“Christinas@Van Loveren wine estate - the best Fillet steak”

Christina's Bistro at Van Loveren
Ranked #1 of 28 Restaurants in Robertson
Price range: US$3 - US$10
Cuisines: Pizza, Contemporary, European
Good for: Business meetings, Child-friendly, View, Kids, Groups, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The place to lunch in the Robertson Valley if you love Thin-crust wood-fired gourmet pizzas, award winning burgers, great food made to order from fresh local seasonal produce. Located within the lush gardens of the Van Loveren Estate, child and pet friendly seating under the vine-covered pergola, or inside the old Manor House with french doors opening up into the gardens. Also open on Sundays when local musicians set the tone for a laid back afternoon!
Swellendam, South Africa
“Christinas@Van Loveren wine estate - the best Fillet steak”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

We are infrequent (being retired, and money-tight) diners at Christina's Bistro at the Van Loveren wine estate outside Robertson, Western Cape.

We live in Swellendam, and the 118 km round trip to dine on the best fillet steak I have eaten in my life makes the fuel cost worthwhile.

Today we decided to make the trip form our home, and I phoned Christina's and made a booking for 13h00. It was fortunate that we did make the booking as the restaurant, when we arrived, was almost full.

Outside seating was not an option as the weather was quite cold, being mid-winter in South Africa.

We were shown to our reserved table, and the menus were supplied .. we had already decided we would both have the 250g fillet steak, which (as per the menu) comes with potato wedges, plus battered, deep-fried onion rings.

The steak arrived, complete with chunky potato wedges, but with no onion rings. We struggled to catch the attention of a waitress ... fair enough, the restaurant was very busy .., so we tucked into the sublime (as always) medium-rare fillet. It truly is the best fillet I have ever had, and I have eaten fillet in many countries in the world. We did without the onion rings.

Christina's is a gem of a venue, serving excellent food, and we have always had great service in the past. I would like to think that the absence of our onion rings was a one-time slip in otherwise good service ... I'll have to go back soon.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank atomcrusher

Worcester, South Africa
“Perfect Sunday afternoon”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

On a whim we diced to have Sunday lunch at Christina's. Homely, authentic and realy good food. Especially the fillet! We will definitely be back for more as this is extremely good value for money. If only they can get the service up to scratch as we had to get our own wine and glasses as it just stood there with no one around for 10 minutes. Then we had to ask two waiters to help us with our food order - although we were then pleasantly surprised with the service we received after telling the third waiter that we will leave if they do not pull up their socks...

• Visited June 2014
Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa
“Great setting, average food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2014

We wen through to Van Loveren to check it out. The wine tasting is excellent. You have an opportunity to have a variety of pairing platters which are excellent value. The outside setting is great.

The following day we arranged to have lunch with friends at Christina's. Again the garden setting is stunning. We were a bit early and our friends had not arrived, so we had a long and very pleasant chat over coffee with the restaurant manager. When our friends arrived, we ordered and settled in for lunch. The service was good and attentive.

As we were also going out for supper, we decided to go light for lunch and ordered salads. Unfortunately the leaves in my wife's salad were a bit past it and should not have been used. My Thai salad was generous, but had none of the classic Thai flavors. A bit bland in fact. Our friends ordered the steak. The portion size was generous as was the chips and onion rings. But that was it. No sauce or anything green on the plate. Just meat, chips and onions. So I shared my salad with our friends. They seemed happy, but I though the presentation of the dish could be better.

We shared an excellent creme brulee and our friends had ice cream with chocolate sauce and coffee.

A pleasant meal, but mostly because of the setting and not the food.

We will be back, but mostly for the wine pairings.

• Visited May 2014
Lancashire
“Very nice”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2014

Very nice relaxing lunch. We had the man salad which is inappropriately named !!! We found the staff were friendly as all of eating places we visited in South Africa. We would not hesitate to recommend Christina's@van lovern.

Visited March 2014
1 Thank Barlicker
Robertson, South Africa
“Soggy crumpets, disinterested hostess and ...... Stolen food!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

We frequent Christina's as locals and as a rule have a most favorable experience, that is until today! Having booked a table we arrived at 10.50am for brunch. The hostess kindly moved us to a table with no sun for this she gets 100%. Unfortunately this is where the positivity flew out the window. Our one guest ordered sparkling water and 15 minutes later fetched it from the counter inside the restaurant. We had to go in search of our waiter to place our order. Having placed our order the wait started. Eventually I could see some food under the heating lamps and wondered if we might get lucky? Mmmmmm! Three of the orders arrived at 12.40 and had indeed been under the heating lamps for 10 minutes. The food was place on our table with not a word of apology or even an explanation as to the delay and where the last order might be. This is where it gets interesting: having approached the hostess, she said she would check.....returning to tell us someone had taken 'my' food to another table. The waiter returned and said they had run out of muffins! When my food arrived 15 minutes after the rest of our table had started eating, the muffins were raw and doughy! When I again approached the hostess expressing my unhappiness, she replied that they were doing their best! YES! That is exactly what you should be doing if you run a restaurant! The chef was then summoned as she was to 'blame'. After profuse apologies and another 10 minutes had passed I finally received my meal. Muffins more toasted but still raw and tacky. My one guest asked for a side of mayo and receive a small bowl of runny mayo/watery stuff. From this point onward the hostess ignored our table and in fact turned away as we were leaving. For this she scores zero%!!!! I shall be sad not to go to Christina's and can only hope this is not a general patern of poor service and arrogance setting in. Only time will tell!!

Visited February 2014