“Winelands gastronomy at its best!”

The Restaurant at Waterkloof
Ranked #4 of 126 Restaurants in Somerset West
Price range: US$24 - US$71
Cuisines: Contemporary, International
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Groups, Romantic, View
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Fine dining in the heart of the winlelands with spectacular views over False bay . Lunch Monday to sunday 12 to 2 pm . Dinner monday to saturday 7 pm to 9 pm
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Our best Sunday lunch this year.
It was our second time at Waterkloof, last time was about 3/4 years ago and we were slightly underwhelmed at the time!
Well, our palates are probably better trained now and we enjoyed the food tremendously. We tasted 9 dishes all together, only one was a little weird for us, but not of any fault in the ingredients or construction, just a question of taste. The other 8 were absolutely delicious, well balanced in textures, flavors and a feast to the eye! Yes, yes, even the caramelized white chocolate mousse!!!
We will most definitely recommend to all.

Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

Went to lunch to celebrate a big number birthday with a friend and the service was wonderful. We were a party of 4 and the food was top quality. The foie gras was exceptional with combinations of flavours of the accompaniments (apple compote) is a must. The porcini mouse should also not be missed. The fillet with apple was also a winner. Monkfish was the least popular with a disappointing presentation. Desserts were all oustanding. All in all a fabulous gastronomical experience just a pity it was raining on the day of our visit so the view could not be fully appreciated. Well woryh the visit.

Reviewed 2 May 2014

We loved our dining experience at Waterkloof, but it would not be the type of place that one would visit regularly as the prices are rather exorbitant.

Reviewed 23 April 2014

Twice before I've reviewed this restaurant and every time I gave it high praises. Not so this time. I have absolutely no problem with small portions, but what I received on my plate this particular day bordered on the ridiculous: two of the TINIEST strips of duck, each about the length and thickness of my index finger. So did my niece who had ordered the same dish. And I'm talking MAIN COURSE here!
The setting is still as spectacular as ever and the rest of the food was still good. But it seems that every year the prices are getting higher and the portions smaller. Very disappointing! Judging by the emptiness of the restaurant we don't seem to be the only ones having noticed this. The only reason I'm still giving this restaurant three stars is that my husband had ordered the Karan beef which was really outstanding and of a sufficient portion. If you have only one day for fine dining in Somerset West, rather go to the recently opened "Equus at Cavalli" (reviewed separately): the setting is just as spectacular and you'll have a lot more value for money!

Reviewed 10 April 2014

Well, having read the "poor" and "terrible" reviews on this restaurant, I am not sure we went to the same place... I have eaten here 4 times in the last 6 months and loved every meal.

The setting is one of the most beautiful places you will ever eat - surrounded by the HH mountains, vineyards, views across False Bay and a peak all the way over to the back of Table Mountain. The new furniture on the roof terrace makes this a must visit for sundowners.

The waiting staff are extremely knowledgable and can explain each element of the dish to you and will recommend wine to accompany your food. The karan fillet of beef was one of the best pieces of meat I have ever had. And I didn't think the portions were that small, my other half who has a large appetite, was satisifed at the end of the meal. I think South Africans in general enjoy overly large portions so this would probably be a shock for them.

Yes, for South Africans I can imagine that it can be an expensive indulgence. The restaurant is quite often filled with foreigners which implies that it is on the pricey side. And the chef, sure, he's a little tempramental but he can temprament as much as he likes as long as he keeps feeding me like that.