“Completely Bonkers 1970's German? Austrian? Restaurant”

Alpenstube Restaurant and Beer Garden
Price range: US$6 - US$15
Cuisines: German
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 28 October 2013

I grew up with Austrian grandparents so know a good schnitzel when I find one...!

A totally mental restaurant, 'Why?'Is the main recurring question I have throughout my visit...'What's it all about?' No real explanation is offered as to why there is a Germanic themed eatery on the main drag in Hout Bay...

Food is ok, (schnitzel good but not superb...no red cabbage was served when I was there so big black mark), proper portions, home cooking, reminds me of the Czech Club my grandparents used to drag me to as a child in North London in the 1970's that served boiled tongue.

Dreadful wines (inexcusable in SA really) but good German beers. Pleasant, homely service.

But all in all a weirdly nostalgic and comforting experience. Strongly recommended for those with German or Austrian ancestry or aging relatives, probably best avoided for those without.

1  Thank KatieKatieF

Reviewed 24 October 2013

We went early on a quiet Tuesday evening to try out the Alpenstube for ourselves and had a very nice evening. Outside of Germany it is the most authentic German food we've ever tasted and the portions were really generous - making even the more expensive items on the menu really good value. It's a great place for a big group of friends to reenact the Octoberfest with lashings of pilsner beer. As soon as we've digested all the food we ate there, we'll be sure to go back.

Reviewed 23 October 2013

We visited based on the high ratings but felt it was a little overrated. Don't get me wrong the food was very good and we enjoyed the Unusual selection meat on the menu , the service was good. No complaints. Just not outstanding to be so highly rated. I would describe it as a casual relaxed place. No need to dress up. Its like a small neighborhood place - bar and restaurant. Would go again but with different expectations and a very empty stomach!

Reviewed 6 October 2013

Sunday lunch with my German in-laws. Aboslutely amazing. Best Eisbein ever! Definitely worth a visit.

Reviewed 12 July 2013

Really a great experience. From the smiles you get when you enter this restaurant, to the warmth ,the atmosphere and the food. The Kudu Fillet was amazing! Thumbs up for the chef. Even the guests in the restaurant were friendly and you can see they are return clients. This feels like you are dining with a family. This family owed restaurant/ business is a little hidden gem in Hout bay. I would definitely refer people to this restaurant. The Imported beers and the Gluhwein is a must try!! We WILL return.