some coffee, and sat on the private terrace reading the paper and enjoying the view of the mountains. In the evenings, a dip in the pool and some wonderful places to eat nearby -- range from cheap and funky to one of the top 10 restaurants in the country (The Greenhouse) according to Eat Out magazine -- well it is the way to travel. Maggie and Ulrich, ho own and run the guest house are great people, which only adds to the good karma.

You do need a car to stay there, but I was travelling around the Cape Town region for work so needed one anyway. That made it easy to get out for some fun ont he weekend and after my meetings -- everywhere I went was less than an hour away: Cape Point, Table Mountain, Kirstenbosch National Botanical Garden, and Stellenbosch (where for a business lunch I was taken to Kleine Zalze - WOW another piece of luck, definately a must do. The Greenhouse, which is 15 minutes from Haut Bay, is excellent, but Kleine Zalze is phenomenal -- one of the best places I have ever eaten, so if you only do one, do it and as the setting is a winery, I do recommend lunch as the view is very pretty.)

By the way, ask Maggie for suggestions on where to eat. I would have missed the Dunes if I just relied on Trip Advisor top selections. But then I always like to ask locals as well as check the reviews. (The Dunes is on the beach with a view done the bay and into the ocean. Great place to watch sunset over fish and chips and a beer or wine and just enjoy the simple beauty of being.)

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank RavensFriend
Reviewed 7 January 2013

Spent 2012 New Year. Excellent quality. Atmosphere of a 19th century villa. Recently renovated. Just book a car as its not in the center. 30min away from waterfront. Good restaurant Kitama is 5min walking distance ( book in advance ).

• Stayed: January 2013