“Strange name, but a great spot”
Review of SW1 Lodge

SW1 Lodge
Cape Town, South Africa
“Strange name, but a great spot”
Reviewed 4 July 2012

My partner and I spent the night at SW1 lodge, under Toby's care out of the blue. It was a groupon special - and boy were we pleased. A great room, with a sumptious bath, an exquisite massage and then down the road for a fabulous dinner. The restaurant is also owned by the same people. Not surprising. The attention to detail was amazing.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank mozzy9
Terri C, Owner at SW1 Lodge, responded to this review, 21 August 2012
Dear Mozzy

A big thank you to you for the review posted recently. I am so pleased that you had a good experience at SW1 AND JennaVIVA
We hope you will return to us soon.

Warm regards

Terri

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed 26 June 2012

What more can you want from a Lodge? It has everything!!

I have travelled many times in my career and have never come across a place with so much heart, warmth and style.

Tobie, who I contacted when I was looking for a temporary home was quick, professional and negotiable to my plea. I met all the staff and was welcomed so well, it will be hard to leave after three awesome days here.

You can feel God's peace is here.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
5 Thank Laura T
, Owner at SW1 Lodge, responded to this review, 28 June 2012
Dear Laura

I am thrilled with the opinion you have of SW1 and it's staff! Ren, Tobie and the SW1 team will be thrilled to read your review. This is what makes their efforts worthwhile.

Thank you for choosing to stay at SW1 and for taking the time to post your comments. I do hope we will see you again soon.

Warm Regards

Johannesburg
Reviewed 8 June 2012

My wife and I got married in Stellenbosch in November 2011. We decided to rent out all of the rooms at SW1 for our family and some members of our wedding party. This is the best decision we made as we really enjoyed the intimacy of the property as well as the freedom to move about as we pleased. If you have a very large party, I highly recommend renting out the whole place. Suffice it to say that we all thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The manager (Debbie) was superb. She was always available to attend to our needs and helped us organize sightseeing trips as well as dinners at a wonderful local restaurant. Each room at SW1 had its own unique character and charm.

I recently read a review about racism at SW1, which was not consistent with our experience. Our party of 20 people was largely black (save my white "uncle") of different nationalities (Nigerian, American, South African, and Basotho from Lesotho) and we were treated with the utmost hospitality and respect.

SW1 is great value for money and we would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank Ugwunna
, Owner at SW1 Lodge, responded to this review, 28 June 2012
Dear Ugwunna

Thank you very much for taking the time and effort to post a review on Trip Advisor. We are so pleased about your opinion of us and that you had such a wonderful time when you stayed at SW1. I remember you and your group very well. I recall how positive and enthusiastic you all were. It was a pleasure having you as our guests.

You spoke about returning to SA sometime again soon and I hope it will also be to SW1 :)

Till then I wish you all the best.

Warm Regards

Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 3 June 2012

Warm sunshine filled my beautiful room all day long. It was a good reflection of the attitude of the well trained staff; friendly, caring, but always very professional.
Recommended by Dr Toogood’s Somerset Aesthetic Surgery, I stayed a fortnight at SW1, recovering after a major operation following the diagnosis of cancer. In fourteen days’ time, one can really see whether an establishment can live up to the nice words and pictures in the brochure! All I can say is that the pictures and words on the SW1 website can truly be trusted! It is a true reflection of the gorgeous place! Add to this the wonderful ambiance of wood fires burning, interesting coffee table books, large white serviettes, good coffee brewing, the nosy peacock bird outside your window and who need ask for more?
Meals were served in my room. The courtesy van delivered me gingerly in time for follow up appointments at the Surgery. Laundry was taken care of. SW1 is the perfect hideaway, but also home away from home where my friends and family could visit me in style and comfort.
This record of my most enjoyable stay at SW1 is but a poor attempt at expressing my deep gratitude towards Ren, Tobie and their fantastic team.
Thank you to every one of you!
M Venter
Gauteng

Room Tip: Lala Kahle is so private with own kitchen, little garden and porch, it will be like your own apartme...
Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank Mari V
Terri C, Owner at SW1 Lodge, responded to this review, 5 June 2012
Dear Mrs Venter

Although we have never met I feel like I know you! The staff were always so full of praise for you and the dignity and bravery you have shown with dealing with your terrible illness.

