“Underwhelming” 2 of 5 bubbles

Flora Bay Resort
Knysna, South Africa
“Underwhelming”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2014

Thank you Flora Bay Resort and Hout Bay. I really enjoyed the smell of fish on the air as I arrived in your lovely town; the nasty surprise when I checked in ("Yes, you have paid in full, but an extra R350.00 before we'll give you your key"); stubbing my foot as I climbed into bed (no bedside lights in the bedrooms: groping my way around in the dark is my favourite thing); the lovely trickle I had this morning (and groping again - this time around on the floor of the shower cubicle because you haven't bothered to provide a soap holder); waking at 4:00 a.m. to the dulcet roar of the fishing fleet on its merry way out to sea; and freezing my nuts off in your cold, clinically decorated appartment while I sat around waiting for my travelling companion to awake (with no mats on the faux wooden floors, almost bare white walls, and no heater in the room, it was properly bracing, lemme tell you!).

Nice view, though.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Martin H
houtbay2014, Manager at Flora Bay Resort, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
From management side we would like to clarify that the gentleman who wrote this review was provided with the necessary information twice after his telephonic booking. I also forwarded this information to him again as proof after reception informed me about him throwing items around in the office out of anger and after I personally phoned him to address his concern. We've never experienced this type of behaviour before and have never had this specific complaint before. The R350-00 breakage fee is a fully refundable fee and gets refunded to our guests within 5 working days after departure into their bank accounts. This gentleman's was refunded to him in full as per the agreement and Indemnity form. Hout Bay is a world renowned fishing village and the smell of the sea therefor unfortunately cannot be controlled. We wish this gentleman peace, happiness and success for the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Korean first
Cape Town Central, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2013

My husband stayed for the second time at Flora Bay - great venue - close to cycling, hiking, mountain and beach - feels like a private beach on an Island - prices are reasonable - great improvements each visit - one little bone to pick... bed linen looked like it was soiled and really puts you off! I hope they pay attention for future stays as it is perfect in every other way!

Room Tip: The higher rooms are best as you feel safer opening windows etc.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
      Rooms
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Cleanliness
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your honest and helpful reply. We are in the process of upgrading and renovation and take every suggestion to heart in order to improve on the status of our units and the service offered to our guests. We are thankful to our guests who return time after time, for their support and input since. We are looking forward to many more improvements and additions in the near future and are very excited about it. Flora Bay has been around since 1946 and we intend to create even more beautiful memories for and with our guests.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hout Bay
#11 of 61 in Hout Bay
Hout Bay View
Hout Bay View
#26 of 61 in Hout Bay

Been to Flora Bay Resort? Share your experiences!