“Seeing the fur seal colony on Duiker Island” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 21 things to do in Hout Bay
Alexandria, Virginia
169 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 342 helpful votes
“Seeing the fur seal colony on Duiker Island”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2012

One thing to note is that a "Seal Island Trip" doesn't put one on Duiker Island itself. Rather, the charter boat takes passengers as close to Duiker Island as it is safe for the fur seal colony, and passengers have about 10 minutes to view/gawk at the fur seals that are lounging on the rocks or swimming in the water.

I arrived at Hout Bay via the City Sightseeing Cape Town Blue route bus. From the bus stop, you walk a few meters to the right toward all the fishing boats. You'll see a few charter boats advertising Seal Island trips. As I was on a time constraint, I chose Nautica Charters, which was the boat leaving first . The price differences among the various charter boat companies was not significant.

The boat ride out to Duiker Island proved to be rough. If you are prone to motion sickness, I recommend taking something before embarking on the boat. Defer any meals/refreshments until after the trip. The boat ride took around 20 minutes. The boat slows down and eventually stops at Duiker Island, and passengers are given plenty of time to snap photos or gawk at the fur seals. I was amazed at the sheer number of seals there. What I initially thought to be a bed of kelp turned out to be seal flippers as the seals swam on their backs and soaked in the sun. There was also a strong fish smell, but that didn't bother me. Even though the captain turned off the engine, the boat still rocked against the waves, so make sure you've got your camera well-secured. Overall, the Seal Island trip took about 45 minutes, departure to return to Hout Bay. I enjoyed it and am glad I made it one of my stops on the City Sightseeing blue route.

Visited November 2011

39 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 103 helpful votes
“Enjoyable”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2011

We took one of the boat rides from Hout Bay to Duiker Island. It was about $8, which I thought was reasonable. The boat ride to the island is not very long, but it feels like it. The water was pretty rough, at least for landlubbers like me, and several people got sick (not me). Don't know if it's always like that. Once you get to the island, it's like a National Geographic documentary on seals. I've seen seals in the wild here and there, but this little island is covered in seals! The boat actually goes pretty close to the island, so we were able to get some great pictures. The boat stayed near the island for about 10 minutes. For $8, I thought it was worth it - it's not something a midwesterner like me gets to see very often.

Visited October 2011