“Fab function venue”

Quentin at Oakhurst Barn
Ranked #2 of 63 Restaurants in Hout Bay
Cuisines: African, Seafood, Contemporary
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Capital Cape colonial country cooking at its finest!
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“Fab function venue”
Reviewed 13 April 2014

Attended a birthday party for 40 guests and this really was an ideal room with a long center table,
chandeliers, proper settings and all the trimmings. Bar was very welcoming and we'll stocked and the selection of wines first class. Staff were excellent even though we had a few slip ups in timing and serving individual choices. The boss Quentin was on hand all evening and gave the orders so the function was well managed. Only issue we were thrown out at 12.30pm because the neighbours moaned about the noise so the party was over before 1am but we had a great evening.
Not sure on pricing as we were guests but the choices of lamb chops and Kingklip were well portioned and very tasty.

• Visited April 2014

Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Something missing....”
Reviewed 7 April 2014

For a restaurant which isn't cheap, there was something missing - can't quite put my finger on it. The location is perfectly ok, and the room nicely decorated with farming equipment, the service was maybe a bit new at this, but not too bad - so it has to be more around the menu - it's quite limited, and very meaty, and there was simply little that attracted my attention. The food itself was nicely made, no problem there, but given that I simply don't like certain things, the restricted menu means there's no point in coming back - nothing to choose!

2 Thank 788GuidoZ
Cape Town
“This is one of the best in Cape Town”
Reviewed 27 March 2014

I have been to Quentin's twice now and on both occasions there were four of us at the table. Every one of the dishes on both occasions was exceptional!
The venue is really nicely set out from the arrival at the parking area to the entrance, the restaurant itself and the décor - all very tasteful. There is a peaceful 'good karma' about the place. The food is not over fussy as is so often the case in fine dining restaurants with all the young El Bulli wannabees out there.
As starters the duck terrine and the marrow bones are both exceptional. Quentin was, for a time, Sol Kerzner's chef and the dish he calls "Sol's Lamb Curry" is very good. The baby chicken is great so is the duck.
Prices for food are reasonable but the wine list, whilst the wines are good, lacks some everyday wines at reasonable prices. The corkage charge is R50 and even at that rather high price it might be worthwhile bringing your own. Another thing regarding the wines; The Barn is just that - a barn - and I imagine that it can get quite hot under the tin roof. The red wines are kept in the barn and do not seem to be cooled so the older Meerlust (2008) we ordered was definitely off. Credit to Quentin, it was taken away without argument and we ordered a younger wine that was fine.
Quentin is around and he pays personal attention to every table which is a rare thing in restaurants. Service generally was great.
We loved it and will, without question, be back.

Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Nice one, Quentin!”
Reviewed 19 March 2014

We had dinner with friends at the Barn on Friday. Great ambiance with candles and chandeliers.
Nicely greeted and taken to our table , discreet and timely wine and food ordering, Quentin checking each table with a few words of welcome. Great food all round and Quentin again seeing us on our way out. Prices reasonable. Super evening in all respects. Well done Quentin, lucky us to have you in Hout Bay! Jon

Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Wonderful Experience”
Reviewed 16 March 2014

Everything about our evening was top-notch. First, the decor really sets the tone for the meal--a quirky mix of farm implements and chandeliers clues you in that this is fine dining that doesn't take itself too seriously. And the kitchen is semi-open and visible from many of the tables, and we could see the chefs were on top of things as indicated in the presentation and flavours in our food. I also loved the family photos in the hall by the bathrooms--nice touch to let customers see that side of his life.

For starters I had ostrich carpaccio and my partner had tuna. Both were done very well--my husband raved about the taste and texture of his fish. We both had duck which was prepared very well with a lovely sauce.

My only complaint would be that the portion sizes for both starters and mains were way too big & I by no means did justice to the meal. With such complex flavours, smaller portions are better in my experience.

I'm surprised by the comments on service as I found our servers very attentive and knowledgeable. I watched the tables around me and saw good interactions between staff and patrons.

I think fondly of our night at Quentin at Oakhurst Barn and look forward to returning to SA and having another lovely meal there.

• Visited February 2014