“Delightful dinner”

Mo & Rose at Soekershof
Ranked #8 of 28 Restaurants in Robertson
Cuisines: European, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Business meetings, View
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Discover MO & ROSE’s country getaway for exploring the Robertson Wine Valley – situated on perhaps the world’s longest wine route the R60/R62 just outside of Robertson in scenic Klaasvoogds West. Nestled at the foot of the Langeberg mountains, enter a magical world – a sensual secret garden inhabited by legions of succulent plants and trees silhouetted against the vast South African sky. At the centre of this marvel reside the boutique country house and a superb wine bistro.
“Delightful dinner”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014 via mobile

My husband and I took our two kids here aged 6 and 10 and they were extremely accommodating. The food was very good and we had a lovely evening. My husband was a little disappointed as they had the wrong main course for him. They took it back and served him with the main course he had ordered within 15 minutes but mine was delicious.

George, South Africa
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great evening at Mo & Rose”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014

We had an unplanned dinner at Mo & Rose and were blown away by their food and hospitality.
It was an experience that I would gladly recommend to people that would like to have an evening of fine dining. Complements to the chef!!

Observatory, South Africa
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Hidden Gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2014

We happened to stumble upon Mo& Rose on our way back from Breede Valley to Cape Town.
It is a bit off the beaten track and we were not sure what to expect but MAN oh MAN were we pleasantly surprised!
We were greeted by the owners who happened to arrive as we parked out car , fresh from our camping trip (and thus also a bit underdressed for this pretty restaurant!).
The staff were attentive but non-obtrusive and the the meal was lovely.
They offer a 2-course or 3-course menu and M & I both opted for the 3 course.
I enjoyed the Stuffed Quail with spinach & citrus salad while M had the Steak tartare which is prepared at your table. M then opted for the T-Bone with potato gratin and I had the pork loin & calamari with pea puree & veggies alongside sweet potato crisps. I have never had such tender squid in my life! It was melt in the mouth amazing. The pork was good but I would have preferred a bit more seasoning (just nitpicking here!) and M's T-Bone was cooked to perfection- super juicy- just heavenly! For pudding we had their take on bread and butter pudding and a coconut & mango tart. Wine for the day was a single vineyard Arendsig Sauvignon Blanc - perfectly light and balanced for our long sunny lunch. We also happened to meet some of the local diners and have a lovely chat to Christine & Tony who also raved about Mo&Rose and the area. Such lovely folk!
We had a walk through their stunning , super well manicured garden after lunch before our 2 hour trip back home to Cape Town.

Mo & Rose also offer accommodation on site and I am very tempted to stay for our 5 year anniversary coming up in June...will keep you posted on that!

Cape Town, South Africa
“Very unkind owner”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2014

We contacted the owner, Axel, of Mo & Rose on the glowing recommendations from both our marriage officer and Trip Advisor. It is extremely sad to have to be writing about a really uncomfortable experience with them, but so be it.

Due to circumstances, we had to book a very last minute marriage ceremony in Robertson and we found Mo & Rose, thinking it would be a beautiful place to hold an intimate lunch for a small group of our friends to celebrate afterwards. Axel was at first somewhat accommodating to our request, and I asked if it was possible to do just simple food and maybe I bring some place cards and a tablecloth for the table. He requested a seating arrangement, and I called to follow up and see what else he needed from me.

I'm not sure if he was just having a bad day, but my call was met with really unpleasant aggression. He told me I don't like what he does, he doesn't want to take our booking, and we are making it impossible for his guests. I never intimated any of this in any of my communications, and actually wanted the process to go smoothly so we were just trying to say we would do what he needs for support. Anyhow, two days before our ceremony we are left in the lurch with a place to hold our lunch, but I suppose that's the way it goes.

Needless to say, we won't be supporting this guest house or restaurant, as a great experience starts with basic client service and a good attitude. Such a pity!

Anyway, I hope all of you have different experiences than we did. Best of luck.

1 Thank Willow C
Montagu, South Africa
“good food, beautiful environment”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2014

we had lunch here as a delayed Valentine. excellent meal. we had a souffle for starter and pork fillet for main. both very good; however, 3 comments which is why we only give 3 stars. the starter tho deleicious was very substantial, almost a meal in itself. the pork fillet portion was perfectly cooked but - to us - extremely generous - and left no room for pudding. the deserts were all quite chunky and there was nothing ligthweight like a sorbet. and - the most serious comment - no vegetarian option on the menu. we are not veg but have many overseas visitors who are. these days it should nto be necessary to phone ahead to a high class restaurant to ask for a veg meal.

Monika S, Owner at Mo & Rose at Soekershof, responded to this review, 6 March 2014
Thank you for your review, we are happy to read that you enjoyed the quality of our food and our setting. Just some remarks on your observations: we do have a lightweight desert option on our menu, it is our mixed berry parfait. Other than that we also have homemade ice cream. You are correct - there is no vegetarian option on the menu but our guests can consult with the waitstaff on that day and our kitchen will prepare a vegetarian meal to the specific requirements of the guest. No need to phone ahead. In the past we had vegetarian options on the menu that were requested very little. In addition there are multiple dietary requirements (pescatarian, vegan, gluten free, etc.), so we decided to cater on demand and to the specific needs as far as possible (gluten free: please call us ahead).

Monika, Manager and Owner