“Great chicken wings, but man, sloooooow service”

Deez Mexican Bistro
Ranked #31 of 66 Restaurants in Hout Bay
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 17 October 2012

I've been to Deez a couple of times before for the chilli poppers and chicken wings and have always enjoyed it.
But for some reason (new cook? Was there a cook?) last night the service was unbelievably slow, to the point where I was close to giving up and leaving.
The restaurant wasn't full, so I couldn't figure out what the problem was. The waitress kept apologising and saying things like, "the food is going on the plates, it'll be just two minutes", but the upshot was that it took an hour from ordering to eating.
And then the guacamole was missing - which was also a little annoying. Anyone else wouldn't have noticed, but having eaten the same meal a couple of times before, we did. She apologised again and said they'd run out - and the spicy tomato sauce was a substitute.
I guess anyone can have a bad night - and as I say the food was tasty and inexpensive. My share of the bill was R105 excluding tip for wings and a third of a bottle of wine.
But just be prepared, and don't go there when you're in a hurry.

Reviewed 2 September 2012

Very good service, great frozen margs and amazing food! All in all, Deez is a fabulous joint to go to for a fun evening. Only thing I would recommend is a change is music!

Reviewed 29 July 2012

A really lovely little Mexican restaurant with excellent, authentic Mexican food and great, relaxed service. There's no big formal menu or generic food and the staff were great in suggesting we shared a few platters which allowed us to taste a little bit of everything ... which was really great as I'd not really been too adventurous with Mexican food before. Lovely fresh ingredients, great flavors and a cosy ambiance made for a enjoyable evening.

It is tucked away a bit from the main restaurant areas in Hout Bay which makes it fairly quiet as well as feeling like a well kept local secret - lots of parking nearby too and worth a visit in my opinion.

Reviewed 20 June 2012

We had a pretty awesome experience at Deez. Food was awesome (Poppers are crazy good btw), actually everything was amazing. Fish you can get any where, but good mexican food with a great vibe is not that easy in RSA, go to Deez!!

It was our 5 anniversary, and we had a really good evening! You won't regret it.

AJ

Reviewed 13 April 2012

My friends and I went to this quaint local Hout Bay restaurant a week ago. The owner and staff made us feel completely welcome, and soon we were as relaxed as all the locals that hang out there to enjoy the fine Mexican Cuisine. Upon recommendation from the table next to us, we had the Chilli Poppers as a starter. Now I see myself as quite an expert when it comes to Chilli Poppers, and this was the BEST I've ever had. The Deez Kneez (which is a portion of spicy chicken wings) was my next favourite, and for desert I had the most awesome Mexican Mousse. Be mindful of strangers that want to buy you tequila's if you want to stay sober - ish, for the beautiful people there just wanted us to party with them. We had a memorable night, and I will definitely frequent this cozy, and very hot spot, even though it is far from where I stay. The value for money and the atmosphere was reminiscent of the old days when dining was still a special event, and Dee made us feel that way exactly.