Thank you for the wonderfully worded card you left for the SW1 team - it meant a great deal to them. Thank you also for your incredible words of praise on this Trip Advisor site. We all feel very buoyed to know that our sincerity and love for what we do and what we stand for has been so positively noted. This is even more pronounced given all the stresses you have facing you. It is indeed appreciated. All staff will be advised of the wonderful praise you have given them.

I was often at SW1 but unfortunately when you were at the doctor or sleeping but Tobie kept me informed of your progress each and every day. He has a huge 'soft spot' for you and he was quite emotional when you left. He speaks of you often.

I hope that every day there is improvement with your health. You have an amazing support system in your husband and family.

Please come and stay or visit when next you are in the Cape.

Warm regards
PS Your orchid is proudly on display at SW1 :)
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 May 2012

A fantastic hidden gem,with excellent staff and service,The full day we spent in the spa was the highlight of our Holiday.We will be returning to Sw1 on our next trip to Cape Town.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Mcshanerus
Terri C, Owner at SW1 Lodge, responded to this review, 21 August 2012
Dear S

I am thrilled that you loved your stay at SW1! It's a long way from Jakarta!!!
I am so sorry I did not get to see you but your stay was at a time I was quite ill and I was 'down and out' for a few weeks. But you were in very good hands with Tobie :)
I hope that next time you will return with Ruald and the kids.

All the best
South Africa
Reviewed 29 April 2012

My wife and I spent a memorable weekend at SW1 in April.Nestled in the hills of nearby
Somerset West,this haven of tranquillity provided us with an unforgettable experience.
The communications prior to our arrival were excellent and on arrival,the personal touch by
manager Tobie set the tone of a high quality lodge.
We were escorted to our room-a magnificently furnished and spacious and an en-suite
the size of a normal room with a double shower- all very tastefully decorated.
The service throughout our stay was nothing short of superb and the the pamper sessions
were organized in advance -the facilities rate with the very best I have experienced as
a senior diplomat.
Room service was prompt and the food beautifully presented and tasty.
The place is spotlessly clean and well maintained.
This applied to the pool, the jacuzzi and the carefully manicured lawns.
Our stay included a visit to Jenna Viva-a fiesty restaurant close by where we enjoyed good food,music and live entertainment.
The staff were friendly and helpful at all times.My wife would have loved to stay longer but
we had commitments which did not make that possible.
We truly and with confidence can recommend SW1 to all those seeking a break and for rest
and relaxation.A great place that we hope to visit again

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank ProfSouthAfrica
Terri C, Owner at SW1 Lodge, responded to this review, 30 April 2012
Dear Prof

We at SW1 are simply THRILLED with your wonderful review of us! It was a great pleasure and privilege to have you and your wife stay with us. We appreciate the many travel experiences you have had as a senior diplomat and this makes us even more elated by your kind words. Each person on staff who interacted with you was impressed by your warmth and kindness and also by your great humility. We are so proud to have been chosen by you as the place for you and your lovely wife to celebrate your very special milestone anniversary. Tobie and his Lodge and Spa team look forward to welcoming you back to SW1 soon.

We are also pleased that you enjoyed your experience at JennaVIVA, our sister company. Shaun Wight, JennaVIVA's GM, has been made aware of your compliment and will convey this to his staff.

Our very best wishes to you until we see you again.
South Africa
Reviewed 29 April 2012

I was at SW1 in March and l really enjoyed myself, we were welcomed by the ever smiling Kerry and she was really helpful in every way. The décor is amazing and Kerry also told us that Terri (the owner) did the décor, all l can say is Terri you are the best. I also enjoy the spa treatments and everything that l experienced at SW1, friendly staff, the light lunch was very delicious and l really enjoyed all thanks to the chef.
l must say SW1 is the most relaxing place that l have ever been thank you guys for hosting us.
It is a hidden heaven for sure.

Room Tip: Tsala Tsala is the best with a very nice view of the sea
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Lindsey V
Terri C, Owner at SW1 Lodge, responded to this review, 30 April 2012
Dear Lindsey

Thank you so much for your very complimentary review of SW1. We are so pleased that we 'hit the mark' with you. Kerry is also thrilled at being singled out! We are also glad to hear that you enjoyed your spa treatments and your meal.

I am very flatterd by your appreciation of SW1's decor style. SW1's decor and design was a labour of love and something I totally enjoyed doing. Having you appreciate the outcome makes it even more worthwhile.

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post your comments on this valuable site.

We hope you will return to SW1 very soon.