“A fabulous place!”
Review of The Tarragon

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hout Bay
The Tarragon
Ranked #3 of 60 Hout Bay B&B and Inns
Reviewed 31 October 2007

We stayed 1 week in The Tarragon and enjoyed it very much. Julia and Mark made us feel very welcome. We especially enjoyed the peace and quiet in The Tarragon. We will definitely return and can deeply recommend it.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank EvaZGeretsried

Reviewed 22 October 2007

Excellent welcome and attention from Mark and Julia; we were so well looked after including arranging a reliable taxi service. Our room, Jasmine, and the gardens were marvelous and all that we hoped for, and so well tended by the cheerful staff. We had all the privacy we wanted and we can thoroughly recommend The Tarragon without any reservation whatsoever. Absolutely first class.

Gareth and Jane Edwards
Edinburgh

• Stayed: October 2007
1  Thank OsPercy
Reviewed 14 October 2007

I just returned from my holiday at The Tarragon. I had a wonderful time. The place it fantastic: beautiful cottages, gardens and a great playground for children. Staff were lovely which was a another bonus!! I´d recommend it to anyone.

J.M.O.

Stayed: October 2007
3  Thank jufleming
Reviewed 10 October 2007

The Tarragon is a wonderful place to stay. Lovely owners, very nice rooms and an amazing view. We would recommend it highly to anybody!

Stayed: October 2007
1  Thank AAM21
Reviewed 6 October 2007

If you're looking for a relaxing stay near Cape Town, this is the place. It's based in the near-by Hout Bay area in a secluded, secure, out-of-the way spot with great views. A good location to strike at the popular tourist spots.

A warm welcome and guided tour around the facilities is a good start. The rooms (or should we say, apartments) are large, spotlessly clean and contemporary with huge beds and modern furnishings. The bathrooms have enormous showers and the kitchens are fully-equipped. The five apartments have been cleverly located so you have lots of privacy and peace if required. It was a bit early to use the good-sized pool, but we were informed we were the first in this spring!

The only thing with the location is that you will need a hire car to get around easily - we had no problems as the roads are well-maintained and clearly signed... driving on the left helps too! There's an excellent, small set of shops at the bottom of the hill and lots of great restaurants near by (but still a drive away).

The little details made a big difference to our stay - fresh flowers, coffee, tea etc provided and a bottle of wine to welcome us. Mark, Julia and the team were extremely friendly and helpful. We advise you to book early!!

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank TonyDebbie
Reviewed 27 September 2007

We chose The Tarragon for our stay in Cape Town/Hout Bay on the basis of the other reviews on Tripadvisor.com, and were so glad we did. The accommodation itself is fantastic - lots of space, great decor and a beatiful private veranda with a BBQ and stunning views of the mountians. And the location is great - easily placed for the City, the coastline and the wine regions. The owners, Mark and Julia, were really welcoming and helpful, and so clearly care about making The Tarragon a great place to stay.

Stayed: September 2007
Reviewed 16 September 2007

I stayed at the Tarragon from August 31 to September 6, 2007. Cape Town was my third stop on a two-week round-the-world business trip; I arrived into CPT airport on the 12-hour overnight flight from Singapore and took a taxi down to Hout Bay bright and early in the morning, exhausted and wondering how I would stay awake until check-in time. No worries; the owners Mark and Julia were there at the compound awaiting my arrival with smiling faces and open arms, and my cottage (Saffron) was fully-prepared and spotlessly clean.

First things first - the bed was easily the most comfortable of the trip (and this was no small feat, since my previous two hotels were the Intercontinental Singapore and the Sakura Tower in Tokyo - both 5-star establishments). The bed was covered in two brand-new duvets, the weather was crisp, and the only sounds were those of the bucolic Hout Bay countryside and the bubbling brook outside my window. Consequently, I can proudly say that I slept for 15 hours straight! I attribute this record-setting accomplishment not only to the comfort of the bedroom but also to the discretion of Mark and Julia - they had received a message for me that afternoon, and not knowing whether I was asleep, they attached it to the door rather than risking waking me up.

