“Quiet on Sunday night, I think” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Afrovibe Adventure Lodge

Afrovibe Adventure Lodge
Singapore
“Quiet on Sunday night, I think”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2014

We happened to spend a night here on Sunday night. ( I was in Garden Route Tour with other tourists ) Our guide explained that almost every restaurant in Sedgefield is closed on Sundays, So we had to eat dinner at this hostel. Yes, Sedgefield was so quiet when we arrived and we found the restaurant ( in the hostel) full ! Still, it was rather quiet.
The 6-bed-dorm I stayed is just above the restaurant. I left the restaurant a bit earlier than everybody else. I think the restaurant was open till 23:00 or so because it was Sunday. Still nothing bothered me when I was sitting in the dorm. Probably there weren't party people staying at that night. Next morning, there was no garbage scattering in the parking. It was a peaceful morning.

Breakfast is lovely (40R). It was served from 7:30.
Dorm (en suite) is very basic. I think you probably have to pay for towel.
I wish there were more public bathrooms/toilets beside of each room. The only public toilet we can use is the one in the restaurant.

All staffs are friendly at both reception and restaurant.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank mamacita1001
Afrovibe_Cindy, Manager at Afrovibe Adventure Lodge, responded to this review, 28 May 2015
Hello
Thank you for your review and positive feedback about our establishment.
We look forward to another visit from you.
Cindy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Cape Town Central, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2014

My husband and I found Afrovibe a week before we decided to go on honeymoon and I will never regret it.

Afrovibe Adventure Lodge is truly a lodge for people with good spirits, that are fun and outdoor lovers. Especially the beach. Afrovibe is situated in a perfect location over looking the beach with a stunning view from your balcony.

The friendliest staff who are more like family make you feel right at home, with great advice on what to see, they even help you plan your day trips and activities. they suggest what is best suited for the weather and always helpful when you have a quesion.

The perks:
* Most of the activities are on your doorstep
* You are right on the beach
* Below your room is one of the best beach bars you will ever experience - PiliPili beachbar BEST PIZZA EVER!!
* It looks a lot like a little paradise.
* It is very affordable if you enjoy doing a whole lot of activities.
* Afrovibe even have their own guitar lessons :)

Afrovibe has started me on this quest for backpacking.. but it is definitely my new favourite escape and I look forward to seeing the afrovibe adventurers there!!

Room Tip: If you are a couple I would definitely suggest a double room - Room no.5 it has the best view both i...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Neelo K
Hello
Thank you so much for this beautiful review. We are so happy you had such a lovely stay. It's already been a long time since your last visit...maybe it's time for a second honeymoon? ;)
Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2014

Afrovibe was great! Very nice relaxed atmosphere, great staff, awesome wood oven cooked pizza, very good prices, lovely staff always willing to help make your stay very enjoyable, would definitely go back again. Very safe and secure, and clean too. Lots of suggested daytrips to choose from, and drivers to hire for the day to take you wherever you like. Awesome place. Loved it.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Kim W
Hello Kim
We are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us last year. Thanks for the review.
Regards
Mthatha, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2014

I was at Afrovibe between Christmas and New Year's, and loved my experience there. As an American living in the Eastern Cape for the year, I was so happy to finally get to the Garden Route and Afrovibe was a great place to be situated for exploring the area for a few days. I was impressed by the super friendly staff and rooms, absolutely loved the location right on Myoli Beach, and found it a really fun vibe but also was able to relax--between braais on the pavement, chatting with other guests, and sundowners on Cloud Nine and on the beach. The bar was great, and their pizzas were among the most delicious I've had in SA! I also went paragliding in Wilderness, which the staff at Afrovibe set up for me, and which was a breathtaking, beautiful experience. Definitely wouldn't have wanted to stay anywhere else on this trip-- thanks Afrovibe for such an enjoyable stay.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Christina L
Hello Christina
Thanks so much for taking the time to review us. We are happy that you enjoyed your stay at Afrovibe. We hope to see you again soon.
Cape Town, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2014 via mobile

