“Ben”

Dunes Beach Restaurant & Bar
Ranked #9 of 64 Restaurants in Hout Bay
Price range: US$5 - US$20
Cuisines: Bar, Seafood, Contemporary
Good for: Bar Scene, Kids, View, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Situated on the beach, between the picturesque fishing harbour and the majestic, world famous Chapman’s Peak Drive.Soak up the most breathtaking views on the Cape peninsula from our terraces or balconies.
“Ben”
Reviewed 24 April 2014 via mobile

Worst service ever. Had overseas visitors and waiters were not trained. The manager dismissed our complaints as instructions from the owner. Stay away please.

2 Thank Ben S

Melbourne, Australia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Awful!”
Reviewed 23 April 2014

Great location and the food was OK, but the service was probably the worst I've had anywhere in the world. I have never before felt guilty for ordering food and disturbing the waiting staff. The manager was even more dismissive when we complained to him.

1 Thank Devcra
Heidelberg, Germany
“poor and unsatisfying, a spoilt last evening for a big group”
Reviewed 22 April 2014

I just want to inform you about my experience on a disastrous evening with all of my 32 guests last Saturday at 18.00h.
Though I had arranged everything in advance it was an unforgettable negative experience for all of my guests, lots of them from Germany and Greece and some from Capetown.
We arrived punctually and were neither greeted by any supervisor nor the guests got their “prebooked” Rock Shandy on hand. We were seated near the toilets in the back and I had to order the RockShandy for all again because none was aware of the prebooked aperitif. Nobody came and explained the evening, how it will work with the buffet food. There were no glasses at all on the table, the cutlery was not enough, there were no salad dressings at all on the table, even when I complained.
The 2 plates of starters were a poor joke, some cold Bobotie like “Things”, some snoek canapees, no Mini salad Caprice like pre ordered with the Buffet Menu. 2 tablets for all 33 guests!! It looked ridiculous lost on the buffet table
The following 3 salad bowles were placed unkindly on the buffet side. I asked one of the “running around supervisors” if the people have to pick up the salad with their hands as there were no service cutlery in the bowls and of course no dressing at the buffet table and our tables. There was no bread and butter on our tables despite the announcing on the Menu.
The glasses were partly smelling badly and look not clean, same with the plates. The whole area smelled awkwardly and the wine I ordered was too warm to serve it at once, so we had to wait.
The buffet food was so poor quality that I felt embarrassed for all of my guests who stoked in their food because nearly every meal they chose was not ok. I tried all of it and it was partly uneatable.The beef kebab was overcooked, the meat was hard to chew and swallow, the chicken and the veg kebab taste like not seasoned at all, means flavorless. The big hit was the boerewors in baked beans and the prawn kebab: most of the boerewors was not cooked thru and the prawns were so overcooked and oversteamed that my guests have to pull them out of the shells like a pap or gruel, partly uneatable. The service staff must have noticed that all because of the full plates they had to remove and the lot of food left over.
The only thing you could eat with appetite was the apple crumble and ice cream at the end, the Malva was to sticky and too wet and just sweet, no other flavor.

What went so wrong at this place? Is it the splendid location that spoilt them all so that Dunes is not in a need for good quality food and service at all? Dunes was –in former days- a real nice and good place to eat with friends. Now I can not recommend this place to others without feeling bad. Hopefully, people only have a drink there or have no big requirements for good food but this was just inacceptable and poor
If I have wanted to eat cheap with little costs I should have gone to the harbor Deli and people would have been more satisfied afterwards. They were all not used to that disappointment as we had Dinner at places like Bungalow, Sevruga, Bukhara etc. and all places did their best to serve us! And – Dunes spoilt our last evening which I unfortunately placed at Dunes. Never ever again, I promise.
They may still get consumers in the future who do not care much about a good serviced restaurant. Me, my family and all of my friends will definitely not come back, also my south African friends were shocked as they had still a memory of a good Dunes in former days. I will never again recommend this place to others

Last, my special thanks to the “Mr. no show” of supervisor who I only saw running around unoriented and talking in his mobil phone, probably feeling important while doing nothing to help, ease or limit the damage. He never introduced himself, never helped in any case and was a good example for a replaceable person.
The waiters tried to do their best as much as they could and I don’t blame them on the mismanagement or the bad food. But as a result it was a spoilt last evening for all.

1 Thank Gringasworld
Rob G, Owner at Dunes Beach Restaurant & Bar, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
The customer send the complaint by email prior to sending the review to tripadvisor, and was responded to as follows:

I have discussed the evening with the manager concerned as well as the other staff members involved with your function. After going through your emails and the testimonies carefully, I would like to respond as follows;

Dunes is a relaxed, family oriented beach restaurant, celebrating 15 years under my ownership this year. I do not believe this is achieved by offering poor quality.

We have been serving the Beach Braai Buffets for many years now to large corporate functions as well as smaller parties with great success. Satisfied customers have returned on numerous occasions.

I do not wish to defend the complaints as stated, as I am sure that they are valid. Validity can often only be checked at the moment. Questioning staff about the event often leads to two different stories. My manager assured me that all went according to how we would normally conduct a function of this kind. Certain expectations may not have been met. I am not certain if these were all made clear beforehand.

I do feel that, from the comparison with the other restaurants you mention, the expectation of “Dunes” may have been different. I do not wish to, nor can, compare Dunes to, for example, the Bungalow as these are totally different restaurants with totally different markets.

I do feel that some of the remarks are unjust and do not reflect normal operating standards nor competence levels of staff.

Notwithstanding, I am sorry that the food and the service did not meet your expectations.

The customer received a refund for compensation.
“Why oh why”
Reviewed 11 April 2014

We had lunch at this spectacularly positioned restaurant in Houtbay last Sunday the 7th of April 2014 .The view got an immediate five star rating!!Just go and have a sundowner and chips there !The service was poor,the food was much worse than my own food at home,we also waited very long for our food,the table next to ours left!
Our situation was difficult and we could not leave!
One would expect 5star service and food in our country as jobs are few and far between,if you have one do it properlly or not at all.
If the chef cannot make good fresh food this restaurant will not do well! Maybe we did not drink enough as to forget about what we eat!

2 Thank MarthaBo
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Durban curry served to perfection !”
Reviewed 9 April 2014

This was my second visit to Dunes Beach Restaurant and again our meal was delicious! I chose the "Durban Lamb Curry" which was cooked to perfection! It was tender and flavoursome. My partner enjoyed his fish & chips - his comment ; " it cannot get any fresher ;) " The setting is stunning. We sat upstairs and marveled at the view. The service was fantastic, in spite of the restaurant being very busy. The Dune has a vast range of wines to choose from and are reasonably priced.