“Sadly this was my last visit”
Review of Sedgefield Arms

and 1 more site!
Sedgefield Arms
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Sadly this was my last visit”
Reviewed 5 January 2011

The Sedgefield Arms is a pretty little holiday spot, tucked away from busy highways but conveniently situated near a small shopping centre.

I first stayed there in December 2009 where I spent a wonderful and peaceful two weeks. It was such a blissful stay, in fact, that I booked another two week stay in the same unit over the last festive season.

Sedgefield Arms is located one street away from the N2 highway but you don't hear the traffic. It is a cluster of self-catering cottages with a restaurant and bar overlooking a swimming pool. The restaurant serves great food and it was great to be able to jump into the pool after coming back from the beach.

The website for the Sedgefield Arms claim the accommodation is luxurious, but I would rather call it clean, spacious and quaint. The lounge furniture and bedding were updated since last year, but the kitchen needs a revamp too. I heard that there are plans underway for further renovations and improvements for the units.

But after my first enjoyable stay, I now feel that that the Sedgefield Arms - now under new management - is a place I will not return to. In the past the pub stayed open only until 10pm. Now it remains buzzing until 2am, which is not fun for residents of the units located so close by. A raucous party is not great if you are forced to listen to it from your bed, situated less than about 10 metres away.

I had specifically asked, when I heard that there are new owners a month before my trip, if the pub would still close at 10pm, as I had booked the very same unit I had used the previous year, which was situated extremely close to the entertainment action. Her response was that business hours had been extended, but at the same time ensured me that noise levels would be managed. It was too late to cancel my holiday but I was happy with her assurance.

On the first night of my holiday I phoned the manager to complain about the noise from the bar in the early hours of the morning . "The liquor licence states that we can stay open till 2 am," I was told. And then: "I can't tell my customers to keep the noise down". I realised after that that I would just have to complete my holiday there and never return.

So one happy holiday, followed by another not-so-great one has left me feeling extremely disappointed.

I cannot recommend this charming little spot to anyone wanting to choose their own sleeping hours on holiday.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
4 Thank travellerza101
Preston P, Guest Relations Manager at Sedgefield Arms, responded to this review, 12 January 2013
Dear Travellerza101

It is with great disappointment that I have come across your review for the Sedgefield Arms and cannot apologise enough for your bad experience with us in 2010, however the new owners of the Arms have gone to great lengths to keep the Peace and tranquil environment that you so fondly speak of on your first stay with us.

We have since revamped the Arm and do hope that you will soon return and experience the joy that you had on your first holiday with us.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)