“Very diverse market”

Wild Oats Community Farmers Market
Ranked #3 of 19 things to do in Sedgefield
More attraction details
Owner description: Wild Oats is a local farmers and food market open every Saturday morning until 12 noon. We are located on the western outskirts of Sedgefield at the turnoff to Sedgefield Island. An award winning Garden Route landmark we are not to be confused with the Scarab Craft Market to the far east of Engen Petrol Station or the Mosaic Flea Market across the road from Wild Oats. As a food market, our open times are limited due to the short shelf-life of many of our LOCALLY PRODUCED products which include: Free-range chicken, beef, pork and lamb, free-range eggs, multiple cheese, dairy and baked products including fresh gouda, cheddar, blue-cheeses... milk, fresh fish, fruits, free-range & organic vegetables in season, many traditional and exotic bottled goods, organic olives, berries, rusks, koeksisters, biltong & wors, famous artisan breads, award-winning cheesecakes and goats cheeses... and on and on and on. Also a fabulous range of hot-off-the-grill breakfasts, coffees, teas and fresh-squeeze juices and smoothies. FOOD HEAVEN! Come face-to-face with our local food producers every Saturday morning, come rain or shine.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase
Reviewed 6 May 2014 via mobile

We visited with our young kids and weren't disappointed. There is an enormous range of different goods to eat. We ended buying various fudge. Will definitely be back and hope to sit down this time.

All reviews
in 4 reviews
"chicken"
in 5 reviews

Reviewed 24 April 2014

So far biggest farmers market I have ever visited. Lot of shops and variety of items.
Good place for breakfast too. Opens only on Saturdays.

Reviewed 31 March 2014

I love markets, I adore visiting Thailand because of the markets and this South African market is well worth visiting. You can find anything here - arts, crafts, fresh produce, cakes, and all sorts. The market is situated just outside Sedgefield (South Africa's go-slow-town). remember to take cash, there are no credit card facilities here, but if you forgot your cash you can draw money at the ATM inside the BP garage (next to the market).

The market consists out of 2 parts - one with mainly edibles - fresh produce - sweets - jams - breads - cheeses - biltong - cakes and bakes etc and the other with a variety of stalls - food and goods.

Buy some holiday souvenirs here, make sure to visit early because they serve yummy farm breakfasts..... and here is an friendly hint.....

My friend purchased a backpack here for R350 and 3 days later I saw the same bag in a Chinese store in town for R150 less! Oh dear - that's disappointing and we thought she had bought a bargain at the market!!! So shop carefully :-) and visit a Chinese store beforehand to make sure you don't get ripped off when you buy clothing and/or accessories.

1  Thank LaraMostert
wildoatsmarket, Owner at Wild Oats Community Farmers Market, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2014

Thank you so much for your raving review! We are Wild Oats Community Farmers' Market, established in 1999 with a firm policy of localization: ALL of our vendors are FOOD PRODUCERS resident within the Garden Route area. The unfortunate comments regarding CRAFT that we receive quite often are actually misdirected! WE DO NOT TRADE IN CRAFT! We have signposted carefully (and within the legal limitations) to bring awareness that there are 3 markets operating on this node, but many visitors do not make this distinction... as in your case. Wild Oats policies are carefully designed to maximize local sustainability (check out our website www.wildoatsmarket.co.za) and these include a below-retail and no-resellers dimension. We are aware that the Scarab Market also promotes a local-producers only policy, but unfortunately the middle market known as "Mosaic Market" does not (yet!) share in these localization efforts and therefore you will find Chinese and other non-African goods available at this market at uncontrolled prices.

Reviewed 15 February 2014

Loved the huge choice of products. Very friendly vibe. Seems like a nice venue to meet for breakfast with friends and do all those greengrocer shopping!

See more reviews
Reviewed 14 February 2014

18 months ago we stopped at the Wild Oats Farmers market just outside Sedgefield. I found THE LITTLE HERB GARDEN stall and bought a variety of goodies including their Chilly Relish. This product adds Devine flavour to ANY dish. Had I known how delicious it was I would have bought the entire stock to take home.
We returned to the market in January on our way to Plettenberg Bay, to my dismay, there were only two bottles left. The solution, I placed my rather large order and collected it on our way home!

This relish does not destroy the taste buds but adds a fabulous flavour to any dish.
One taste and unless you fill your pantry with a good stock, the craving will get you.
The good news is, I hear they are opening an on-line shop. No more panic attacks for me!

If you are headed down that way, and if you would like to take my word for it, place your order ahead of time. This sounds like an add but trust me, I am not employed be them.

The market has a fantastic atmosphere, plenty of seating where you can just relax, people watch and feast on all the delicious foods available.

This is a must for anyone who enjoys fresh produce, plants, herbs, breads, cheese, you name it, they got it.
Enjoy!