“Another Cape Superlative....”
Review of Froggs Leap

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hout Bay
Froggs Leap
Ranked #25 of 59 Hout Bay B&B and Inns
Reviewed 1 March 2013

This is our tenth stay @ Froggs Leap after 13 trips to South Africa so you could say we are somewhat enamoured with its charm.
As with most of the places I review in South Africa, the reason we keep going back is the genuine and wholehearted welcome we receive from the hosts. It is not so much going on holiday as coming back home.
Joke and Stewart run a beautiful establishment - mostly testament to Joke's skills as an interior designer of some repute. The initial visit was full of "wows"and "woos" but it is the fact the property has evolved and retained its fine level of detail that impresses me.
All five rooms in the house are great, think we've stayed in most of them but a special award for the continued excellence of the breakfast with Christine and Tia assisting Joke with Stewart, as ever, responsible for the important matters such as whether there is enough coffee on and the acquisition of that morning's "Cape Times"/"Sunday Times". I usually summon up the courage to ask Joke for a mushroom omelette by about the third day... The other half loves the fruit combibations and the quality of the breads on offer each morning.
We usually aim for a stroll down to the beach and Fisherman's Wharf to make space of the generous portions.
Regular guests come and go and the conversation is always entertaining and occassionally racuous but the welcome to all is genuine and heartfelt.
One of our favourites and we look forward to going back when we return to SA.

Room Tip: All are good - depends on what is available when we book.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 9 February 2013

This referral was our very best this trip. Joke and Stuart do an excellent job, both in the character of this nice country home as in the wonderful breakfast. Joke's interior design topics are shown everywhere, including the presentation and the quality of their breakfast. Thier location is as safe as you can expect in this mixed community.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 November 2012

We stumbled across this charming Guest House run by a friendly and engaging couple, who have traveled the world and laid anchor in Hout Bay. The rooms have magnificent views over the town and the bay, but is only a short walk from the beach. tranquility in luxury surroundings, time to kick back and chill.
The rooms are massive and bathrooms luxurious. the high ceilings and ceiling fans keep them cool Only 30 minutes drive from Cape Town, it is very tempting to stay here when on business in Cape Town. there is so much to do within 1 hours drive that spending 2 weeks would not be a problem.
Breakfast hit all the essentials, great presentation, without being overfacing, and served by polite and smiling staff ..... perfect start to the day.
Would we come back? Silly question most certainly yes. We stayed at some lovely places on our two week trip but this is our favourite.

Room Tip: All rooms have good views, but the first floor views are best.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 November 2012 via mobile

This is a very comfortable B and B with good sized rooms individually designed by the owner to a very high standard. Owners live off the premises so you have a comfortable lounge and fire to yourself. Breakfast is a real event with beautifully presented food. You wont need lunch! Very convenient for access to cape town. Hout bay has numerous restaurants and boats to see whales and sharks. Kirstenbosch botanic gardens not far as well.

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed 3 June 2012

I have debated for quite some time exactly what to write and even if I should write. In the end, I decided I would have wanted to know what I know now before I had opted to stay at Froggs Leap. In the interest of balance, I offer that the amenities of this bed & breakfast are quite impressive. The rooms are clean, the linens are nice, the views are remarkable, the breakfast presentation is almost artistic, and the gentleman who part-owns the B&B is delightful. In my book, however, amenities go only so far. All of the aforementioned aesthetics were greatly overshadowed by the manner in which the staff were treated by the female co-owner of the B&B. In my view, she was condescending and rude to the women staff members, who scurried about as if they were scared of retaliation. The staff members' eyes were often cast down to the floor, and, quite frankly, their expressions brought me back to an era in American history that still haunts. What the readers of this review should know is that when I travel I am more drawn to the people than to anything else. Yes, I enjoy the art, architecture, music, language, geography, food, wine, and all the vital elements that make a culture unique. Above all, though, it is the people who provide that cultural distinction. So, I tend to look for the ways in which people interact, how they live and love life, what they value, their expressions, their pace, their hand gestures, what they discuss, and how they laugh. Outside of Froggs Leap, I instantly fell in love with all of that. Joy abounds in South Africa, and the unparalleled smiles of the people and the heart-warming cadence of the diverse languages make for a joyous experience. All of that was obliterated for a short period, however, by the disparaging, impatient, and anachronistic ambiance at Froggs Leap. I wish I had known all of the above before I made my reservation.

Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
12  Thank Migliaca
Reviewed 2 April 2012

We stayed at Froggs Leap for the first 4 nights of our holiday and found both the location of the B&B and the hospitality excellent. It was our first experience of South Africa and a great start to our holiday! We had a verandah room on the ground floor, which was really spacious and comfortable. Breakfast in the morning was excellent - fresh fruit, followed by either a continental or cooked breakfast (or both!) Joke and Stewart were really helpful suggesting places to visit, scenic trips and recommending restaurants for the evening. When we had a trip planned with an early morning departure, Joke arranged for breakfast to be made earlier so that we wouldn't miss out! The beds were really comfortable and big and the rooms were cleaned every day. Although the B&B was full for most of the time we stayed there, you still felt as though you had your own space to relax and unwind in the peaceful surroundings, before walking the short distance in to Hout Bay. If was only 40 mins to drive to Cape Town from Hout Bay, so perfectly positioned to allow you to explore both Cape Town and the peninsular without having to stay in the City itself.

Room Tip: We would recommend a room upstairs if available, as they would be quieter at breakfast time as the g...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 December 2011

We always feel very emotional when having to depart from Froggs. We travel a lot but this is the place where we feel most at home and most relaxed. The place itself is sublime with amazing views and stunning scenery. Perfectly positioned away from Cape Town but near enough. The rooms, beds and linens are first class. However it is Joke and Stewart that keep us coming back. They are simply wonderful people and are a great deal of fun. We would love to have Joke as our Big Sister! Breakfasts are superb with every attention to detail and Joke's omelettes to die for.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple