“The right way to get away”
Review of Hout Bay Manor

Hout Bay Manor
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Hout Bay
Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa
“The right way to get away”
Reviewed 17 February 2013 via mobile

Many things an be overlooked when the service and environment are right.

Fortunately this is one hotel where everything is great, the service is excellent and atmosphere is warm and welcoming.

What really makes this hotel stand out for me is the unexpected extras that you just don't get at a commercial hotel.

The hand written welcome card, the greeting by name, the little chocolate Almonds in the candy jars in the halls.

Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Merlin K

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Foz do Iguacu, PR
Reviewed 8 February 2013

Myself and two colleagues stayed at the Hout Bay Manor for 6 nights, using the hotel as a base for our meetings around the western cape.

Arriving at the hotel in the evening, we were made very welcome by all the staff. The hotel has style, charm and a very old Africa feel to it. My room was great and at the end of a corridor (so no passing traffic) which was perhaps far too peaceful to entice me out of bed in the morning.

The room had a very effective air conditioning unit, I also had a remote control for lights on my room key (once I had worked out what it was). The bed was large and comfortable, however note that many rooms are twin beds pushed together to look like a big four poster. Bathroom very nicely laid out and all essentials provided.

Every night there was a "bedtime story" and the next days weather forecast left on the bed, as well as a special treat.

The only struggle I had was finding suitable power outlets for my laptop / ipad etc, there is power but it is not necessarily in a suitable place. Internet is available and is free if you are a guest, however their internet provider is not too good and many mornings we struggled to get internet. I have still marked the hotel as excellent as everything else in the hotel was better than excellent.

Breakfasts were fantastic, great selection and your hot food is cooked to order and excellent coffee served.

We ate in PURE, the hotel restaurant and the experience was fantastic with an excellent menu, very well prepared / served food and wine.

Outside swimming pool is nicely heated to 25 degrees, it isn't huge but very nice. Outside showers by the pool, recliners, fresh towels and pool service.

As we were driving to meetings each day, it was nice the front of house staff cleared the road for us to leave and cleared the road and helped us park each night.

The Bar is small and stylish and we used quite a lot and went through Lucas and Bruce's cocktail menu often.

The hotel is in safe walking distance to the beach, bars and other restaurants as well as minutes from Chapmans Peak Drive.

Although we used the hotel as a base for business, I think it is far more a romantic retreat (somewhere I would go not for work!) and is highly recommended.

Room Tip: All rooms are great, however when walking to my room I walked past room number 5 (onto a wooden floo...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
Haywards Heath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 January 2013

This was our third stay at The Hout Bay Manor where we are made to feel like remembered and treasured guests. The boutique hotel decor is exquisite (a mixture of colonial styling meets vibrant joyful African art and colours), as is the warmth, professionalism and friendliness of the staff.

The food is always excellent and beautifully presented, the wine list superb and the swimming pool is heavenly warm and inviting. All in all, one of the best hotels I have ever stayed in and I've travelled a lot!

I can't wait to get back for our next visit......it feels like coming home!

Room Tip: Book a room with an outdoor alfresco shower on the tiny, enclosed and very private patio from your r...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Hazelm504221
Ipswich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 January 2013

first contact was with Amanda, front of house, delightfully helpful and fun... booked for one night but ended up staying for 7!! Wonderful hotel, staff amazing. The hotel was quiet as it was October and we were treated like royalty. I had been ill the week before our stay and chef even prepared a special broth for me.. Everything about this hotel was first class. The jars of sweets, baskets of water and fruit and champagne for breakfast, all made for a restful stay. Nicholas was always on hand to help as were all the staff. Loved it!!

Room Tip: Recommend the honeymoon suite
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Hout Bay, Western Cape, South Africa
Reviewed 15 December 2012

ate at Pure Restaurant last night and the food was truly excellent. Superb. Glass of bubbles, bottle of red, starter and main came to £25 a head. An affordable treat. Service was good, not intrusive. Nice touch to be offered a pair of glasses when the bill came so I could read it!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Cathy G
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 12 December 2012

We took advantage of a night's stay in Cape Town at Hout Bay Manor through a Groupon special. I have to say that this was one of the best hotels I have ever stayed at. Despite only paying a third of the normal price, we were treated the same as if we had paid full price. The hotel is so beautifully decorated and clean and the staff were all friendly that the service offering was amazing. I will certainly recommend this hotel to friends and family.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Samantha P
Somerset West, South Africa
Reviewed 11 December 2012

Wow this was unforgettable! After an extremely stressful period my husband and I decided to try a getaway close to home. Leaving the teenagers behind we headed for Hout Bay. On arrival we were greeted by a warm and friendly gentleman, Nicholas. The front office staff were extremely efficient. The atmosphere was calm and peaceful.We were taken on a quick tour and escorted to our room. The ladies that served breakfast the following morning were warm and friendly. Chloe and Gail who did our massages......girls we want to adopt you!!Pity we had to leave.....back to reality.

Imre and Belinda Andras - Somerset West

#1 of 12 in Camps Bay
CUBE Guest House
CUBE Guest House
#1 of 59 in Hout Bay

Been to Hout Bay Manor? Share your experiences!