“Van Loveren has really lifted its game”

Van Loveren Family Cellar
Ranked #4 of 27 things to do in Robertson
More attraction details
Owner description: Add a wine experience to your Garden Route / Route 62 Itinerary! Situated on the popular Route 62, South Africa's largest family owned winery boasts a pallet of superb experiences: Wine Tasting, Food & Wine pairings, Hiking, Garden Tour, Mountain Biking/ bike rental, Bird Watching, Bistro (lunch). You're welcome 7 days a week!
Reviewed 23 March 2014

What used to be a bit of a scruffy poorly organised wine tasting experience has been upgraded to a first class experience. The wine range has also improved. There is also a nice restaurant which serves good food.

There are newer reviews for Van Loveren Family Cellar

Reviewed 28 February 2014

we had a lunch at van loveren, new cellar and winetasting room.
Lunch was only very average and wines a (even the Christina range)are not at the same (far from) as for example Springfield. Next time we try something else, not van Loveren
It was weekend so loads of families with small kids

Reviewed 22 February 2014

I arrived with 2 clients at Van Loveren wine estate at 4pm on a hot Saturday afternoon, having driven 5 hours from Oudtshoorn, only to be told they are closed and actually they close at 3.30pm.
After I begged the lady if we could do a quick wine tasting, she grudgingly agreed.
The gentleman who conducted it was very disinterested, told us not one thing about the wines and poured red wine into glasses that still had some white wine in them.
How can one possibly think it makes sense to stop wine tasting at so early an hour, especially in the middle of a very busy season?
Very disappointing. I shall not take clients there again!!!

1  Thank jacquibcapetown
Reviewed 13 February 2014

11/02/2014 @ approximatley11.45 am.I am an overseas visitor that has returned to visit my parents who live in Mossel Bay. I had very fond memories of a brilliant wine farm that have been absolutely shattered!! Although the new building is gorgeous and takes into account the stunning gardens, the staff have been a huge let down. There was no discussion with regards to the various wines on offer, and to be honest it was almost a chew to pour the wine!!

Whilst there we asked where the restaurant was, as we have a two year old and it was nearly lunch time. We where told the restaurant is closed on Tuesdays. As we were staying in the area, and had a designated driver I asked to see a menu anyway. "We don't have any" was the response??? As a result there was certainly no repeat business from us....and that was a huge missed opportunity!

Whilst at Van Loveren there were two men that had ordered the cheese and wine tasting platter. It was clear that the staff were laughing at their expense as they were quite portly....It was extremely unprofessional to say the least. I think because I had a Yorkshire accent, they were unawares that I could understand Afrikaans.

As an experience it was appalling. We visited plenty of wine farms in the area and all offered a superior service. I will no longer buy Van Loveran wine, in South Africa nor England,where we have a local village pub. It really is a shame!!

2  Thank Samantha M
Reviewed 3 February 2014

Love this place and the wines are wonderful and great value. Bought a few cases and got recommended some great dishes to go with it. Had a wonderful time.

1  Thank Alida B