Afrovibe is a really great spot. Close to the beach, friendly service and staff, restaurant and bar downstairs. The only real negatives that we experienced were the fact that there is no communal area to meet other travellers other than the bar (not run by the backpackers themselves) which is not too bad but would be nice to have something more social. Our other issue was that we stayed on the side faceing a holiday home. At 11pm exactly while we were talking outside our room, the neighbor started flashing their torch at us and telling us to keep quiet. This despite the fact that there is a bar downstairs blaring music until 3am. Like I said a small negative, more about the neighbours than the hostel.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Chad S
Hello Chad
Thank you for the review; we are happy that you enjoyed your stay. We've recently opened the Afrovibe Beach House just down the road from the current Lodge which has more social spaces. When you visit us again we can show you :)
Regards
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2014

I was a little sad when I arrived here, having left my friends in Knysna behind, I was all alone Awww!!! But...I didn't feel alone for long as this is a very friendly place and I got talking to people, moreso the staff very quickly. They are very helpul and seem to really enjoy working there. There seemed to be plenty of things available, trips, activities, though I only stayed the 1 night so didn't get involved.
The hostel is right by the beach and there are nice balconies with sea views. Few beaches could beat this one and it is not crowded. There is a bar and restaurant forming part of the place, seems to be good middle of the road quality, they cook pizza outside on the stove and there's choice. Breakfast is very nice and reasonably priced.
I was a little dissapointed to be charged a full rate for taking a room of my own, especially as their website does advertise singles. I don't believe they actually have single rooms. The hostel does have shared accommodation, though I just had a lot of luggage which is why I opted for my own room.
The room itself has all the amenities of a guesthouse / small hotel room. Ensuite and towels are provided. TV but only a couple of channels. Fan.
The bar was quite noisey, I was right above the bar, so you may want to ask about room location. This went on until around midnight, but after then it was quiet and I wasn't disturbed after.
Wishing I was by that beach right now!!
I

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank tzetchy
Thank you for your review. We always like hearing back from our guests (even if we reply a little late). We hope you will visit us again :)
Cape town
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2013 via mobile

The days and evenings here always start so promising. Our first nights sunset, a spectacular red and orange explosion of splendour, was a promise of the start of a great holiday. The wine was unpacked, the braais and potjies planned.....we were all looking forward to unwinding the stresses of a long work year...

But now.......It's 1:30am. And the music is pumping for the second night straight! The parking lot is a mixture of beer, sweet smelling spirits, screeching tyres and the kind of misogynistic speech usually reserved for an inmate of this countries most notorious prison.

Here is what the opening line of this beautiful place should be: "We are accommodation built on top of a night club which stays open till 3 am. Our parking lot is a late night/early morning gathering spot for drunk drivers and idiots with a very limited knowledge of the rich variety of adjectives that exist in both the English and Afrikaans language." But I don't suppose they would get much custom if they were that honest.

Right now, I am contemplating giving up my mornings to catch up on sleep. Or maybe my early evenings. I figure if I sleep from 5pm till about 11pm, then I can ride out the late night nightmare and get some additional sleep from 4am till about 7am when the next days activities start in full. It's not ideal, but what the heck, we all need to sacrifice a little to keep this countries economy going.

If it's a relaxing, traditional South African beach holiday you are aiming for, then avoid this place like the plague in high season, for you will only be reminded of that one abusive drunk uncle that ruined everyone's holiday that one year. If you would like to relive your teenage years of late night club hopping, public drinking and going to sleep when the sun rises, this is the place for you...

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Reinardt B
Afrovibe, Owner at Afrovibe Adventure Lodge, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
Dear Reinardt B, - husband of Zazabee

Please refer to a blog posted on our homepage titled: "Do's and dont's of Backpacking". This blog was written specifically for your type of holidaymaker - the typical local tourist which we do NOT cater for and would preferably not host in this establishment. The local tourist/s we love to welcome to Afrovibe are those that are fun loving, young at heart and open to new experiences.

In future please dig deeper into your pocket and book a hotel- not a Backpackers Lodge.. especially not in the busiest week of the year.

Regards,
Lyle
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sedgefield
Lakeside Lodge & Spa
#4 of 14 in Sedgefield
Dover on Sea B&B
Dover on Sea B&B
#1 of 14 in Sedgefield

Been to Afrovibe Adventure Lodge? Share your experiences!