Saturday morning, Mark and Julia arrived bright and early (again) to help me map out my weekend sightseeing strategy. Although they're from Britain originally, they seem to know the Cape area much better than most locals. My original plan had been to try to BMW (bus, metro, walk) my way around greater Cape Town - I'm not a big fan of driving - but Mark and Julia said that since I only had a few days to sightsee, I would be much better off with a vehicle. A couple of phone calls later and they had lined up a real BMW - a 1995 525 model - from a local garage for 150 ZAR a day, all inclusive (about USD$21: easily the cheapest rental I've ever had). Take that, Avis!

My first full day, I drove along the M6 into the city - who knew that the drive from Hout Bay to Cape Town would be one of the most dramatic in the world, with crashing South Atlantic waves on the left and the steep peaks of the 12 Apostles on the right! [Chapman's Peak Drive, to the south of Hout Bay and supposedly even more impressive, was closed for repairs, alas.] That day I saw the waterfront and the city center as per Mark and Julia's recommendations. Definitely a nice town - safe, clean, relaxed - and every Cape Towner I met was warm and polite.

Mark recommended a casual restaurant in Hout Bay for a late lunch - Primi Piatti - to which I returned for secondi and terzi. Try the lamb chops, gorgonzola gnocchi, or chicken/eggplant parmesan foccacio - as good as anything in Italy, and with huge servings. There are also a couple of seafood shacks on the Hout Bay waterfront serving very fresh calamari and hake; further, Mark recommended a Thai restaurant but I never made it there. At any rate, between the restaurants in Hout Bay, Camp's Bay, Constantia, and in Cape Town itself, you won't have any problem finding a good place to eat.

On Sunday, Mark recommended a drive to Greater (Groot) Constantia (wine country), Simon's Town/Boulders (to see the only mainland penguin colony in the world), and southward to Cape Point (the Cape of Good Hope).

Monday and Tuesday the sightseeing was over as I had two full days of meetings at the Arabella and the convention center in Cape Town. Meetings started at 9:00am; at 8:30 I was rushing out the door (with toothbrush in mouth) when Caroline, the very warm and kind cleaning woman, stopped me and ensured that my extremely-rumpled suit received a good pressing. Outstanding! By 8:35 I was on the road, winding up the M6 between the ocean and the cliffs and into town - I really wouldn't mind having to make that commute every day.

The cottages at the Tarragon were always spic and span - Mark took me on a tour of all of them - the decorations were very feng-shui, the lighting warm and comforting, and each cottage had very nice bathrooms and kitchens (there are a couple of excellent supermarkets in Hout Bay including a Woolworth's), and all of the technological accouterments (flat-screen, satellite, DVD, wi-fi, etc.). There are several washing machines for guests' use, although Caroline washed and ironed my suitcase-full of dirty laundry from Asia for just ZAR70 (USD$10). There's a swimming pool, koi ponds with waterfalls, terrace with a view onto the valley, and Mark and Julia were building a jungle-gym play area down in the woods as well. Clive, the groundskeeper, is a true professional who keeps the compound looking like the Singapore Botanical Gardens. Not far from the Tarragon I followed a great hiking trail as per Mark's recommendation that takes you up to a hidden waterfall in the woods (watch out if you climb the rock up to the top of the waterfall because getting back down is quite tricky).

I must admit that all of my business associates in Cape Town thought it strange that I would stay down in Hout Bay on a business trip - but am I ever glad that I did! I was able to get all of my work done efficiently, but it felt more like a vacation than work. I reluctantly left the Tarragon on Thursday night, but rather than being exhausted after a business trip I was completely refreshed - so much so that the 24-hour journey back from CPT to BOS (via LHR) was a piece of cake - I even made it back in such good shape that I was able to go see the Yankees cream the Red Sox (alas) that Friday night at Fenway Park in the second-longest MLB game in history (Dice-K, why do you take so very long between pitches?)! How's that for refreshed?

On the face of it, the Tarragon is an unlikely destination for business travelers, but already I'm trying to swing another trip back. So: if a businessman had so much fun there, imagine how great a vacation destination it would be! Mark says that sometimes groups book the entire compound for special celebrations - I'm working on an excuse with my friends to do the same.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled on business