“My favourite bar in South Africa”

Dunes Beach Restaurant & Bar
Ranked #9 of 63 Restaurants in Hout Bay
Price range: US$5 - US$20
Cuisines: Contemporary
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Situated on the beach, between the picturesque fishing harbour and the majestic, world famous Chapman’s Peak Drive.Soak up the most breathtaking views on the Cape peninsula from our terraces or balconies.
“My favourite bar in South Africa”
Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

I've read a few reviews about the service being poor however I was regular here for the 3 months when I lived in Hout Bay (late April to mid July) and I found the service to be nothing short of exemplary, a little too much even at some times. Special mention must go to future who was absolutely brilliant. The food was good and the location is great that gives the best views over hanberg and the sentinel. The only negative I can say is that I found that some of the regular patrons of this bar were often rude to the staff but I guess is is out of the control of the establishment. Additionally bear in mind you'll pay a little more here too but that is to be expected when the location is this good.

Visited July 2014

Wellington, Western Cape, South Africa
“Great for families with small kids”
Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

Few restaurants offer tables in the sandpit, which makes Dunes great for kids. The menu is extensive and the view great. The food is average and the service adequate. It's definitely a step up from franchise family restaurants, but not for the fine diner. Have to mention this was lunch, sure looks like it could be a party place at night.

Visited July 2014
Cape Town
“Great food, average service”
Reviewed 16 July 2014

I have been to the Dunes beach restaurant three times and every time their food were amazing. Their pizza is what keeps me coming back for more. Their service on the other hand unfortunately do not match their food... the service is average at best. We were there one afternoon and wanted to pay, so when the waiter confirmed the amount to be paid (we each paid separately with our cards) she would joke and confirm an amount with an added zero... She also punched in the wrong amount after I repeated the amount I wanted her to punch in... Wasn't really laughing after that

• Visited March 2014
Montreal, Canada
“Great location!”
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Dropped by as we came down from Chapman's Peak Drive for dinner.

Food: Great selection! From seafood/meat dishes to handmade pizzas, and they are kids-friendly as they also have a kid meal section~ My vegetarian ciabatta was good, the pesto was tasty but not overpowering the flavours of the vegetables. My friend had fish and chips which was also good apparently. We heard that they are famous for their breakfast, unfortunately we did not stay in the area and couldn't come try it!!

Service: Average.

Value: Average.

Atmosphere: Situated right off the beach in Hout Bay, great views when dining outside of restaurant!

• Visited May 2014
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“On the Beach!!”
Reviewed 4 June 2014

The view is great, the place can get a little over-aught with children running through the diners. The food is average, the service sometimes lacklustre, located on the beach, good to watch the sunset, with a cold one in your hands.

Visited August 2013