“A great experience”

Teniqua Treetops
Johannesburg, South Africa
“A great experience”
Reviewed 28 February 2014

Living in your treehouse was very special. We thoroughly enjoyed our time there. The peace and quiet, being with nature was most relaxing.
The walk down to the river and back through the forest was magnificent.
Thank you very much for the sponsorship.
Moira and Kito Holz

Teniqua, Owner at Teniqua Treetops, responded to this review, 15 March 2014
Hi, it was great having you come stay. Happy people enjoy everything more. I am pleased you enjoyed our creation.
Robyn

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Worcester, South Africa
Reviewed 25 February 2014

Very nice accommodation, kitchen well equipped and bathroom awesome! Everything one needs for a romantic weekend away! If only there was a real braai (we want to braai with wood!) it would be perfect! :)

Teniqua, Owner at Teniqua Treetops, responded to this review, 26 February 2014
Hi, I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay. We have thought lots about the issue of wood fires and requests from guests to use candles. We have tented accommodation in a forest. It is just too great a fire risk. A Weber with briquettes is much more controlable. We have build a central fire circle away from the trees if guests want a wood fore. But, I do understand your requirement,
George, South Africa
Reviewed 23 February 2014

we spent a weekend at treetops in February - it is everything it says it is on the website ! - its peaceful and quiet and a different experience. But its not for everybody ! - We enjoyed our stay - both exhausted from a hectic fast paced life the peace and quiet was just what was needed - the accommodation lacked a certain feel of luxury and whilst one felt comfortable it would have been nice to feel a little "pampered" duvets and pillows and beds could be upgraded and rather than expecting guests to sleep under duvets in the middle of summer light throws could have been on hand for a more comfortable nights sleep - I totally get the " green" vibe and I think the work that has been done at Treetops is amazing - but there is not much to do and we found the walks in the forest both very difficult and strenuous - it was also very hot and humid and the fan in our room was a complete waste of time the chairs and outdoor furniture were also lacking and what was provided was not very comfortable - and whilst the open bathrooms are a great idea I should imagine in the winter months or in between seasons they would be challenge - which I would not expect at the prices charged .

Teniqua, Owner at Teniqua Treetops, responded to this review, 26 February 2014
Hi, thanks for your input I do always want to improve the resort so I love it when guests make good suggestions. I intend to replace pillows this week, light throws ? I am not sure what you mean, but I will ask when I buy the pillows.

We have had an expectionally hot summer this year. I will see if we can improve on fans...

Somerset West, South Africa
Reviewed 15 February 2014

We loved our stay in the tree-top tent overlooking the valley, with only the sound of the birds and forest animals to cross the sound barrier.

Wonderful place to visit for nature lovers.

Every tree-house is secluded and the view is absolutely fabulous, awesome way to spend time away from the hectic schedule of life.

Teniqua, Owner at Teniqua Treetops, responded to this review, 26 February 2014
Ah brilliant, delighted you enjoyed your stay
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed 14 February 2014

How often can you say you have stayed in a treehouse? My husband, myself and 2 kids (ages 11 and 10) stayed here and LOVE it! Great vibe and energy here. Hosts eager to please and breathtaking views! We also did a hike and enjoyed the cola water in the river-don't like the color turn you off-the water is amazing! All the extras made it special: pool, jacuzzi-with cold water, stilts, giant chess board, games room. we even walked over and petted the beautiful horses next door. At night, we saw a gazillion stars!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family

Teniqua, Owner at Teniqua Treetops, responded to this review, 26 February 2014
Thank you for such a favourable response, I know what we do is unusual and we we appeal to the nature loving guests. I am so pleased you had a good time

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 February 2014

Very disappointing - we stayed two nights with our 2.5 year old because we love camping. However, the Treetops are not at all suitable for toddlers despite the owner's reassuarance before our arrival. Dirty kitchen, the sofa and cushions full of old stains. The resort claims to be environmentally friendly but the huge bath tubs and environmentally non- friendly dishwasher product makes the "environmentally friendly resort" sound like a marketing trick. There is not much do for a family with toddlers in the near vicinity - the "walk" to the river recommended by the owner was definitely not suitable for someone carrying a child carrier (despite the fact that we are used to hiking at altitude in the Alps) as it's as it includes quite a lot of scrambling. I don't understand how swimming in the river can be recommended given that my husband immediately got a leech on his leg after just accidentaly stepping in the water while crossing the river. We stayed in 8 different resorts during our 2-week stay in South Africa and Teniqua was the only place where we felt we overpaid for our stay.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family

1 Thank Adventure160611
Teniqua, Owner at Teniqua Treetops, responded to this review, 26 February 2014
Wow, I am sorry you did not enjoy the resort. Generally I have had a very favourable response from people with children and toddlers, so I am suprised. I intend to ask Cape Nature if we have leaches here, as far as I know we don't get them on the Garden Route, but I will find out. In terms of water, we use river and rain water in the bath, we feel that the water consumed goes back into the earth and runs back down to the river, so I don't think it is an environmentally bad thing to do, we harvest all our rainwater. We let the grey water go through a grease trap and then via a swale back to the earth and it filters back to the river. I do not beleive its a problem. As for cleaning materials, I have tried the green alternatives and I have found quantities consumed counter indicate their use. So I am sorry the resort was not an enjoyable place for you.
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed 10 February 2014

Best place you can find on the garden route if you want to be isolated and enjoy nature. each chalet is secluded and has an amazing view on the forest. Highly recommended to couples and stressed businessmen.

Teniqua, Owner at Teniqua Treetops, responded to this review, 26 February 2014
Thanks I am pleased you enjoyed your stay. regards
Robyn
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sedgefield
Conrad Pezula
Villa Afrikana Guest Suites
Blackwaters River Lodge
The Turbine Boutique Hotel and Spa
Protea Hotel by Marriott Knysna Quays

Been to Teniqua Treetops? Share your experiences!